Question RE Digital Tacho / driving breaks

Will give a brief overview of the situation:

Digi card inserted at 12:45 ish (11:45 utc).

Manual entry added for start of shift 10am (9am utc)

break inserted manually at 12:15 - 12:45 =30 mins (11:15 - 11:45 utc)

then other work from card insertion to completing the manual entry. about 10 mins or so.

I then drove for about 2 hrs 15 ish mins . Put on another 30 min break to reset the drive time so I could get back home.

I asked the driving trainer at the site I went to whether the 30 min would be enough or whether a 45 needed to be taken. He said 30 min would be fine.

Got back to home depot, 2 hrs 45 mins ish, removed card at 19:15 ( 18:15 utc)

I will move the end shift to 21:30 (20:30 utc) when I next get a digi vehicle.

On having my card scanned in the Digifob, the transport guy at work said its showing an infringement of 5hrs 08mins drive without sufficient break. I questioned this but accepted it anyway,

I have always been led to believe that what i did was correct. The digi tacho machine reset the drive time to 00:00 after my half hour break so I assumed the half hour was correct.

Should I have had a 45 minute break or ■■?

Anyone got any experience in this as the bloke behind the desk didn’t seem to understand much about my manual entry etc

Thanks

Breaks interrupt periods of driving, your first break was before you did any driving so therefore doesn’t count toward the required 45 minutes. The only thing it would have been any good for would be postponing the latest point at which you would need you 15 minute WTD break, 16:30 instead of 16:00.

You should have had 45 minutes when you took the 30 after your first driving period, alternatively 15 minutes then and 30 before exceeding 4.5 hours driving.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK REH17 :wink:

REH17:
Will give a brief overview of the situation:

Digi card inserted at 12:45 ish (11:45 utc).

Manual entry added for start of shift 10am (9am utc)

break inserted manually at 12:15 - 12:45 =30 mins (11:15 - 11:45 utc)

then other work from card insertion to completing the manual entry. about 10 mins or so.

I then drove for about 2 hrs 15 ish mins . Put on another 30 min break to reset the drive time so I could get back home.

I asked the driving trainer at the site I went to whether the 30 min would be enough or whether a 45 needed to be taken. He said 30 min would be fine.

Got back to home depot, 2 hrs 45 mins ish, removed card at 19:15 ( 18:15 utc)

I will move the end shift to 21:30 (20:30 utc) when I next get a digi vehicle.

On having my card scanned in the Digifob, the transport guy at work said its showing an infringement of 5hrs 08mins drive without sufficient break. I questioned this but accepted it anyway,

I have always been led to believe that what i did was correct. The digi tacho machine reset the drive time to 00:00 after my half hour break so I assumed the half hour was correct.

Anyone got any experience in this as the bloke behind the desk didn’t seem to understand much about my manual entry etc

Thanks

I assume the manual entry for the period of time from 10:00 to 12:15 was for “other work” ?

On the above assumption:

Given the manual entries you say you made I’ve no idea why the tachograph would have reset the driving after the 30 minute break you took after 2 3/4 hours driving, it certainly shouldn’t have done :open_mouth:

A break will only count as a driving break if it starts after some driving has been done, you cannot have a driving break before you start driving because the regulations state that the break comes after driving for 4.5 hours, although the regulations allow you to split the break it in no way changes the fact that the first part of a split break break cannot start before some driving has been done, therefore the break you put in manually did not count as a driving break.

REH17:

He either misunderstood what you was doing or he doesn’t understand the driver regulations himself.

REH17:

Yes.

If you choose to have a split break you can take 15 minutes after you’ve done some driving and have another 30 minutes at some point at or before reaching 4.5 hours driving, the driving time will then be re-set.

REH17:
On having my card scanned in the Digifob, the transport guy at work said its showing an infringement of 5hrs 08mins drive without sufficient break

Your company scan driver cards with a Digifob ? :confused:

tachograph:

REH17:

He either misunderstood what you was doing or he doesn’t understand the driver regulations himself.

I’ll have a fiver on option 2. :wink: He’s a driver trainer so the odds are stacked toward him not knowing the regulations. :wink:

tachograph:

I commented on that too but Neil beat me so I deleted the post :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

I commented on that too but Neil beat me so I deleted the post :open_mouth:

I didn’t comment on that bit, I just rolled my eyes :unamused: and moved on. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

REH17:

I’ll have a fiver on option 2. :wink: He’s a driver trainer so the odds are stacked toward him not knowing the regulations. :wink:

Sorry but I’m not taking that bet, the odds are too heavily stacked in your favour :laughing: