Question to examiners & instructors about Roundabouts

Hi all

I understand that right position and right gear and a clear roundabout is good when on a test as it makes it all alot easier.

The question is this, when approaching a roundabout and you have to stop, you are looking for a safe gap to proceed with, say 2 car blocker

So when stopping and looking at the roundabout for traffic and you carry out the Mirror-& - Blind spot check if there is a delay do you again have to do all of these checks for a second time before moving off

And during a test if you do not deem it is not safe to proceed , can an examiner fail you if he thought it was ?

I know that I’m neither an instructor or examiner, but my big day is fast approaching and going by my experience of driving cars and vans (not the same thing I know, but the principle is) and I always look in the mirrors and look round before I intend moving at roundabouts - and any other junction for that matter. From the point of view of commonsense, I would say that this cannot do any harm.

As for judging whether it is safe to move onto a roundabout, I would say that if you think that it is DANGEROUS - do NOT MOVE! - you will surely FAIL! :frowning: Once again commonsense at work - if something is SAFE then it can’t be DANGEROUS and I for one would be seriously miffed if an examiner failed me for something like this.

Swampey:
So when stopping and looking at the roundabout for traffic and you carry out the Mirror-& - Blind spot check if there is a delay do you again have to do all of these checks for a second time before moving off

Hi Swampey, Yes mate, definitely. No question about it.
The situation can change second by second; for instance, what about the pedal cyclist coming down your nearside :question:
Or the pedestrian, who only looks at whether you’re actually moving without regard for whether you’re about to move :question:
You should use continuous all-around observation to demonstrate to the examiner that you’re keeping yourself FULLY aware of potential hazards.

Swampey:
And during a test if you do not deem it is not safe to proceed , can an examiner fail you if he thought it was ?

This one is slightly trickier, and IMHO involves a lot of skill and a little luck.

There’s a thing called “undue hesitation” and another called “failed to make normal progress,” but safety is paramount at all times.
It might sound contradictory at first, but it’s a balancing act between being unsafe through hesitancy, and being a bully towards smaller vehicles. Your behaviour at roundabouts needs great care to get just right during training and on your test, and I’m sure that you’ll get some more advice from the other instructors and examiners when they see your post.

Roundabouts are a very common reason for losing marks on your test, so you’re well on your way, because you identified them as “problematic” and asked some great questions. I wish you every success on your test. :smiley:

:blush: Undue hesitancy (and a bad reverse) were written on my first stab at the LGV test, but I got it at the second attempt. :smiley:

I see that ROG knocked off early this evening. :wink:

Swampy,

I was told to continutally look around when you’re stopped, and especially do the blind spot check whenever you are just about to lift the clutch and pull away - regardless of whether you’ve already looked. Do the looks, start moving the clutch, move away, still checking all round.

As for hesitation and due progress, again i was taught its a balance. You do need to make progress, cause at the end of the day you’re paid to get the lorry to its destination and not out for a stroll around the roads.

My test took me through a fair amount of city / town roads. There was more than one occasion where I held back from going down my lane of the road at lights or trying to get past a car as it was just that little bit too tight for comfort. Didn’t get any minors for it.

Other aspects in relation to that were I was told was that you’re expected to get the lorry upto speed. so if you do pull out into the road, get it going, get upto the appropriate speeds. This would apply especially if your pulling out into traffic.

If i’m wanting to pull out, the way i work it is that if a car had to take action as soon as he saw me pulling out ( or very shortly after me pulling out ) , then dont pull out. If I pulled out and was almost reaching a reasonable speed before the car had to adjust, then thats OK.

On my test, i had a pull away into a stream of traffic where i didn’t pull out. There was a gap, but as the gap appeared, it was difficult to judge the timing of the cars coming along, I made the preparations to move off, but then left it as i wasn’t sure. I pulled a face to imply " hmmm, maybe could of made it " but then just waited for a similar gap, that way knowing i would be able to pull out.

Conversely, killing speed was something my instruction talked upon. On tight country roads, i may not always be able to reach 40mph, and on the approach to a 30, you have the 100m markers. I was letting off at first of the markers and killing speed well in advance. Since I only had a few mph to kill, i was told to drive so that at the 30 sign i was doing 30, and not 30mph waaaay in advance. ( Again, dependant on conditions )

I concur with Dieseldave and Fisha. That all round check including blindspot before moving off is paramount . Failure to do so just because you did it say 3 seconds ago I beleive will result in being marked down under awareness / planning . Good luck Swampey!

PS: No more Gear change exercises, hurrah!

I see that ROG knocked off early this evening.

• I do have to get my beauty sleep :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Well, I can’t say much more than has been said already :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bit of advice - if it looks like you cannot get straight onto the roundabout then brake earlier and deeper than normal (it will feel like overbraking) and then select a low range move off gear to crawl in upto the roundabout - this ususally gives you an ‘edge’ to get out as you are already moving - it does not matter if you leave a large gap in front of you to do this.

To put it simpler - plan NEVER to stop unless the examiner tells you to.

Just remember your ‘Moving Off’ procedure
Left mirror, right mirror, blind spot, look ahead, release handbrake then go.
If you remember that this has to be done in one movement then you have answered your own question. Yes you DO have to do it before you move off.
Suppose you do it well in advance then wait a full minute for the roundabout to clear. A bike could be at your side, a pedestiran could be trying to run in front of you, anything could be happening. Never move before checking EVERYTHING out.