Question Regarding Medicals

I’d be grateful if anyone could shed some light on two questions I have regarding passing a medical for provisional entitlement.

1. I have a very low blood pressure and a low resting heartbeat. This has been checked by the doc’s, with both an instant ECG and a 24hr ECG. Both showed no problems, and I only ever feel lightheaded if I stand up quickly whilst dehydrated, which is easily managed by not allowing myself to become dehydrated. I feel as fit as a butcher’s dog, and cycle / walk / climb regularly without issue. But reading the D4 form, I look like a basket case. Would this prevent me passing the medical?

2. I wear spec’s all the time, but am still able to see without them although my eyes get tired. Doing the crossword without them is a different issue… :laughing: will the figures on my prescription provide the Doctor with the facts they’ll need for the D4?

I’m eager to apply for my provisional, but don’t want to set myself up for a fall.

To be clear, if I felt I was unfit to drive a LGV, I wouldn’t even consider doing so, and wouldn’t be driving a car or heavy machinery now.

Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated.

I don’t think anyone here is in a position to comment on your medical conditions. However, you may as well give the medical a bash as if you do fail you’ll be in no worse position that you are now.

I’m not sure whether it’s the doctor that fills in the medical information fails you or whether it’s the DVLA that assess the information.

probably the latter but at the end of the day it’s only £40 or so to find out

Best of luck

The Quack will fill out all your details about your heart etc but its down to the DVSA if they will grant you a provisional but I can’t say for sure as I’m as fit as a fiddle despite the abuse I subject my body too.

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Having a low blood pressure & heart rate isn’t usually considered to be a medical condition, unless it’s caused by an underlying problem. When nothing sinister is responsible, it’s a sign of a good healthy heart, and a fairly high level of physical fitness. Which came as a shock… :laughing: My GP claimed he wished he could have my blood pressure as the risks associated with high blood pressure are almost eliminated.

It was simply the questions on the D4 which I was curious about, and wondered what the DVLA would make of this. I wondered if anyone had heard of the DVLA questioning this, and perhaps refused to issue a provisional.

Thanks again.