Questions i need answers to

reversing horn
break after 6 hour
brake warning lights

1)The DAF unit is it right that the reversing horn only comes on when the main or dipped lights are switched off…Transport informed me that this is correct…I have never noticed this before until now when i refused to take out a unit whilst raining and dimmly lit at 11.am. I did do a defect

1. If after 4.5 hrs driving i take my driving break… do i also have to legally comply with the 30 minute break after 6 working hours. Its just i dont usually bother with it so i can get back quicker.

3 ) on the daf unit 3 orange lights came up 2 came up prior to me leaving the third enroute
Brake service
ABS trailer warning
EBS sytem warning

i did all i could with the lines… I wont slag off a national company i complained to transport and they reiterated the orange lights are okay so long as not red

on route the EBS light came on… Thats three lights informing me about the braking sytem one way or another of course i was concerned about the safety of myself and others and i rang transport whom informed me that it was not ideal bit still to carry on. Accountability negligance being stopped routinley by vosa having a third party accident was all going through my mind. should i have carried on like a dweeb

1. THe reversing horn is right in order to comply with the unsocial hours noise laws

2. No. Your 45 counts as a 30 minutes per 6 hrs. Basically you start a fresh 6hrs after the end of the 45.

3. They’ll fail an MOT. I’ll leave it up to you to make of that what you will.

WTD Breaks:

You must not work for more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
A break must be at least 15 minutes.

If you work a maximum nine hour shift, then you are entitled to 30 minutes overall. (so in this case you would need to take 15 minutes before the 6 hours was up and the other 15 anytime after that) But remember the drivers hours rules say you must total 45 minutes break for 4 1/2 hour driving - drivers hours trump the WTD

If you work over 9 hours in a shift then you are entitled to 45 minutes overall, but if you split the breaks the second break must be at least 30 minutes. (in this case you can take 15 minutes before the first 6 hours are up then the other 30 minutes anytime after that. Or you could take the whole 45 before 6 hours is up - it’s up to you as long as you don’t work for more than 6 consecutive hours without taking another break) As above, drivers hours trump the WTD.

So taking a 45 after 4 1/2 hours driving satisfies drivers hours and WTD regs.
There is nothing to say you must take 30 minutes after 6 hours in either set of rules, just that you must total 30 or 45 minutes break if your shift lasts over 6 hours. (and abide by drivers hours)

So as long as you have at least 15 minutes break before 6 hours work are up, all you have to worry about is your drivers hours. When you reach 4 1/2 hours total driving time, take the other 30 minutes break and start again.

See here.

Although I’ve said you must take 15 minutes before the 6 hours is up, I think that actually, you could take it at the end of 6 hours.
ie. Start at 6am - Break of 15 minutes at 11.59am = good
Start at 6am - Break of 15 minutes at 12.01pm = bad

See “Mobile worker A” if you follow the link above.

I can see what’s coming here :laughing: :laughing:

i was under the impression it was 30 mins not 15 mins, id have 30 mins if i was you,better safe than sorry

ady1:
i was under the impression it was 30 mins not 15 mins, id have 30 mins if i was you,better safe than sorry

Here we go again! LOL

Wait till Coffewhatsit reads this! LOL

Yes I didnt get it once but I have been converted! :laughing:

I argee with smoker.
That is exactly how i work my hours and i have had no problems.

Cheers Lee

ady1:

Follow the link and see for yourself. Scroll down to Mobile Worker A.

Imp:

ady1:

Here we go again! LOL

Wait till Coffewhatsit reads this! LOL

I read it at 13:30 this afternoon but I’ve given up and am saying no more on this subject, I just bang my head against the wall instead, a much less painful and frustrating experience. I can’t be arsed arguing with people who cannot read and pointing out the bleeding obvious to the terminally bewildered. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Smoker has picked up the baton and I wish him well with it, I’ll keep a head banging space on the wall for him. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Smoker has picked up the baton and I wish him well with it, I’ll keep a head banging space on the wall for him. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I didn’t realise you dropped it :astonished:
But thanks for the wall space anyway :laughing:
It leaves me wondering how many of your 9000 posts have been to do with this subject …

Conor:

1. No. Your 45 counts as a 30 minutes per 6 hrs. Basically you start a fresh 6hrs after the end of the 45.

A fresh 6 hour what?

Truck drivers must be the only profession wanting to take the shortest breaks possible, can you imagine a production line worker asking if its ok to take 15 mins instead of a 30 minute break?

goofball:
reversing horn
break after 6 hour
brake warning lights

1)The DAF unit is it right that the reversing horn only comes on when the main or dipped lights are switched off…Transport informed me that this is correct…I have never noticed this before until now when i refused to take out a unit whilst raining and dimmly lit at 11.am. I did do a defect

As has already been explained, its not a defect. Thats how they operate.

goofball:
2) If after 4.5 hrs driving i take my driving break… do i also have to legally comply with the 30 minute break after 6 working hours. Its just i dont usually bother with it so i can get back quicker.

Again, if you have taken your 45 minute break before 6 hours work is up then you don’t need to take another break. You’d of already had one.

goofball:
3 ) on the daf unit 3 orange lights came up 2 came up prior to me leaving the third enroute
Brake service
ABS trailer warning
EBS sytem warning

i did all i could with the lines… I wont slag off a national company i complained to transport and they reiterated the orange lights are okay so long as not red

on route the EBS light came on… Thats three lights informing me about the braking sytem one way or another of course i was concerned about the safety of myself and others and i rang transport whom informed me that it was not ideal bit still to carry on. Accountability negligance being stopped routinley by vosa having a third party accident was all going through my mind. should i have carried on like a dweeb

Traffic office was right, Orange (or amber) is a warning. Red is danger. You do’nt actually say what connections are on the tractor unit and what connections are on the trailer. If an orange EBS light is on your tractor and your trailer does not have an EBS socket them its just telling you that you are not operating EBS, same goes for ABS. I have only seen a very small amount of trailers with both ABS and EBS sockets (which look identical externally) and i’ve never ever seen a tractor unit with both sockets?

This one confused me. Ignore how long i have drove, but if i have done 6 hours and have a 30 min break do i then need to have another 30 min break if i am doing another 6+ hours?

LASHHGV:
This one confused me. Ignore how long i have drove, but if i have done 6 hours and have a 30 min break do i then need to have another 30 min break if i am doing another 6+ hours?

No.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Just for Neil

Conor:
2) No. Your 45 counts as a 30 minutes per 6 hrs. Basically you start a fresh 6hrs after the end of the 45.

Before this fella causes anymore mayhem and confusion with his guesses and misinterpretations, this is totally false.
IF you do have a 30 minute break at 6 hours, your next requirement to be met under the WTD is ‘if you exceed 9 hours work’ you will need to have taken 45 mins, so you will need another 15 minutes break. Your next stop after 9 hours work is curtains as you will of hit a 15 hour day, so your Daily rest comes in. Nothing at all to do with resetting 6 hours malarky.

Conor:
3) They’ll fail an MOT. I’ll leave it up to you to make of that what you will.

Even if the trailer is not fitted with ABS or EBS ?

smoker:

Coffeeholic:
Smoker has picked up the baton and I wish him well with it, I’ll keep a head banging space on the wall for him. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I didn’t realise you dropped it :astonished:
But thanks for the wall space anyway :laughing:
It leaves me wondering how many of your 9000 posts have been to do with this subject …

Probably about 8990 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: