Question.

There’s a shop that we deliver to and there’s a couple of ways out, now my question is would you take the easy route which has a 6’6 limit halfway down the road which my truck nav doesn’t pick up and is also wide enough or a tight left hand turn( in my mind)?

This would be in a 45ft trailer

I’ve been down the said road many a times as i think its the best way out back to the main road from two shops but that last time i went down there some bloke jumped out in front of the truck and had a go at me telling me that i shouldn’t be down here and that the police are pulling all co op lorries that use this road and that he drives lorries and i should be turning round on the spot and ****ing off

Yes i know i shouldn’t be down using that said road but i would of thought that the easiest route would be the best.

This is on the isle of wright which every road is tight.

am i going to be raped and hung?

Its highly unlikely anything will come of it so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Not that it would stop me from sleeping :slight_smile: i just wonder if the police did stop me would i get fined or what as its the first time I’ve used that road;)

As it happens I’ve got that shop tomorrow…

Thanks for the reply…

My mate got caught going through a weight limit, was quite a while ago but think he got a £30 fine and had to go and see the TM but that was about it, but I cant be sure of that though, didn’t hear anything much after it so cant of been that big of a deal. Its the chance you take I spose, done it quite a few times myelf either because I was at the point of no return or couldnt be arsed to go the long way round. If police stop you best to say your lost, took wrong turn etc at least that way you’ve got a chance of getting off the hook

Saaamon:
My mate got caught going through a weight limit, was quite a while ago but think he got a £30 fine and had to go and see the TM but that was about it, but I cant be sure of that though, didn’t hear anything much after it so cant of been that big of a deal. Its the chance you take I spose, done it quite a few times myelf either because I was at the point of no return or couldnt be arsed to go the long way round. If police stop you best to say your lost, took wrong turn etc at least that way you’ve got a chance of getting off the hook

Unless you go to bradford on avon, then they tie you to a burning cross drag you through the streets and extract as much money from you as possible. Before cutting your head off and placing it on a spike at the entrance to the town :laughing: :angry:

Presumably there is a reason for the width limit and just because you can’t see the reason doesn’t mean that you can ignore the signs.
I doubt that you will get hung or raped but you shouldn’t complain when the time comes that you get a FP ticket.
I remember a colleague getting a fine for ignoring a weight limit because the street didn’t apear to have any issues but it turned out that the gas mains were only slightly below the surface which was the reason for the apparently pointless weight restriction.
It maybe something similar for the width restriction.

You will get fine if copper has time and mood to stop you. Most of them have.
In Aylesford I see lorries over 7,5 t going over the bridge everyday. They include aces like Bibby’s Transport. Once I was stuck there in a traffic because Waitrose lorry decided to go through historical village back to it’s depot ( probably st nav told him to use it ). But I never heard of or seen anyone being stopped there.
Until you are stopped this is probably the best route or one day you will find notice on company boards that they have received serious of complaints and they are kindly asking drivers not to do that route

A tight left hand turn is just that, it isn’t a “can’t do” left hand turn, so there’s no excuse for ignoring the width limit.

If you do intentionally ignore the width limit just to make life a little easier for yourself and get caught and fined, don’t ■■■■■ about how unfair it is because it probably isn’t.

Dan_1986:
Yes i know i shouldn’t be down using that said road but i would of thought that the easiest route would be the best.

If we all took that attitude we’d be ignoring many width limits, going over weak bridges, driving large vehicles through small villages and causing all kinds of damage and disruption :frowning:

There are times when it’s worth bending/breaking the law, but it doesn’t sound like this is one of them.

Go the right way mate, you know you should :wink: