Questions about driving/working in Spain

I’ve been watching with interest TV progs about people emigrating to far flung places for a better lifestyle and seeing how they get on in their new abodes.

With the language barrier problems aside, Spain seems like a popular place to emigrate too, although most folks seem to choose the southern ‘English’ regions mainly for the weather and immigration paperwork and ‘red tape’ is apparently not a problem like it is with the USA / Canada / Aus / NZ for example.

With enough deposit in the bank now to be able to afford up to a £45k mortgage I’m very much put off buying here because of the size of property and area I’d be forced to live in for that money.

A recent ‘A place in the Sun’ programme was extremely eye-opening in that you could buy a ‘mini mansion’ over there with 6 bedrooms, a huge pool, 5 acres of land and views to die for for a mere £77k :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:. Okay the place was out in the sticks a bit but even so… A comparitive place over here in a similar locale would be 7 figures for sure, not 5 :exclamation: :exclamation: . Deal-o-rama or what :slight_smile:

…Which nicely brings me to my questions for our Spanish residents (or others in the know)…

1. How proportionate are the property prices with the wages over there :question:

2. Does Spain have its own share of driver shortage problems :question:

3. Would one be required to undertake the Spanish equivalent of the class 1 test or would the UK license be sufficient to ‘automatically’ get one :question:

4. Typical earnings for Spain-UK work :question:

5. Anything else I should be aware of :question:

Cheers :sunglasses:

from primo to amigo…hehehehehe :wink:

I think most artic drivers in Spain are owner drivers for some reason, see enough of em over here to point to plenty of work.

Most artic drivers are O/D’s in spain but I dont wish to pee on dream mate but programme must have been a repeat as the Spanish property market is in the middle of a boom at the moment (fuelled by the Brits) and Spanish prices are now at pretty much the same as the UK as told by relatives who live there.
Having said that we are talking about the southern part of Spain but you wont get anything “cheap” anywhere on the south coast or within an hours drive of an airport.

If you were serious about going abroad the general cnocecious of opinion is the the Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria is the “next big thing” it is just as hot and sunny as the Med but dirt cheap.A guy relocated there and bought a farm with acres right next to the coast for £30,000 and they said that was overpriced :open_mouth: because he was a “Brit with money”

In theory you can work anywhere in the EU and I’ve met British driver who work and live in Spain. The Black Sea might be a good bet as an investment. Especially if some of the proposed container terminals are built to serve the European market.

north surrey haulage:
Most artic drivers are O/D’s in spain but I dont wish to pee on dream mate but programme must have been a repeat as the Spanish property market is in the middle of a boom at the moment (fuelled by the Brits) and Spanish prices are now at pretty much the same as the UK as told by relatives who live there.
Having said that we are talking about the southern part of Spain but you wont get anything “cheap” anywhere on the south coast or within an hours drive of an airport.

I am not fussy about which area and would prefer a rural location away from the hustle and bustle of the coast and holiday resorts. The programme I saw was set around a small village up in the hills somewhere and the prices were from last year. Whilst the property prices on the coast and in the popular southern areas have indeed rocketed, I don’t think that’s the case for the rural northerly regions where it does seem you can get a hell of a lot of house for your money :slight_smile: .

If you were serious about going abroad the general cnocecious of opinion is the the Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria is the “next big thing” it is just as hot and sunny as the Med but dirt cheap.A guy relocated there and bought a farm with acres right next to the coast for £30,000 and they said that was overpriced :open_mouth: because he was a “Brit with money”

Interesting. Bulgaria doesn’t have the same ring to it though and isn’t on my list. It may well blossom in years to come I don’t doubt that, but I have no knowledge of the language and the wages there are dire for sure. I can just about get by with speaking and understanding Spanish without a phrase book as I studied it at college.

Rob K:
3. Would one be required to undertake the Spanish equivalent of the class 1 test or would the UK license be sufficient to ‘automatically’ get one :question:

Don’t think so. The whole lot of changes from HGV to LGV were to standardise EU licences weren’t they?

Rob give Vascoingles a PM he lives in Spain!
I am sure he will fill you in with as much info you need!

i saw a programme about people moving to black sea coast of bulgaria rob, and to me seemed that it was a bloody good place to move to…the amount of house you get for the money you pay was extrordinary, the scenery around the coast was really nice too and the people were very welcoming to the british moving there too. to say i was surprised it was bulgaria was an understatment, i don’t know what i expected bulgaria to look like but it looked really lovely.

also on the news the other night slovenia is now a popular country for emmigrating brits, loads are going there and setting up there own businesses mate…might be worth looking into it :confused: :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

margatemafia:
i saw a programme about people moving to black sea coast of bulgaria rob, and to me seemed that it was a bloody good place to move to…the amount of house you get for the money you pay was extrordinary, the scenery around the coast was really nice too and the people were very welcoming to the british moving there too. to say i was surprised it was bulgaria was an understatment, i don’t know what i expected bulgaria to look like but it looked really lovely.

also on the news the other night slovenia is now a popular country for emmigrating brits, loads are going there and setting up there own businesses mate…might be worth looking into it :confused: :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah thanks Wayne but the idea is to do driving in the country I live in and Bulgaria and Slovenia pay 1 peanut per hour whereas I get 100 peanuts per hour here. :confused:

I’ve found an excellent website about moving to Spain and the associated problems and other interesting stuff and the average earnings over there are not at all exciting.

More importantly I’m first time buying and you can’t get a UK mortgage for a foreign property. Back to the drawing board for now. :cry:

I guess we don’t have any Spanish members then as no-one’s replied. :frowning:

Does anyone know if you can live in Spain but work for an UK company paying into a UK account and then transfer it into a Spanish account without having to pay tax twice :question:.

£2000 per month is a realistic take home for UK / continental tramping work I reckon so at today’s rate that’s 2970.84 Euro’s :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I could have a house paid off in 2 years :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

I refer you to the answer I gave earlyer! :smiley:

As for The price of property in Spain, You may be supprised to hear that it is going up in value very quickly at the moment, and in parts just as expensive as UK property.

TC:
I refer you to the answer I gave earlyer! :smiley:

As for The price of property in Spain, You may be supprised to hear that it is going up in value very quickly at the moment, and in parts just as expensive as UK property.

I PMed him and Alf but no replies.

The northern rural parts of Spain are still very cheap in comparison. Agreed about other (Southern) areas and the cities.

Quiere vamos a la Espana? No es trabaja en tu pais? El tiempo en la pennisula Iberia es muy caliente, y los personas no hablan Ingles ayi.

AlexxInNY:
Quiere vamos a la Espana? No es trabaja en tu pais? El tiempo en la pennisula Iberia es muy caliente, y los personas no hablan Ingles ayi.

Which translates as :

It wants we go to the Spain? It is not works in your pais? The time in pennisula Iberia is very hot, and the people do not speak to English ayi.

:question: :confused: :confused:

Rob K:
I PMed him and Alf but no replies.

You will be unlikely to get a reply from Vasco before Saturday as he will be up the road until then.