Quick question on digi tacho

I work on agency, now for the company I’m working for I might drive 3-4 different trucks in a shift. So I have to take my digi card with me in each truck.
My question is, when my driving time comes up to 4 and half hours and I am back at the yard to return a truck. I can go to the canteen to have a break, or I can jump into another truck and do another job. How does the driving time reset itself/ how does it know if I’ve had a break if its not in a tacho machine?

Thanks for any advice

I hope I’ve described this right …

personally I’d get your card in the next truck ya using & record the break on ya card before going to the canteen, keep to how vosa wanna see it if they need to check ya card!

Yeh that’s what I’d like to do but it never seems to happen like that, I walk out to one truck then a minute later be told I’m taking something else…

Manual entries when you take over a new truck

fordboxer:
I work on agency, now for the company I’m working for I might drive 3-4 different trucks in a shift. So I have to take my digi card with me in each truck.
My question is, when my driving time comes up to 4 and half hours and I am back at the yard to return a truck. I can go to the canteen to have a break, or I can jump into another truck and do another job. How does the driving time reset itself/ how does it know if I’ve had a break if its not in a tacho machine?

Thanks for any advice

I hope I’ve described this right …

I’m not sure what you mean when you say that when your driving time is coming up-to 4½ hours you can have a break or jump into another truck and do another job :confused:

When you reach 4½ hours driving time you need to have a break, no ifs buts or maybes, if you don’t and get stopped by VOSA you will be fined and possibly parked up until you’ve had the break.

Anyway back to the question, when you take your card out and have your break in the canteen or wherever, you get into another vehicle after the break and input a manual entry into the tachograph for the break.

The data on your card is read by the VU and the VU does the calculations, so if you don’t manually input a period of time for a break the VU won’t register one and the driving time won’t be reset, you will then get an infringement.

Oh right ok, thanks, manual entry was the answer I was after.

Yeh I understand its the law hence why I asked this question, but thanks.

When you swap trucks do you do an other work manual entry to cover the time for the card being swapped over ?

No I don’t

fordboxer:
No I don’t

THE WHOLE OF YOUR SHIFT MUST BE RECORDED BY LAW

This means that manual entries must be done to cover any periods when a tachograph unit is not available - either done on printout paper or manually inputted when you next get a unit in which to use your card

fordboxer:
No I don’t

You should. It’s a legal requirement. OK, in reality no-one is going to bat a VOSA eyelid over the odd minute or two “missing” while you swap vehicles (it’s going to happen sometimes due to the clocks in the vehicles being a few minutes adrift anyway), but if you make it part of your normal procedure, you won’t get caught out if on occasion you have to wait a while for a vehicle to become available, or (as you originally asked) if you decide to go take a break during the swap-over.

Ok I will do from now on, thanks very much, appreciate it.

fordboxer:
No I don’t

That’s what I suspected. Cos if you did you’d know to put the bed symbol on your manual entry for the time spent in the canteen instead of crossed hammers for when you’re swapping trucks.

Vosa would give you a telling off if there’s any missing time in your working day and would be well within their rights to fine you for it.

Still, now you know :smiley:

Yep, I certainly do! Cheers mate