Quick question about reversing a rigid

Just a quick question about reversing, say if I drove into the yard to get unloaded and u had no room to turn around so I had to reverse out onto the main road, how would I get the traffic to stop or how would I even know where the traffic is as the mirrors won’t see them coming from the side??
Thanks

Use a banks man or check the yard before pulling in ,if there isn’t room reverse in

Although this is a last resort asking someone to watch out for traffic can help but don’t rely on them too much its your responsibility to be as safe as possible.

Unless the yard is incredibly small you should be able to shunt a few times to get turned round, try making sure the vehicles moving slowly before putting all the lock on as you will scrub the tires a lot if locking round at a standstill. Oh and that strange smell will be the clutch burning if a lot of shunts are involved.

If theres space try parking outside first and checking the yard out to see if theres room or asking someone to watch you back whilst reversing into the yard. Customers wont appreciate you reversing into their yards unguided.

Over time you will become familiar with different yards but using googles streetview if you know where your going the day before can save time.

Don’t let the pressure of the next job cause you to rush leaving the first as a professional driver safety of those around you is your priority.

Well done for asking questions, if in doubt always ask.

Ryan090:
Just a quick question about reversing, say if I drove into the yard to get unloaded and u had no room to turn around so I had to reverse out onto the main road, how would I get the traffic to stop or how would I even know where the traffic is as the mirrors won’t see them coming from the side??
Thanks

If you can’t turn round it’s generally better to reverse in so you can drive out.

However if you do find yourself in a position where you have to reverse out onto a busy road and you can’t see the traffic, ask someone from where you’re delivering to help you.
If you have to reverse out it’s likely that the people there will have helped other drivers to reverse out, so they’ll be used to doing it.

If no one is available to help you, or can help you, then when you’re reversing out take it slowly and carefully. Sometimes having the hazards on helps but most drivers will try and drive around you anyway.

Your best bet is to have driven past the site slowly and carefully and had a look before you make the choice to drive in. With time you’d get better confidence and the like.

Reverse in,drive out.

tachograph:

Ryan090:
Thanks

If you can’t turn round it’s generally better to reverse in so you can drive out.

However if you do find yourself in a position where you have to reverse out onto a busy road and you can’t see the traffic, ask someone from where you’re delivering to help you.
If you have to reverse out it’s likely that the people there will have helped other drivers to reverse out, so they’ll be used to doing it.

+1

This I have done a few times and saved me a few times from getting in to a dodgy situation. The customer might have a moan but it’s better then wasting driving time shunting every where :smiley: :smiley:

Despite what everyone says that it shouldn’t happen etc etc. It does happen and there are times when for whatever reason you need to reverse out of a yard, side road, field entrance etc blind without help.

I usually hit the hazards, rear beacon strobes and make sure reverse alarm is on, three short blasts on the horn to alert anyone coming along and then reverse out slowly checking the mirrors, you’ll still get people driving, walking behind but eventually the point sinks in and they will stop. If you come out slowly anyone too close to stop will have space to pass, anyone who runs out of space will have seen you coming in plenty of time to stop.

A couple of toots of the horn as thanks to anyone who has stopped.

8wheels:
Despite what everyone says that it shouldn’t happen etc etc. It does happen and there are times when for whatever reason you need to reverse out of a yard, side road, field entrance etc blind without help.

I usually hit the hazards, rear beacon strobes and make sure reverse alarm is on, three short blasts on the horn to alert anyone coming along and then reverse out slowly checking the mirrors, you’ll still get people driving, walking behind but eventually the point sinks in and they will stop. If you come out slowly anyone too close to stop will have space to pass, anyone who runs out of space will have seen you coming in plenty of time to stop.

A couple of toots of the horn as thanks to anyone who has stopped.

+1 :smiley:

Always check before turning in! This can apply to anywhere whether it be whilst driving on a main road or when turning into a yard. Don’t just drive in blind. If in doubt stick your hazards on, park at the side and get out and have a little walk around the corner/into the yard to check it out. Most of the time with good planning you can see before you turn anyway, but if in doubt - get out.

I find myself in this predicament at least a few times a week, not so much with yards but streets in housing eastates. I very rarely deliver twice to the same address it’s kinda hard to plan or to foresee.
When no banksman is available there is only two ways I’ve found
1, hazzards and becons flashing, creep out half a foot at a time.

2, put out cones onto the road you intend to merge onto also applying the above.
But you’ll still get impatient funkwits cutting accross your tail no matter wtf you do…it is a big danger and is one of the many reasons I listed when trying to get a “drivers mate”.

I did a site in the middle of Walthamstow loaded like this picture that Constantine took

I had to reverse into the site and had two banksmen to assist (for a change) I still had several people dash behind on foot. It makes me wonder what is so good about their job they are willing to risk their neck for. It was an easy access job so would have held them up for 10-20 seconds.

One of the best bits of advice I ever listened to was “don’t drive into what you can’t drive out of”.

I’ve worked on both builders merchants & builders skips for over 5yrs yet I cannot remember a single instance where I’ve had to blind reverse onto any road.

Chas:
One of the best bits of advice I ever listened to was “don’t drive into what you can’t drive out of”.

I’ve worked on both builders merchants & builders skips for over 5yrs yet I cannot remember a single instance where I’ve had to blind reverse onto any road.

little skip truck would not of been hard to reverse blind all them windows short wheelbase :unamused:

Chas:

^ This.Reversing onto any road blind is just a matter of the odds and luck.Eventually they’ll runout and things could get very awkward at that point.While often a rigid can be turned round in very tight places remembering that unlike an artic or drawbar trailer you can change lock from one side to the other while standing still between shunts.

Hiab on the front, drive in to get the crane inwards. Gateway at a funny angle. Cant make a turn so have to reverse around the last corner to turn around. Happens at least once a week in my job.

All of the above + Try and start your reverse when a truck is heading your way, more likely that a truckdriver will stop and hold the traffic than any other driver on the road!

Martin:
All of the above + Try and start your reverse when a truck is heading your way, more likely that a truckdriver will stop and hold the traffic than any other driver on the road!

+1

I have had it done to me many of times and I have also repaid the favour back