Quick Curtain Question

Altho i’m driving a curtain sider 95% of the time we just use rear roller door, and the times we have used the curtains as were dual manned the other lads generally had em open quick sharp etc…but i was just wondering for example - say we need to get 1 pallet off from the headboard so just unclip 3 or 4 straps etc, when tightening the pole up do you need to tighten from both ends or just the headboard end we opened ? I’m asking because today we had the full curtain open and the other lad who has loads of general haulage experience tightened both sides, whereas i’ve come from tippers and nobodys really explained the procedure to me - soz for being a dumbass, just wanted to be safe than sorry! :sunglasses:

whenever Ive had a curtainsider Ive only ever tightened the one pole nearest the headboard as that was how the guy who showed me how to do it on my first ever job did it

If you are open only few straps it’s enough, as the rest are keeping courtain on position.

If you have opened the full curtain and had both poles out it is a good idea to re-tension both ends by the same amount, if you were to just tighten the front pole the next time wanted to open the back up you will struggle getting it out, if at all.
Then you would have to undo all of the buckles to release the tension at the front end.

Never wind all the slack curtain around one pole… even it out front to back.

Of course this doesn’t apply to curtainsiders where only one end has a tensioner ( never been quite sure why anyone would want that kind of setup but I have had to work with one or two ).

Wayne is so right. Makes it much easier.

One of our trucks has short curtains. You barely get 3/4 clicks on the ratchet at
one end. Now that’s a pain.

I always wonder why I see so many slack curtains. A tightly ratcheted curtain with tight buckles is good for improving fuel consumption.

Curtains are just horrible…they bring me out in a rash nowadays.

Thanks, it’s just no one has really shown me or explained, they all presume you just know :frowning:

You should try in my last job :slight_smile:

On day as I started doind new runs. I asked them for adresses, to work the route with google maps, but they kept talking me “no worry, everything will be OK”. That day I came to work and I seen van parked outside, gates closed, office closed.

Security guy had a keys for me…

And that’s all. No paperwork, no instructions, nothing. Just sit and drive where you want maybe?

I managed to find private mobile to one of company’s owners and he gave me another number to one of supervisor’s. He was quite angry: how can I disturb him in saturday evening? Every other driver knows that! You will get all paperwork in printing works.

So I told him to just give me adress to this paperwork and I will manage. But that looked impossible for him, that polish guy will be smart enough to find the adress, so he dragged some other driver from his home (you can guess how happy he was) and he come to work and did that run with me :wink:

orys you are class, its like listening to borat, no offence intended at all :laughing:

Nice to hear, that at least you have some fun from my language.

But at last my former employer is not discriminating people from abroad: they do not want to give any informations and ripping on salaries scottish guys excactly the same way as me :wink:

i go to glasgow 3 times a week and its easier to understand you :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I was told by some Americans, that I already have some scottish accent - should I be worry? :wink:

Don’t worry Orys, your doing fine. Where I work we are teaching the Polish, Hungarian, Spanish, Braziilian and French drivers to speak with a West-Country accent so they sound like international yokels. The only trouble is they can’t hold their cider! :laughing: :laughing:

You know, whe in Poland aren’t used to drink juice :slight_smile:

Try to beat them in vodka drinking :wink: