2. The only 2 things I can think of that would make you
    go over your hours would be - A accident or a instruction
    from police officer when carrying a abnormal load. Have
    you had another reason to go over.

I posted this earlier today to do with going over your
hours because as the hour guard is a important tool to the
driver you need to use it right to stay legal -
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8937

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

My position is:
If for whatever reason, you cannot find a safe place to park when your 4.5h is nearly up, then proceed to the nearest feasible place to do so. Which means no passing of laybys to get to a truckstop :frowning:
Note it on your tacho when, where, and why you went over. Your next driving period can be as normal after your 45 min break, assuming you have enough daily hours available.
If you drive your 4.5 hours, then get stuck in the queue after an accident and it takes you 30mins to get somewhere you can park, then you’ve driven 5 hours. Take your 45, then you have 4 hours left on a 9, and 5 on a 10 hour drive.
Ensure you mark the time and place, then if a ministry man grabs you, they can confirm the delay with police records. There is allowance in the rules for going over to find a safe place to park in the case of unexpected holdups.

Agree with that allikat it’s the way I did the only time I got stuffed by driving hours & a jam.
My only problem is, & I don’t know of a way around it, that we are not suppose to remove the chart from the head, but we are suppose to claim any reason when it happens.
So we have to break a rule to keep to the rule, as there is no way around it.

Thanks for your help allikat much appreciated :smiley: .

If you drive over your hours in the first 4:30 session, for whatever reason, you still only have 9 hours driving in a day. That is unless you can do a 10.
You need to write on the back of your card the reason for going over the 4:30.

daxi:
Agree with that allikat it’s the way I did the only time I got stuffed by driving hours & a jam.
My only problem is, & I don’t know of a way around it, that we are not suppose to remove the chart from the head, but we are suppose to claim any reason when it happens.
So we have to break a rule to keep to the rule, as there is no way around it.

daxi you said your not supposed to remove the tacho
what about putting your reason on later when you take
it out or is that wrong :question: .

You cannot remove a tacho set to anything but break. If you do continental work, then the French will try and book you, even for doing things by the book.
You can thus mark on the tacho during the 45 you have.
Just be prompt about it when you do it, and no-one should complain. I forget the precise definition, but you are certainly allowed to remove a tacho during a shift. How else can you use the same tacho on several vehicles if you swap? So long as the vehicle is not in motion, and you’re not working (and thus the tacho is on break) then you won’t get in trouble. It’s the possibility the break in recording doesn’t match up over the gap that will get you in trouble. Just be prompt about it. Just note time, place, and reason.
Over hours, A47 Norwich, accident, 10:30am

Thanks again allikat for answering my questions. I
should be fine now.

Cheers :smiley: .

just put another card in and keep going.

Gurner:

right lads… get the burning torches and the pitchforks… we got us a victim :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:smiley:

with the driver hour guard it allows you to go over the 4.5 hour drive and will continue to flash that a break is due, once you stop for the break the flashing desists but if you need to go over your spreadover because of delays then the device cannot deal with that, once you have done 15 hours then the hour guard automatically goes onto rest unless you have accumulated enough rest period to have a split rest in which case a 16 hour spreadover is catered for by the hour guard.
the fault must rest with the government and it’s policies on road accidents, i saw a single car accident a couple of months ago, it was a saturday and the car had hit the central reservation on the m1 southbound near the junction with the m25 and the police closed the entire motorway and sent all the traffic onto the m10 to meet the a414. absolutely pathetic, even if the car driver died what is the point of closing the motorway unless they plan to use the accident as education for other drivers, when was the last time you saw an advert on the telly telling you how to be a better driver?
anyway back to the topic, just right on the back of the card in felt tip why you ran over, don’t be shy neither, you should see some of my excuses, moved in middle of night because (zb)with fridge parked next to me, whole flaming parking area to choose from and the (zb) has to get as close to me as poss (zb) (zb).
old bill closed entire motorway cos of small fire at junction 10 (zb)

edited for language if it needs stars to get past the censor it means it’s not allowed :wink: mrs mix

we all know how difficult it is to find a parking place when you need one, and often i have ran over my hours…going from one service area to the other and in the end giving up because of no where to park and continuing to my destination…of course i always write on the back of the card the reasons why…i dont believe the ministry would accept so many excuses because they have no idea on how our transport system works…nor the diffficulties we have to face on a daily basis with regard to parking…of course if you work for a conglomorate then there is no problem with parking fees…when you work for small family firms then paying is a problem…they refuse to re-imburse us for any outlay except when i threaten them with parking in the middle of toxteth for example…or unless i am carrying hazardous…and they have no choice…but why is this…why isnt it law that all trucks and drivers should be able to park in a safe and secure environment…i have a friend who started work with a very large company and was told to pay the parking and they would pay him back in 2 weeks…1 week in hand…and the idiot did it…i for one dont pay to park someone elses truck…unless its an emergency…and i certainly wouldnt wait 2 weeks to get my money back…but there are companies out there and drivers who go along with this practice…in the services its easy cos you just tell them you dont have enough money and they take the registration number down and bill them later…with truck stops…no money …no parking is the normal rule…the parking in this country only gets worse and obviously contributes to drivers going over their hours…but will the boys in blue understand when they pull you and ask for your tacho and notice your over your hours before you have time to write on the back the reasons why…i doubt it…
have a nice day

Gurner:

Quick Gurner put on your hi-viz. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gurner you dummy…

you should put a new chart in with your mates name on it !!! :laughing:

HA HA HA [/img]
[/quote]