Quick question on driving/rest hours

Hi Guys.
I am joining some agencies tomorrow and have the stupid ‘idiot’ test to do. You know the sort, which s the correct spelling/colour etc
Also will have a test on hours/rest periods.
I know what I need to know for my job (Mon-Fri), every 4.5 hours i need 45 mins break, maybe split into 1x15 + 1x30 min break max 56 hours week, 90 in two weeks etc, etc.
They’re bound to ask me about rest periods (is it 11 hours, reduced to 9 3x a week) etc. Also they will ask about nights out/rests away from base etc.
Anyone give me a few QUICK reminders?

You’re doing OK so far, anything specific you’re not sure about??

Good luck with the interviews. :wink:

could do a search for posts containing “hours” by “coffeeholic” :bulb:

Think this takes you to them trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/search.php?mode=results

flying_fenman:

There bound to ask about rest period away from home if I’m tramping etc. Also minimum weekly rest etc. I know I can do 6 days out of 7 every other week so long as I do no more than 90 hours in a fornight. I take it that is 90 hours DRIVING not 90 hours working is it? How many hours can I work in addition to drive?To be honest I have only remembered the stuff that ir relevant to the job I am doing.

dangerousdave:

flying_fenman:

There bound to ask about rest period away from home if I’m tramping etc. Also minimum weekly rest etc. I know I can do 6 days out of 7 every other week so long as I do no more than 90 hours in a fornight. I take it that is 90 hours DRIVING not 90 hours working is it? How many hours can I work in addition to drive?To be honest I have only remembered the stuff that ir relevant to the job I am doing.

Daily and weekly rest periods are the same whether home or away. 11 hours daily which can be reduced to 9 three times between weekly rest periods. Weekly rest 45 hours which can be reduced to 24 hours every second week.

The 56 hours per week and the 90 hours per fortnight limits are just driving time.

How long you can work in addition to driving depends on daily rest periods, breaks and the WTD. In simple terms if you are taking an 11 hour daily rest then the maximum shift length is 13 hours, including driving, other work, breaks and POA. If you have 9 hour daily rests still available then maximum shift length is 15 hours.

Under the WTD there is a weekly working limit of 60 hours with an average over a set period, varies from firm to firm, of 48 hours but this is only working time and does not include breaks or POA so you could still total 90 hours of shift time for the week.

dangerousdave:
There bound to ask about rest period away from home if I’m tramping etc. Also minimum weekly rest etc.

It’s the same whether you’re home or away now. 45 hours minumum, but can be reduced to 24. You must pay back the reduction en bloc by the end of the third week following the week in question and attached to a rest period of at least 9 hours.

Also, a full weekly rest period must follow a reduced weekly rest - in other words no more than 1 reduced weekly rest in any 2.

dangerousdave:
I take it that is 90 hours DRIVING not 90 hours working is it? How many hours can I work in addition to drive?

90 hours max driving in a fortnight, 56 hours max driving in a week (4 x 9 hours driving plus 2 x 10 hours driving equals 56 hours.)

In theory - the maximum duty hours is 84 - 3 x 13 hour days and 3 x 15 hour days. But bear in mind you need to average 48 hours WORK (that means duty time less breaks and POA) to comply with the WTD.

Hope this helps.

I now await being shot to bits by someone who knows better!! :laughing:

Save going through things one at a time have a read of this, should get you sorted but you can always post back here if there’s anything you’re not sure about.

Good luck with the interviews.

flying_fenman:

One little shot please? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

flying_fenman:
In theory - the maximum duty hours is 84 - 3 x 13 hour days and 3 x 15 hour days.

90 hours, 6x15 with split daily rests. I’ll be doing that this week. ££££££££ :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: We do it once every 4 weeks when it is our 3 x Dublin runs on the rota and 4 hours each day is spent on the ferry.

Coffeeholic:

flying_fenman:

One little shot please? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

flying_fenman:
In theory - the maximum duty hours is 84 - 3 x 13 hour days and 3 x 15 hour days.

90 hours, 6x15 with split daily rests. I’ll be doing that this week. ££££££££ :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

Damnit Neil!!! I knew I’d missed something out!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So, am I right in thinking that you will therefore be extending your daily rest to 12 hours, but splitting it into no more than two parts where the first will be at least 3 hours and the second will be at least 9 hours? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

Pass me the vodka!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

flying_fenman:
Also, a full weekly rest period must follow a reduced weekly rest - in other words no more than 1 reduced weekly rest in any 2.

Sorry but I don’t think that’s quite accurate m8, in any two consecutive weeks you should have at least one full weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest or two full weekly rests, there’s nothing to stop you having more than one weekly rest in a week so theoretically you could have two reduced weekly rests back to back.

flying_fenman:
So, am I right in thinking that you will therefore be extending your daily rest to 12 hours, but splitting it into no more than two parts where the first will be at least 3 hours and the second will be at least 9 hours? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

Yep, on each of the next 6 days. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

tachograph:

flying_fenman:

Sorry but I don’t think that’s quite accurate m8, in any two consecutive weeks you should have at least one full weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest or two full weekly rests, there’s nothing to stop you having more than one weekly rest in a week so theoretically you could have two reduced weekly rests back to back.

Yes I suppose so. :blush:

I’m thinking of a straightforward Monday - Friday working week in my answer.

Having thought about it, I suppose it might apply if working for an agency more than ever, what with demand at weekends and so on.

Good shot!! :laughing:

nice and simple then!
So i can do 6 nights trunking every other week and 5 on alternate weeks? So long as i only drive 9 hours a night (with a 45 mins break). Is that right?

dangerousdave:
nice and simple then!
So i can do 6 nights trunking every other week and 5 on alternate weeks? So long as i only drive 9 hours a night (with a 45 mins break). Is that right?

As long as you can compensate for the reduced weekly rest every other week (or by the end of the third week) no problem, If you’re working nights there is a limit of 10 hours that you’re allowed to work unless the company’s workers have opted out of the night time 10 hour rule.

could be my turn to get shot down this time :wink:

edit: 11 nights a fortnight at 9 hours driving each night would put you over the 90 hours a fortnight driving limit :frowning:

tachograph:
could be my turn to get shot down this time :wink:

Could be. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

tachograph:
As long as you can compensate for the reduced weekly rest every other week (or by the end of the third week

4th week, by the end of the third week following the reduction. :wink:

How complicated is all that! :open_mouth:
A lot of the foreign lorry drivers ignore all the driving hours and speed limits and get away with it. SO if I do say night trunking and actually drive for 8 hours a night (but am at work for 9 hours), would I be ok to do 6 nights one week and 5 nights the next and then alternate? I take it it is 90 hours DRIVING in a fortnight and not 90 hours WORKING. Is that right

dangerousdave:
A lot of the foreign lorry drivers ignore all the driving hours and speed limits and get away with it.

Not always, and it is becoming harder for them to get away with it. Don’t forget those drivers return back over the Channel and in places like France and Germany encounter a lot more controls. If they have been taking insufficient rest they can and will get done for it.

dangerousdave:
SO if I do say night trunking and actually drive for 8 hours a night (but am at work for 9 hours), would I be ok to do 6 nights one week and 5 nights the next and then alternate?

Yes, although with 8 hours driving you will likely be at work longer than 9 hours but that isn’'t a problem.

dangerousdave:
I take it it is 90 hours DRIVING in a fortnight and not 90 hours WORKING. Is that right

Yes, as already mentioned further up the thread.

dangerousdave:

Simple version that covers most situations.

9 hours driving per day which can be increased to 10 hours twice a week.

Maximum of 56 hours driving per week and 90 hours driving per fortnight.

A daily rest period of 11 hours is required each day leaving you a potential shift length of 13 hours. Can be reduced to 9 hours on 3 occasions between weekly rest periods leaving a potential shift length of 15 hours.

No more than 4.5 hours accumulated driving without a break of at least 45 minutes. The 45 minutes can be split into two parts, the first at least 15 minutes and the second at least 30 minutes. This is the only way it can be split, if you take 30 minutes first you will still need to take 30 minutes for the second part.

A full weekly rest is 45 hours and a reduced weekly rest is a period between 24 and 45 hours. In any two weeks a driver must take at least two full weekly rest periods or one full and one reduced.

If you do reduce the weekly rest the amount of the reduction must be compensated for by adding it, in one block, to another rest period of at least 9 hours and this must be done before the end of the third week following the reduction. This means if you take a reduced weekly rest in week 1 you must have made the hours up by the end of week 4, week 2 by the end of week 5 etc etc. However, if you do Monday to Saturday one week and Monday to Friday the next you will most likely compensate for the reduced rest the following week. A weekly rest from Saturday to Monday is usually around 36 hours while Friday to Monday would be around 60 hours so the 9 or so hour reduction is more than covered the following week.

That’s pretty much it as far as the tacho rules go, There are a couple of other things the WTD introduces to the pot but if you stick to the above you will pretty much comply with the WTD without even trying and it is best to get the tacho rules sorted first as the consequences of breaking them is more serious than the WTD.

Ta very much. I’m not too bothered about WTD, but dont want to break tacho laws.
Talked to my agencies today. Why are all the ‘Managers’ blonde and 17? :open_mouth:
I think I have got some nice trunking work lined up…just gotta meet with Court officials tomorow morning to sort out seeing my son more and then I should be sorted by Wednesday.

coffeeholic said:

9 hours driving per day which can be increased to 10 hours on two occasions between weekly rest periods.

Neil I really hope that you didn’t mean what you said. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The ability to extend a daily driving period from 9 to 10 hours is twice per week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday), it’s daily rest that may be reduced up to 3 times between weekly rest periods.