Question Ref: Tacho

If someone has a horsebox and it is a 16 Tonne Lgv

Where do they stand with Tacho as per private use with there own horses.

P.s
Then do not use it at all for commecial gains at all.

OOOPs just noticed wrong place :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

My take - need C licence but no tacho :question: :question:

ROG:
My take - need C licence but no tacho :question: :question:

Thanks Rog i know about the C Licence its the tacho part i am checking on.

If I recall correctly one of the recent changes to the regulations took away the exemption for private use on anything over 7.5t so a 16t horsebox will require a tacho to be fitted and used even for purely private use.

Paul

repton:
If I recall correctly one of the recent changes to the regulations took away the exemption for private use on anything over 7.5t so a 16t horsebox will require a tacho to be fitted and used even for purely private use.

Paul

would that not also apply to private training LGVs as well though :question: :question:

repton:

Paul

Thanks for that Paul

Is there still no need for an opertaors Licence ?

But i guess tachos should be held ?

No this is not correct.
For example training vehicles asre privately taxed and no need for tacho use.

So the answer to the horsebox question is you DO need a Cat C licence but you do NOT need a tacho.

Provided of course you are not using it for commercial haulage.

Don’t know about the operators license but as repton said the private use exemtion only applies if the vehicle has a mam of 7.5 tons or less.

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum
permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes used for
the non-commercial carriage of goods.

Vehicles use for driving instruction are still exempt.

Vehicles used for driving instruction and examination
with a view to obtaining a driving licence or a certificate
of professional competence, provided that they are
not being used for the commercial carriage of goods or
passengers.

edit: Both of the above quotes are form the Drivers Hours & Tachograph Rules

Mothertrucker:

No this is not correct.

So the answer to the horsebox question is you DO need a Cat C licence but you do NOT need a tacho.

Training vehicles have an exemption, see here for proof.

Mothertrucker:

No this is not correct.

The original question’s are for a 16 tonne horesbox for only private use.

Is a tacho required ? And to be used ?

If so what about keeping used tachos ?

Then we come on to operators Licence who moniters there tachos ?

ROG:

repton:

Paul

would that not also apply to private training LGVs as well though :question: :question:

No ROG, you’re exempt from tacho Regs by the fact that your training vehicle isn’t a vehicle used for ‘carriage by road.’
A PCV training school’s bus is exempt for tuition purposes as well.
I believe a glance at your training vehicle’s tax disc is the clue. :wink:

What Is the general opinion

If a horsebox used for private use and not for commecial use and it is a 16 ton Truck Yes It is on private road tax

You need a tacho in

… YES / NO …

Page 10.
The Drivers Hours & Tachograph Regulations

Also :

Article 3.
REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT

The exemption from the EU tachograph regulations is only for vehicles with a mam of no more that 7.5 tons.

I’ve been unable to find any other exemptions that would apply in this case, so in my opinion a 16 ton horesbox would come in scope of the EU tachograph regulations.

As far as I’m aware in this case “private use” = “non-commercial carriage of goods”, I’ll wait to be corrected though :wink:

where did coffeeholic put that gun, looks like it’s needed here :wink: :laughing:

The private tacho exemption changed last april when EU reg 561/2006 came into force.

The exemption

Vehicles used for the non-commercial carriage of goods and personal use.

changed to

TRANSPORTOFFICE

GV262, 2008 version

A 16t tonne horsebox is not exempt from Tacho rules

tachograph:
Page 10.
The Drivers Hours & Tachograph Regulations

Also :

Article 3.
REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT

The exemption from the EU tachograph regulations is only for vehicles with a mam of no more that 7.5 tons.

I’ve been unable to find any other exemptions that would apply in this case, so in my opinion a 16 ton horesbox would come in scope of the EU tachograph regulations.

As far as I’m aware in this case “private use” = “non-commercial carriage of goods”, I’ll wait to be corrected though :wink:

Thanks Tachograph

I agree after reading the EU tachograph regulations

So as the horse box it a 16 ton truck a tacho must be used.

Very simple answer folks;

as the vehicle exceeds 7.5 tonnes permitted weight then tacho will need to be fitted and used. Driver will be fully in scope of EU drivers hours rules i.e breaks from driving, daily, weekly, fortnightly driving limits, daily rest and weekly rest and production of records. The fact that this vehicle is being used privately is immaterial, as it’s over 7.5 tonnes then it’s in scope.

There is a way around this. Ensure that the vehicle used was registered more than 25 years ago. Then, providing you are not engaged in commercial carriage you will be tacho / EU drivers hours exempt. There are a lot of traction engine owners that are buying old tractor units so that they can haul their steam engines to rallies without using tacho etc.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
its the tacho part i am checking on.

Duly noted mate, but have you considered the “O” licence implications?

geebee45:

as the vehicle exceeds 7.5 tonnes permitted weight then tacho will need to be fitted and used. Driver will be fully in scope of EU drivers hours rules i.e breaks from driving, daily, weekly, fortnightly driving limits, daily rest and weekly rest and production of records. The fact that this vehicle is being used privately is immaterial, as it’s over 7.5 tonnes then it’s in scope.

Does that also mean that the driver must fill in a tacho for every day they worked in that fixed EU week for ‘other work’ days?
Do they need an ‘O’ licence?
Do the tachos have to be sent anywhere for analysis?
If the driver is a farmer and they work 7 days a week (lot do - daily milking etc) does that mean that they cannot legally drive it?

geebee45:

ROG:
Does that also mean that the driver must fill in a tacho for every day they worked in that fixed EU week for ‘other work’ days?

Normal EU tachograph regulations apply so, yes

Recording other work
Drivers must record all other work and periods of availability — including work for other employers —
on all driving and non-driving days within a week where they have undertaken driving that comes
within the scope of the EU rules on drivers’ hours.
For example, a driver who works in a warehouse on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and wishes
to drive a vehicle within the scope of the EU rules on Thursday of the same week must complete
records for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

The record must be either:

• written manually on a chart;
  • written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph;
  • made by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph; or
  • for days where a driver has been subject to the domestic drivers’ hours rules and a record
    is legally required (see page 25), recorded in a domestic log book.
    For the non-driving days, the record may simply show the driver’s name, the date, and the start
    and finish of the shift. These records must be carried on the vehicle by the driver to be produced to
    enforcement officers for the relevant period (see individual sections on how to make manual entries).

ROG:
Do the tachos have to be sent anywhere for analysis?

Normal EU tachograph regulations apply so, no
There’s no regulation that says records have to be sent away for analysis

ROG:
If the driver is a farmer and they work 7 days a week (lot do - daily milking etc) does that mean that they cannot legally drive it?

Normal EU tachograph regulations apply so the driver should have the required rest and breaks.

Some other relevant information.

Tachograph calibration and inspection:
All tachographs used for recording drivers’ hours, whether analogue or digital, must be properly
installed, calibrated and sealed. This task must be performed either by a vehicle manufacturer or an
approved tachograph calibration centre (call VOSA on 0870 6060 440 to find your nearest approved
tachograph centres). An installation plaque must be fixed to or near the tachograph. Tachograph
calibration centres will issue a certificate showing details of any inspection conducted.
Analogue tachographs must be inspected every two years and recalibrated every six years.

Digital tachographs must be recalibrated:

• every two years;
  • after any repair;
  • if the vehicle registration number changes;
  • if UTC is out by more than 20 minutes; and
  • after an alteration to the circumference of the tyres or characteristic coefficient.
    Inspection and recalibration dates are shown on the plaque and updated by calibration centres.
    Operators must ensure that these tachograph requirements are complied with before a new or
    used vehicle goes into service.

Mothertrucker:

No this is not correct.

As other have said, what I put IS correct. Training vehicles have a specific exemption, horseboxes do not.

Paul