Question re infringements

Hello everyone.
Very worried because I’ve stupidly managed to leave my card in the truck overnight for the second time now.
I passed my Class 2 test in March although I’ve only been driving professionally for the last month.
I’ve just come back from a week’s holiday and my boss has told me I’ve had a few infringements and he’s got it in the neck because I’ve cocked my manual entries up (despite reading up extensively on them before starting the job!).
He was alright with it and understanding as I’m a new pass but I’m worried that this second instance of leaving the card in might lose me my job, especially since I’m still on my probationary period.
I know that as an HGV driver this is pretty slack on my part and I’m going to try my very best to get this stuff nailed on as soon as possible.
What do you think the worst outcome could be?

Thanks in advance,
Worried of Halifax

You’ve made a schoolboy error a couple of times. Your gaffer, if he’s any sort of a man, can easily reconcile the errors with evidence of your holiday and the card being left in the machine. However, if he wanted to be awkward, he could make a fuss about it. But, IMO, he’d only make a fool of himself cos - as I said - this is so easy to explain and evidence.

Hope it all goes well, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you get in the habit of downloading your card after every shift, you wont be able to leave it in the truck - You might leave it in the card reader though

If you’re not sure what you’re doing with the manual entries, ask another driver or TM to walk you through them in the cab with you pushing the buttons, to make sure you’re good and sorted with them.

Most companies aren’t too busy now, so have the time to spare another driver to give you a hand, but things will start getting busier come November and they might be expecting you to be ok with them.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone, I’ve done it a couple of times myself :blush:
Easily done at the end of aa long shift when you’re knackered. Just make sure you do a tacho printout and write all the details on there, including your name printed and signed.

Thanks for the replies lads, feel a lot better now!

Hyh:
Most companies aren’t too busy now, so have the time to spare another driver to give you a hand, but things will start getting busier come November and they might be expecting you to be ok with them.

I’m working for ScS delivering sofas, they’re behind on orders because of the lurgy so it’s absolutely nuts at the minute. But I’ll defo see about talking to one of the more experienced drivers.

dosen’t your TM,or office pointy-shoes download your driver’s card at the end of every shift? that would ensure you don’t leave it in overnight.

bombadilian:
Thanks for the replies lads, feel a lot better now!

Hyh:

I’m working for ScS delivering sofas, they’re behind on orders because of the lurgy so it’s absolutely nuts at the minute. But I’ll defo see about talking to one of the more experienced drivers.

Delivering sofas? surely you are double manned, ask your co driver to show you, or ask your drivers mate to remind you to pull your card.

You are probably over thinking it all, try a reminder on your phone, post it on steering wheel in your car, once it becomes habit you will be fine.

The boss will probably call you a muppet, and not be happy since it means that they have to do more work to make sure all the records are clear that you had made a mistake and nothing dodgy had happened

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk