Questions about Canada.

So, i’ve been pondering emigrating to canda, although at this stage its little more than a pipe dream. I’ve got a few questions for anybody who wouldn’t mind helping…

Is my UK class one licence transferable, or do i need to retake a test over there?

We own a couple of dogs, is it difficult to emigrate with them?

What is the job situation actually like over there? is it really as easy to find a job as some sites suggest?

I’m sure i will think of more, but those are my immediate queries. Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Hi Crickrichard,
to answer to your questions in brief;

1. No, your LGV license is not transferable so you would have to take theory tests on Class 1 and air brakes as well as a practicle pre trip, practicle air brakes and of course the practicle driving. This sounds a lot but you can get through them all in a fortnight usually if you swot up at home in the UK first.

2. Dogs can be emigrated if they are healthy but it is a bit of an ordeal for the animal and quite expensive.

3. As with the rest of the world the economic slowdown is having a negative effect but not as bad as the UK is suffering however as far as i know it is very difficult to get the neccesary labour market opinion at the moment which an employer would need to employ a driver from overseas. I do not know how long this situation will last. The best souce of advice on this point would be potential employers.

Hope this helps.

bob the dog is yer man here is his website

bobthedog.freewebspace.com/

send him a pm tell him i reckomended u

Crickrichard.
I found a hostel booking website very usefull while in Canada and USA.Really cheap accomadation while studying for the brake test and licence theory.Most hostels in “downtown” areas.Dormitories from about £7 per night.While the occupants are out sight seeing in the day,you would the place to yourself to study in peace.Most hace internet access,and kitchens to save money buying meals out.Hostelbookers.com.

Thanks very much guys. Like i said it’s early days yet, but i figured it would be useful to pre-plan and bone up on as much as possible!

Scaniaman, cheers for the link, really useful site! PM’d your man and said hi.

toby
valid point food out there is so cheap its cheaper to eat out

hope bob can help u crickrichard

Sorry. Not had chance to get back to you. I will email you briefly then you can ask away as you will have the address.