Question- what should I have done

I am old school and start my first module in two weeks time. I was asked to drive a truck Thursday morning on Wednesday night. I collected the truck from a deserted yard at 4am. On doing my checks I found the NS front headlight out. In this wonderful new world of cpc what should I have done.

Replace the bulb?
Ok Ok, That’s far too much to ask of the modern day driver. :laughing:

I think the correct answer is:
Fill out your daily check sheet,
Call out the risk assement team,
Call the fire brigade,
Traffic management will need to cone the area off,
Stand in a safe place wearing full ppe,
Then and only then can a fitter be called.

Contact those who employ you to get it fixed unless you have a replacement and are allowed to fix it yourself

Iam new school and just follow company procedures and obey the law to he best of my ability.

If the company procedure is to get fitters out to change bulbs at 4am then what’s the problem, It’s just the way it is.

I await “in my day” replies but its 2013 things change.

In my current job we, change wheels, bulbs etc we are even expected to service our own trucks.

chester:
Iam new school and just follow company procedures and obey the law to he best of my ability.

If the company procedure is to get fitters out to change bulbs at 4am then what’s the problem, It’s just the way it is.

I await “in my day” replies but its 2013 things change.

In my current job we, change wheels, bulbs etc we are even expected to service our own trucks.

Could you honestly say you would call someone out to change a bulb?
If i worked for a company that had procedures that made you get someone out to do this, Then i’d simply go against procedure. I just couldn’t do it, I’d feel like a right ■■■.

That’s the thing no matter if you passed yor test yesterday and haven’t got a clue from one end of a screwdriver from another or you have been driving 40 years and have rebuilt the gearbox on a Volvo f88 halfway up a Turkish mountain if you work for one of the blue chips you just make the call and sit there.
Even if you have the means to do it you will probably end up with at least a disaplinary as its not how they do things.
A sad state of affairs but that’s like just sit there at least you will be getting paid. Mind you I bet any of us who have slways worked at places where we are expected to if possible get ourselves out of trouble would feel a right lemon when after 3 hours the service van turns up to change a bulb

No access to bulbs (or lamps as it should be) no service team either. No spares. Plenty of light with other light. Am I really supposed to sit and wait for a bluddy bulb. Worlds gone mad. I guess I would be flogged by the Gestapo for just getting on with the job of driving and delivering.

not truck but,I used to work for a university, at time roughly 3500 students living in uni accommodation, when a light bulb blew in a room or even a desk lamp, an on call electrician could be called out to replace it, its all elf n safety and duty of care bollox!

4 am this time of year going out with only one head light you are asking for a pull mate.
If it was light and I knew I could get it changed at some point in the day I’d take it myself even though technically illegall

limeyphil:
Could you honestly say you would call someone out to change a bulb?
If i worked for a company that had procedures that made you get someone out to do this, Then i’d simply go against procedure. I just couldn’t do it, I’d feel like a right ■■■.

If Iam on agency work then am I expected to carry every type of bulb available for, such an occasion. If I go against company policy and try and rectify the fault then damage the lens for instance then I would be facing disaplinary for not following company procedure.

I really do not find following simple rules a difficult thing to follow.

The service chap in the van depends on replacing bulbs to earn his wage, we are doing him a service if truth be known. If we rectified all blown bulbs he would be out of a job :wink:

kr79:
4 am this time of year going out with only one head light you are asking for a pull mate.
If it was light and I knew I could get it changed at some point in the day I’d take it myself even though technically illegall

Let’s be honest what is going to happen. It has side lights so oncoming people know the width of the vehicle. It has zenon (sp) lamps which are brilliant. I would feel a complete plank saying I haven’t taken the truck out because of a lamp.

midlifetrucker:
I would feel a complete plank saying I haven’t taken the truck out because of a lamp.

I would not have felt that way

Problems occur with vehicles and safety comes first followed by legality
Common sense is then applied and the answer is got to

midlifetrucker:
I am old school and start my first module in two weeks time. I was asked to drive a truck Thursday morning on Wednesday night. I collected the truck from a deserted yard at 4am. On doing my checks I found the NS front headlight out. In this wonderful new world of cpc what should I have done.

You should have followed the operators procedure regarding defects.

On the basis that you have ommitted to inform us exactly what the procedure is, then we can only tell you what you should not do, & that is to drive a vehicle at night with a headlight out.

Fix it before you leave if possible :smiley:

I can’t believe the posts on the subject and no one has commented on the amount of vehicles on the road with blown bulbs, Not many people seem to fix them till it gets to MOT time.

Chas:

midlifetrucker:

You should have followed the operators procedure regarding defects.

On the basis that you have ommitted to inform us exactly what the procedure is, then we can only tell you what you should not do, & that is to drive a vehicle at night with a headlight out.

Small firm. Two trucks. No operating procedure. Rightly or wrongly drove truck. Reported lamp failure and no one died.

I am a dinosaur.

midlifetrucker:
Let’s be honest what is going to happen. It has side lights so oncoming people know the width of the vehicle. It has zenon (sp) lamps which are brilliant. I would feel a complete plank saying I haven’t taken the truck out because of a lamp.

A xenon headlight not working is not an easy fix.Could be either a faulty igniter or a blown light unit.Both are rather expensive,and due to the voltages involved(not 24v!) if proper procedures aren’t followed,a very nasty electric shock could be the result.

A place i worked at prviously I had no lights down the near side of the unit and trailer, went to check in the office for some fuses only to be told local dealer will have to be called out, i was shocked so off I go back to the unit and lo and behold they miraculously start working again, after a driver gave me a fuse as he’d had the same problem a few weeks earlier and the fitter came out and he got a load of spare fuses of him, it’s ridiculous

On the supermarkets etc with a 24/7 vmu, take it there. But we’ve got some mugs on maritime that call scantruc for this very thing. Then they moan that they ain’t getting ot or nights out :open_mouth: :unamused: :bulb:

midlifetrucker:
Small firm. Two trucks. No operating procedure. Rightly or wrongly drove truck. Reported lamp failure and no one died.

I am a dinosaur.

Are you the CPC holder for the firm?

Please talk to the CPC holder before you openly state that there is no operating procedure.

Who did you report the lamp failure to? Who didn’t die?

Did you drive the truck rightly or wrongly? We need to know.

None of this was included in your original troll, whoops sorry, post?

You are not a dinosaur, dinosaurs are extinct. You’re a p1$$'ead, you are nothing. Not even extinct.

Chas:

midlifetrucker:

I am a dinosaur.

Are you the CPC holder for the firm?

Please talk to the CPC holder before you openly state that there is no operating procedure.

Who did you report the lamp failure to? Who didn’t die?

Did you drive the truck rightly or wrongly? We need to know.

None of this was included in your original troll, whoops sorry, post?

You are not a dinosaur, dinosaurs are extinct. You’re a p1$$'ead, you are nothing. Not even extinct.

Not. Sure of your planet but I hope you get picked up soon.