Question: Re: Night-run pay?

:question:
Hi,
can anyone help me with a question, about night rates & ‘company bonus payments’…I 've been driving psv/hgv’s for 20 yrs, but this is the first time I’ve driven permanent night runs…
I’m paid an hourly rate (which is very low), and £6 per night:night bonus, and £15 per night ‘company bonus’ (which I would lose {if I ever damage the truck} to the value of the damage, or for a maximum 6 weeks).
When I take my holidays, or bank holidays, or if I am off sick, I am only paid the basic hourly rate, no night bonus & no company bonus…so if like at Christmas we ‘have’ to take 10 days off , because the yard is closed, or when I have to take the balance of my hols…my wages those months are real bad.
Question: Is this normal, or am I being taken for a mug?..with two sugars!!!
I’m asking now, 'cos although I’ve been with the company I’m with for over a year, I’ve just paid for my lgv renewal £29, and £74 for the doctors medical, myself…and having spoke to a couple of other drivers, who work for different companies, they had their renewals, and doctors bills paid for by the company…

Can you help?
Thanks Dee
dee_roscorla@hotmail.com

MUG

Thats a wind up, right■■? :open_mouth:

Change job’s. The going rate when I worked nights back in the 80’s was 100 quid a week shift allowance and all renewal and medical fee’s paid.

When I last did nights, I was on time and a half for the whole shift.

Quit it and go somewhere they’ll value your skills.

Your being treat like a Mug matey, firstly your entitled to 20 days holiday and are only required to give reasonable notice to your employer as to when you want to take them, he cannot force you to save your holidays for his quiet periods, so if he aint got the work and you aint got no holidays due, then he has to find something for you or pay you your contracted hours.

Point out to him that the law is requiring regular health checks on employees working nights, so he better get use to starting to pay for medicals :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Do you get Spurs and a ten-gallon hat as part of the uniform?
Leave, you have 20 years experience, you live near the M1, you are willing to work nights, and I reckon you could nearly double your hourly rate. You are entitled to 20 days holiday per year, but I’m not sure about when you are allowed to take them, because many production line staff have to take holiday during the factory shut-down, normally 2 weeks in summer and 2 weeks at Christmas. A good employer would pay for medicals and if night workers are not entitled to medicals yet they will be soon.
The insurance bonus what a scam, they are using it to make your money-up not as a bonus.
One last point please don’t let Tony read this he’ll drop his burgers.

You’re in Dunstable. I can think of a huge number of companies, all withing 30-40minutes of you who (a) report to be suffering a shortage in drivers and (b) are paying good money because of (a)!!

Tell him to poke his stupid job. I find it difficult to comprehend that there are still firms out there who try to work like this.

Depends on the working week as to how many holidays you are allowed. You are allowed 4 weeks holiday a year of which 8 can be the bank / pubic holidays. So employers only have t give you 12 additional holiday days if they wish. On top of this say for instance you worked a 4 day week then yur holiday week would be a 4 day week so technically I may be wrong holidays could be as few as 8 days + 8 stats

May be wrong please I stand corrected if I am

With regards to the night rate pay when your on holiday, then its unlikely they will pay you a night rate, like ours we have a basic hourly rate, and then more put on for unsocial hours.
If we take holiday, its paid at the normal hourly rate without any night rate.

NO COMMENT :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

That took me by surprise Tony, but you prob said more by saying less, but i was not expecting that well done.

To those of you who tried to help, thankyou…
To those of you who took the (zb), i’m L.M.A.O…
To neil46, I take it a 3 letter word is most you could spell?

To Qhunter…no it’s no wind-up…yes I started working up here, having had to move up from Cornwall (please don’t use this to take the (zb)further!!!) to be with my partner, just over a year ago…then my partner died, and being female, and having to find a job pretty sharpish, …I was glad to find anyone who would take me on, as I have a family to support, like most of you.

I’m only driving a Class 2, at the moment, although I have a full LGV license. And previous to this, I’ve only driven ‘low-loaders’ , carrying drill rigs, etc, so a bit of class 1-refresher training, (never had to dis/connect 5th wheel- since I passed my test, and did very little reversing, because ‘on site’ I didn’t have to, and got lazy!)…and a new job looks ‘in order’…thank you for your help…if you do know of anyone who is looking for drivers, and could e-mail me their company names, I’d be grateful.
lines or stars to get past the word censor is a good clue it’s not allowed :wink: mrs mix

deeroscorla:
:?:
Hi,
can anyone help me with a question, about night rates & ‘company bonus payments’…I 've been driving psv/hgv’s for 20 yrs, but this is the first time I’ve driven permanent night runs…
I’m paid an hourly rate (which is very low), and £6 per night:night bonus, and £15 per night ‘company bonus’ (which I would lose {if I ever damage the truck} to the value of the damage, or for a maximum 6 weeks).
When I take my holidays, or bank holidays, or if I am off sick, I am only paid the basic hourly rate, no night bonus & no company bonus…so if like at Christmas we ‘have’ to take 10 days off , because the yard is closed, or when I have to take the balance of my hols…my wages those months are real bad.

Question: Is this normal, or am I being taken for a mug?..

with two sugars!!!
I’m asking now, 'cos although I’ve been with the company I’m with for over a year, I’ve just paid for my lgv renewal £29, and £74 for the doctors medical, myself…and having spoke to a couple of other drivers, who work for different companies, they had their renewals, and doctors bills paid for by the company…

Can you help?
Thanks Dee
dee_roscorla@hotmail.com

ignore that dont know what i am doing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

just answered your question short and to the point.

neil46:
just answered your question short and to the point.

Can you help? …

I have found that during my period of working as an agency driver (before becoming an owner driver)that the practice of “making up” the wage packet is becoming ever more popular with companies.

To me it is just a cynical attempt to save money especially around hol time or when sombody is off due to injury/sickness.

Invariably there is always a clause whereby the company doesn’t have to pay the full amount, usually if the driver has an accident (however minor i know of people who have lost a years bonus in excess of £1,000 for a broken mirror that was done in the yard!) or the driver hasn’t met a certain target.

I personally think it is a diabolical way of doing business and if I get to the stage of employing other drivers I wouldn’t even contemplate using a “bonus” method of payment (except possibly a fuel saving bonus on top of their wages)

I see from the back of their trailers that ASDA in Bedford are looking for drivers,must be worth a look ?

argos in bedord are after drivers to :wink: