Question

Hi Everyone

I have been looking at this forum for ages and finally got round to registering.
May i say it an excellent forum
I have always wanted to drive HGV’s as my late dad used to do that but i havent driven for a living for about 10 years so would that go against me for prospective employees ?
I have 2 questions and would be grateful for any advice from anyone who replies.
I was made unemployed in April and it is a struggle like anyone else and my other half starts a uni course in October as a mature student
I live in Glasgow and the girl in the regeneration has said if i could get a letter from a company saying they would employ me if i had a class 2, they would look to try to fund me, however i feel a bit bad about this as they really deal with the long term unemployed and i feel like i am taking funding away from someone more deserving, so my first question is would the DWP help with funding or courses ?
I have a 7.5 tonnne licence and drove for Royal Mail for years.
2nd Question is i have applied for numerous jobs and have had no joy and have registered with agencies so is that the best way forward ?
Or should i just give it up and look for something else ?
I certainly dont want to sound as if i am looking for handouts etc , just wanting some advice from more experienced drivers .
Im sorry if this message sounds long winded.
Thanks
Allan

amacke4344:
Hi Everyone

I have been looking at this forum for ages and finally got round to registering

Hi Alan,
Funding for LGV courses is ‘patchy’ at best and varies from region to region, but I do take your point about handouts etc…

… so perhaps you could consider:

• Going back to the Royal Mail with your 7.5t entitlement and working your way up the ladder?
  • Signing on with agencies and using your 7.5t entitlement to earn the cash to fund yourself?
  • Asking the Jobcenter whether there are any other options open to you?
  • Checking the Logistics Dept. at a college?
    Sometimes, colleges have access to other sources of funding for licence aquisition/upgrade. :wink:
  • A loan of some kind? (Family, friends or bank)

If you try the college route and the one you phone tells you that they don’t have a logistics department, please ask them to suggest a college that does, cos the info is available to them. Quite often, it’s just a case of speaking to the right person.

:bulb: TBF though mate, it wouldn’t be fair of me to leave you with the impression that there’s always college funding available, cos sometimes it depends on the time of year and how much budget hasn’t yet been allocated.

amacke4344:
May i say it an excellent forum

I think that’s allowed. :wink: :grimacing:

Welcome :slight_smile:

amacke4344:
however i feel a bit bad about this as they really deal with the long term unemployed and i feel like i am taking funding away from someone more deserving

Very altruistic but remember they’re there to help all unemployed people so if you were to satisfy their funding conditions then why not take advantage.

Welcome amacke4344
Many of us here have not held our licence for long and as long as you dont take rejection personal ,the best way to go forward is to keep asking everyone ,i have even been known to go up to random truck drivers that I recognise the truck is a local company in my area to ask if they know of any jobs going or the name of someone to contact to find out of any work going taken me nearly 3 months to just get someone to speak to me at a company as the 2 yr experience is usually a downer for me but if you read some of the posts on hear have a look at big brummie macca`s posts it can be done and to be honest the work is out there you just gotta go get it!!!
good luck in funding your cat c ,DD mentioned going back to post office they may even fund your training to upgrade ur licence :bulb:
jennie x

HIYYAAA amacke4344 :smiley:

If you can get a letter from an employer to get the funding then I say go for it ( it may not be that easy to get said letter in 1st place mind )

You could also ask about ESF ( european social funding ) this is a good source for that a4econnecttowork.co.uk/?cat=10

or ask at the job centre about ESF

good luck with it

Welcome to the mad house