Questions about Birkenhead ferry port

Hi

Was wondering if you could help me out with some questions regarding Birkenhead ferry port.
I’m a new driver and have to drive a 7.5 truck over to Belfast from the port .

I wanted to know what is the best route from Sheffield to get to the port. I don’t want to go over the snake pass if I can avoid it.

Also what is access to the port like ? I’ve never been to this port before so any info/problems etc will be welcome .

Great if you can help

Cheers

Would you use woodhead? If not then come across the m62 following it towards Liverpool down the m6 onto the m56 and then onto the m53. Once your on the 53 it’s signposted.

Thanks for the info

Yes I was planning on using wood head as I think the snake may be a problem.( bad enough in a car and then snarled up,at glossop)

Do you know if access to truck parking at the port (prior to boarding ) is Ok ? or is there anything I should watch out for. I’ll arrive in the dark so trying to cover all the little things that potentially cause big problems .

I’ve been to Dover and Dunkirk in my truck and they aren’t too bad .

Anyway thanks again for the info appreciated it
Cheers

as you turn into the port area trucks waiting to board park on the left in two lanes as the gate to the weighbridge does not open until just before loading starts. if you slip up just go down to the roundabout and back to the end of the queue. the weighbridge is tight don’t drift left when pulling away from the book in booth (whilst looking down her top) as the Armco is cab door height and will leave a line along the cab as my double driver found out,

theres only 2 boats.both being like 8 hours in prison with the option of drowning…they leave 10-30 am and pm,the land 6-30.they will most likely be late as there left hand drive boats,with right hand drive trucks loading from the blind side with taliban flipflop loaders…dont sleep outside the port,just go in and abandon it in the queue…lock the doors,and make sure you dont let any skanky prozzies in.

do not be tempted to turn into Birkenhead, follow the docks signs towards the tunnel

Suwel1955:
I don’t want to go over the snake pass if I can avoid it.

Nowt wrong with Snake, just narrow after ladybower - used to use it regually when on shop work in a 16’4" Decker - alot lot quick than using M62 and sometimes Woodhead (if its blocked due to traffic from M62 using it)

Thanks for all the info really appreciate it.

I’m a bit green as new to the driving game ( 6 months) not sure what an ARMCO is though .

Is that something to do with the weigh bridge ?

Cheers

hotel magnum:
as you turn into the port area trucks waiting to board park on the left in two lanes as the gate to the weighbridge does not open until just before loading starts. if you slip up just go down to the roundabout and back to the end of the queue. the weighbridge is tight don’t drift left when pulling away from the book in booth (whilst looking down her top) as the Armco is cab door height and will leave a line along the cab as my double driver found out,

All changed now pal you just drive straight up to the booths under the canopy were you get trailers from. Pull up at window with reference number then they give you your tickets. After that just drive through barrier and park and wait.

well that sounds like progress, do they still pat you down and look in the cab,

Armco is one of those thing you smash in to when an agency driver cut’s you up. :wink: