Questions about canada

hello all im a new member here i have a couple of questions about driving in canada ‘im considering moving to western canada southern alberta’ can anyone who has gone through the pnp programme give me some insight how the process works’’ also if i was lucky enough to be offered a job… in my case i would be looking to live in the truck could i use a company adress for my driving liscence bank accounts mail’’ also iv’e read somewere about a break test could anyone shed some light on the brake test and driving test ‘’ medical insurance is this provided by a company would i need extra insurance for driving in the states’ or would i be better of taking out medical insurance from the uk 'what about mobile phones are they similar to uk contract phones or pay as you go… can you ring international or would be better using a phone card ’ that’s just a couple of the top of my head anymore i shall post them thanks very much fella’s

could i use a company adress for my driving liscence bank accounts mail’’

That would be something you would have to work out with the company. However Postal Box rental is reasonable. I even have one in the U.S. for US mail it was 48.00 for the year.

iv’e read somewere about a break test could anyone shed some light on the brake test and driving test

The driving test and Brake test is normal walkaround(pertrip) inspection, written exam on traffic laws and regular signs ect. Brakes is the adjustment of the slack adjusters some provinces have removed this aspect as more trucks and trailers are make with autoadjust.

medical insurance is this provided by a company would i need extra insurance for driving in the states’ or would i be better of taking out medical insurance from the uk ’

Most companies will start your medical coverage for out of Canada benifits from day 1 so you would be covered for the US. But that depends on the company. Check before you leave to make sure they cover international from day 1.

'what about mobile phones are they similar to uk contract phones or pay as you go… can you ring international or would be better using a phone card

Phones can work both ways you can get a contract or pay as you go. Some contracts are for all North America some dont. Most will have some form of international calling.

Wellcome to the nuthouse

Welcome indeed. The guys in Canada will be waking up about now so if we are lucky we may get some posts from them. I don’t think Brentanna ever sleeps.

I don’t think Brentanna ever sleeps.

:frowning: I try but about 3 am this morning I got woken up by the very strong craving for mashed toped with puree brocolli. :cry:

Brentanna:

I don’t think Brentanna ever sleeps.

:frowning: I try but about 3 am this morning I got woken up by the very strong craving for mashed toped with puree brocolli. :cry:

Oh no, I love puree brocolli as well, I couldnt be could i…? I thought i just put on a few pounds :blush: My wife will kill me :slight_smile:

Air brake test:

I see from your initial post that you are looking at southern Alberta. Alberta is one of the few provinces that still require you to do an Air brake endorsement on your licence. This is st present a day course, which you can take with just your car licence, which will then enable you to drive single axle trucks with air brakes…( I drive this type of truck daily, but get paid on par with class 1 work because i have the licence and on occasion i have to drive our class 1 stuff.)

The course involves all the related theory behind the use and adjustment of the air brakes, yes you are expected to check the adjustment of your brakes daily here, and if necessary adjust them. You will learn quite a bit about the air brake system, and its well worth doing the course even if your province doesn’t require it :wink: .

Theory test

This is multiple choice done on a touch screen, requiring 25 correct answers out of 30 questions. It is done at any Motor Vehicle Registry. You will be asked questions about all aspects of driving for a class 1 test, as with a class 1 you can drive anything over here. Buses, Taxi’s , Ambulances etc. So read up on everything in the commercial vehicle operaters handbook, which is available from the registry aswell.

I am hazarding a guess that you are looking to work at H&R Transport, Be warned that they are not the best of places in regards to looking after the best interests of their drivers, there is plenty of information on this out there on the internet if you have a look around. If you do get on with them, keep your head down and just take the [zb] until you get PR and can move onto somewhere better .

Just quickly for now. The driving school will go through the tests with you. The pretrip is thorough and is best done by rote. If you fail the pretrip then you go no further with the test that day. There are writtens which involve learning terminology more than anything, and the practical which is a pain but manageable.

Health insurance for the US has to be provided by the firm. Your bennies for Canada should be sufficient for your scripts and such, but you will probably not get them for 3-6 months.

You should be able to get a Canada Post box of your own. you may need to provide an address, but a friend should let you use theirs.

Best bet on cellphones is Verizon. They do a reasonable package for calling overseas.

BigJon:
Air brake test:

I see from your initial post that you are looking at southern Alberta. Alberta is one of the few provinces that still require you to do an Air brake endorsement on your licence. This is st present a day course, which you can take with just your car licence, which will then enable you to drive single axle trucks with air brakes…( I drive this type of truck daily, but get paid on par with class 1 work because i have the licence and on occasion i have to drive our class 1 stuff.)

The course involves all the related theory behind the use and adjustment of the air brakes, yes you are expected to check the adjustment of your brakes daily here, and if necessary adjust them. You will learn quite a bit about the air brake system, and its well worth doing the course even if your province doesn’t require it :wink: .

Theory test

This is multiple choice done on a touch screen, requiring 25 correct answers out of 30 questions. It is done at any Motor Vehicle Registry. You will be asked questions about all aspects of driving for a class 1 test, as with a class 1 you can drive anything over here. Buses, Taxi’s , Ambulances etc. So read up on everything in the commercial vehicle operaters handbook, which is available from the registry aswell.

I am hazarding a guess that you are looking to work at H&R Transport, Be warned that they are not the best of places in regards to looking after the best interests of their drivers, there is plenty of information on this out there on the internet if you have a look around. If you do get on with them, keep your head down and just take the [zb] until you get PR and can move onto somewhere better .

it was worth a guess but i wasn’t going to contact the big reds i took a drive past there yard last year in lethbridge i spoke to a dutch guy who had been sitting for 3 days in the yard waiting for a load

thanks for the replies everyone having a valid address for driving liscence might be a problem ''i shall google it to see if there would be a way around it also i shall google the truck and brake test in alberta

transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm
Driver’s handbook