Queuing on hard shoulder

So traffic is backed up on slip road back to the carriageway, do you block the road or the hard shoulder?

if the carriageway is flowing well, its better than some numpty running up the back of you.

maga:
if the carriageway is flowing well, its better than some numpty running up the back of you.

thing is if you H/S you’ll prob get the ticket to the ball H/S emergency only really and the main carriageway has a few more lanes

I asked this question of a driving test examiner.
His reply, without hesitation, was to use the hard shoulder as it was safer.
If you’ve seen the traffic getting off the westbound M4 at Llanelli, you’ll understand why I asked!
Paul

USE HARD SHOULDER - the cops agree as well

This happens a lot on a regular basis in the rush at certain junctions

I use the H/S, but only if the ones in front of me are otherwise I’d look ridiculous tbh. I always keep my foot firmly on the brakes and one eye on the mirror too, someone hitting the back of me at 70+ mph aint gonna hurt me with my 60 foot cushion, but I could possibly spoil Christmas for the car in front if I’m shunted into him.

I noticed this on the m 40 south the other month. Junction after Warwick services. A 1 mile queue on the hard shoulder.

Thought it was a good idea although not very good if you actually want that junction and are completely unaware of the protocol of the commuters.

ROG:
USE HARD SHOULDER - the cops agree as well

This happens a lot on a regular basis in the rush at certain junctions

There appears to be as you say…“certain junctions” where this happens regularly. There was a recent post here from a driver who was bollocked by HATO for queing in the HS, and infact he got a mouthful off him. From what i see the rule of thumb is just do what everyone else is doing. Its not like you can pull on the HS if everyone else is in the lane or vis versa. And of course there’s the old…"what if emergency services want to get on the HS "? , you’re not on your own if you’re in a half mile queue :smiley:

trubster:
I noticed this on the m 40 south the other month. Junction after Warwick services. A 1 mile queue on the hard shoulder.

Thought it was a good idea although not very good if you actually want that junction and are completely unaware of the protocol of the commuters.

gate twelve at gaydon :grimacing:

Several places on the M42 the HS has been adapted to allow traffic to use the additional lane as an exit, you still get cretins trying to push in at the very last moment.

The hard shoulder in normal circumstances is for emergency only, so could result in a ticket, on the otherhand, if you were to queue on the H/S with hazards going, its highly likely that some other motorist would think you have broken down and queue at the side of you, therefore blocking you in, I would personally queue on the carriageway, with hazards on, as i would assume that the lights would be flashing showing a lane closure, depending on the queue.

Queue on carriageway but leave a large gap on front so if you do get shunted you don’t get pushed into anyone else.
Also, you may not know the queue on the H/S is for a Jct so you could inadvertently block the H/S for emergency services if it was due to an accident.

Most HS queuing is done at regular places and times

truckyboy:
The hard shoulder in normal circumstances is for emergency only, so could result in a ticket, on the otherhand, if you were to queue on the H/S with hazards going, its highly likely that some other motorist would think you have broken down and queue at the side of you, therefore blocking you in, I would personally queue on the carriageway, with hazards on, as i would assume that the lights would be flashing showing a lane closure, depending on the queue.

May I respectfully suggest that you follow a “monkey see, monkey” do attitude to this because if stop in lane one at the back of a queue on the H/S waiting to come off at the jct you may be legally in the right but I guarantee you’ll end up with cars queueing up your inside at best or some twonk updating their profile buried in your back doors at worst.

m1cks:
Also, you may not know the queue on the H/S is for a Jct so you could inadvertently block the H/S for emergency services if it was due to an accident.

People don’t queue on the H/S for junctions if they are in two or three lanes of standing traffic. They only do it when the traffic is free flowing so as not to cause problems for traffic carrying straight on. Therefore your emergency services argument holds no water as they’d merely pass the traffic queuing on the H/S in lane one, two or three.

the maoster:
[quote
=“m1cks”]

People don’t queue on the H/S for junctions if they are in two or three lanes of standing traffic. They only do it when the traffic is free flowing so as not to cause problems for traffic carrying straight on. Therefore your emergency services argument holds no water as they’d merely pass the traffic queuing on the H/S in lane one, two or three.
[/quote]
But they cant exit can they

Yeah 'course they can Nick. They got blue lights and woop woop things, they just go to the front and push their way in (just like an Audi driver would).

If you picture it, emergency services running the H/S and coming off at a crowded junction are at some point gonna have to force their way through standing traffic as the H/S ends near the top of the slip anyway.

the maoster:
Yeah 'course they can Nick. They got blue lights and woop woop things, they just go to the front and push their way in (just like an Audi driver would).

If you picture it, emergency services running the H/S and coming off at a crowded junction are at some point gonna have to force their way through standing traffic as the H/S ends near the top of the slip anyway.

exactly that way they only have a short distance to fight through

Fatboy slimslow:

trubster:

gate twelve at gaydon :grimacing:

And Jct 14 M40. I never Q on H/S. Law is black and white(no common sense). Dashcam fitted. Bring it on!!!