quick query

Hello

I have a quick question for people in the know. Im pretty new to this business,but next week i have to collect a unaccompanied trailer from europe from the port. My question is regarding the cmr paperwork, does this normally come attached with the trailer when i collect it or do i receive this from the company that owns the trailer?

its probably a stupid question but i havent done a run like this before

many thanks :slight_smile:

When I did this job a few years back, the notes were normally in a tube connected to the trailer or just inside the back doors

ah great, thats fine, thank you :slight_smile:

Dont forget the palm couplings,lenses, bulbs,windy up handle . .

The CMR and other paperwork may be in the freight check in office in the port.
Ships have a ships bag to carry all the paperwork of the trailers.
If your trailer is sealed,break the seal and check the load.
The driver that dropped it,may have taken off the ratchet straps.

Check the condition of the tyres by moving the trailer a few inches.
Shared trailers get abused and pass it on to the next driver as it is not their problem.
If stood a while,it may take a while to build up the air.
You may need to secure the load when collecting it,about 12 ratchet straps should be ok.

toby1234abc:

Maybe that’s OK in Tobyland, but in the real world, this could cause REAL problems.

You of all people should know that you can’t just go removing international journey seals willy-nilly like you’ve suggested. :unamused:

toby1234abc:
The driver that dropped it,may have taken off the ratchet straps.

In which case the seal number will be different to the one on the paperwork!! Get someone in authority and show them seal differences, could end up costing someone if not reported!!

trevm:

Hi trevm,

It’s not a stupid question at all, and you’ve had good and useful answers, … except one from Toby, which you’d be best advised to ignore completely.

Removing a seal generally needs some sort of permission from somebody, and the fact that a trailer is sealed is vey often recorded on the paperwork.

oh and if there’s a weigh bridge ( Portsmouth have one inside the dock by the dock gate just past passport control) use it if it feels heavy.

dieseldave:

trevm:

Hi trevm,

It’s not a stupid question at all, and you’ve had good and useful answers, … except one from Toby, which you’d be best advised to ignore completely.

Removing a seal generally needs some sort of permission from somebody, and the fact that a trailer is sealed is vey often recorded on the paperwork.

How would a driver know the load is safe for the road? If the driver can’t see the load or it’s restraint method.
I expect many drivers doing port runs are transporting loads which they have no knowledge about.

chester:

dieseldave:

trevm:

Hi trevm,

How would a driver know the load is safe for the road? If the driver can’t see the load or it’s restraint method.
I expect many drivers doing port runs are transporting loads which they have no knowledge about.

we would collect our own trailers but would still open them and check

The driver should bring his own seal, and record the new number on the POD or CMR,clause the paperwork with wording such as “Driver broke seal to check the load and secure it.”
Getting a trailer from Europe is not a customs procedure, so why the problem with putting a new seal on the trailer.It may not have a TIR cord around the sides and back,and may not be a tilt trailer.
If it is a tautliner,anyone can open the sides to gain entry and steal cargo,a seal will not prevent that.
If the driver did not check the load, and is stopped by DVSA,or cargo moves and falls out the curtain, how do you explain that.

Tob, its not often i say these words but… i agree with you !!!

100% you are fully responsible for the security of the load and after potentially going round the 1st bend and the load dropping out of the side of the trailer, i,m afraid telling old VOSA that it was sealed at the port so you could,nt check it just wont wash with them.

i would suggest at least having another seal, IF the load or instructions from your company demand that it stay sealed, and checking trailer for load security preferably in front of somebody within the port who can countersign C.M.R.

I have had sealed loads arriving back into Dover and pulled into the sheds and had them taken off by customs without a thought that i might not have a spare seal !!

Has any driver on this forum been told that they can’t break a seal to check the load and restraint system by any office wallopers?

If so, what did you do?

Suedehead:
Dont forget the palm couplings,lenses, bulbs,windy up handle . .

Amen.

You can get palm coupling converters from most mech firms near ports so you can keep your uk air lines.

You’ll need a number plate that you can chain/bungee to the trailer.

Also don’t forget to take off the stuff that you’ve put on the trailer when you drop him. Euro bulbs are double contact, usually single filament, your uk bulbs won’t work.

To be fair, I never had anyone check the seals on the 200 odd I done when times was hard & you really should know what it looks like in the back although Euro’s are as you would assume fairly tidy on that front, that’s not to say I haven’t pulled trailers where I haven’t looked in the back.

Unless you’re doing super high value, most firms don’t give a chuff about the seal, though don’t take that as red. Likesay if it’s 2 tonne papers reels, no one’s gonna nick them are they?

This VOSA load security push should not encourage drivers to break seals willy-nilly, I take the point about paper reels, but if lads in the warehouse are on the rob you’ll get the finger of blame pointing at you if the seal was broken.

Despite what they suggest there was no real issue in this country with loads falling out of taut/curtain/tilt/euroliner and their ilk trailers. Given the way the shunters will have driven it if you drive carefully it should be fine.

Another point to add,when collecting the paperwork for the trailer,it may be written not in English.Another reason to get in the trailer to see what the load is.
You will have to come through the UKBA checks when arriving in the UK and the driver is responsible for anything illegal brought in.
Most firms ship trailers only to and from the UK by using port tug tractors.
Wih some luck,the load may have been secured with internal straps,but the weight limit for each strap is only 400kgs.
Anything heavier than 400kgs,a ratchet strap is needed.