Questions about Hours and CE training

Hopefully this is the correct part of the forum to post.

Next Tuesday-Friday I’m doing my CE training then the following Monday starting my first HGV job on Cat C but just want something clearing up that I’ve thought of.

When I’m training the company uses tachos to get newbies used to inserting/removing/mode switches etc. As I’m not being paid to train or carrying anything, I assume that any driving/work etc doesn’t count towards WTD or drivers hours rules?

What happens when I start my new job? Do I ignore the tacho discs or do I have to carry them with me until 28 days has passed? but then my employer surely wouldn’t want them as it’s not work for them?

The first few days of my job, from how I understood the TM, is off the road in the classroom/warehouse etc so no driving involved, I plan to record the “other work” on tacho charts. I’ve read that all I need to write is Name, date, start/finish times. Surely I need to write breaks on aswell? and do I fill in the details on the centre area or back? or anywhere I like as they’ll be no tracing on the charts.

Hopefully all that makes sense :laughing:

Thanks
Mark.

Mark28:
When I’m training the company uses tachos to get newbies used to inserting/removing/mode switches etc. As I’m not being paid to train or carrying anything, I assume that any driving/work etc doesn’t count towards WTD or drivers hours rules?

Correct, training doesn’t count.

Mark28:
What happens when I start my new job? Do I ignore the tacho discs or do I have to carry them with me until 28 days has passed? but then my employer surely wouldn’t want them as it’s not work for them?

You don’t need to carry them with you, either bin them or keep them as a souvenir.

Mark28:
The first few days of my job, from how I understood the TM, is off the road in the classroom/warehouse etc so no driving involved, I plan to record the “other work” on tacho charts. I’ve read that all I need to write is Name, date, start/finish times. Surely I need to write breaks on aswell? and do I fill in the details on the centre area or back? or anywhere I like as they’ll be no tracing on the charts.

Yes, you will need to make a more complete record on the reverse of the chart than someone who works in a different job and only drives part time. The breaks and working time will need to be recorded for the WTD.

Mark28:

Coffeeholic:
Yes, you will need to make a more complete record on the reverse of the chart than someone who works in a different job and only drives part time. The breaks and working time will need to be recorded for the WTD.

I must have missed that one in the driver regs !! - thanks coffeeholic :smiley:
BTW - what article is that under?

Thanks Coffee :slight_smile: so fill in the centre details and do a manual trace on the reverse?

ROG:

Mark28:

Coffeeholic:

I’m not getting into this with you, I am too busy at the moment to deal with a simple thread going to several pages. It’s obvious why. The OP, who by his own admission is a newbie, could see it so I’m sure you can work it out. I knew when I was answering the OP’s question you would be all over this, in fact I deleted it once to avoid exactly this but then decided that wasn’t fair on the OP. Does make me think twice about answering questions these days though. :imp:

Mark28:
Thanks Coffee :slight_smile: so fill in the centre details and do a manual trace on the reverse?

Just name and date on the front will do with work and breaks on the back. Unless you also drive, later in the day for instance, when you will need to fill in the centre field as you normally would.

Coffeeholic:

Mark28:

Just name and date on the front will do with work and breaks on the back. Unless you also drive, later in the day for instance, when you will need to fill in the centre field as you normally would.

Thanks for your help Neil. :smiley:

ROG:

Aaargh!!