Question on Northants Police Website

Is it legal for a 3rd person to travel in a lorry cab perched on the sleeping bunk??

I’ve seen it happen on training vehicles but other then that i don’t know…

Any ideas?

The Coppers don’t know either, and have posted a link to the DfT website

Doesn’t sound like it would be.

Are you sure it wasn’t just a third seat in the training vehicle, don’t think they have bunks?

Not seen any training vehicles using the bunk for a third person for years now - I think risk assessment would be too high

The law states that front seats must have belts and be worn

Bench seats are allowed without belts if not a front seat

Legally … Hmmm…

DJC:
don’t think they have bunks?

Why wouldn’t they? It all depends on what the trainer has bought.

My cat C was a day cab and C+E was a sleeper.

common sense says it would be illegal but since we are talking about the law, common sense does not apply so maybe it is legal? not all cars are fitted with rear seat belts so wearing them when not fitted doesnt apply. they are only legally required to be worn where fitted!

MANs have retractable bars that come up in front of the bed so people can sleep whilst the vehicle is in transit driven by a second driver. I think this ‘restraint’ makes it legal to use the bed whilst driving although its not much use if youre sat up.

You can i think.
I saw a daf flower truck that had 3 bunks in it for triple manning, and it didn’t have 3 seats.

ROG:
Not seen any training vehicles using the bunk for a third person for years now - I think risk assessment would be too high

Legally … Hmmm…

does the law state that though?
i thought seat belts had to be worn if fitted!

Moose:

ROG:

Legally … Hmmm…

does the law state that though?

Pretty sure Harry, or someone asked this before, it’s a grey area. There’s no law specifically precluding adults travelling in the back of a Land Rover or van or something like that but a bit like the various trailer towing laws etc. there’s plenty of contradicting cases of coppers handing out FPNs for it without it ever being tested in court.

It’s also a mess where the law has tried to make drivers/vehicle owners liable for things either other occupants or someone who’s borrowed the vehicle are doing, for example if an adult hitchhiker is happy to jump in and sit on the cab floor.

There is a clue in the term “seat belt”. The requirements about them being fitted (and worn) only apply to seats… (no, not SEATs - seats :laughing: )

But that’s not to say no offence is committed - S100(1) Construction & Use Regs requires that the manner in which passengers are carried must be such that no danger is caused, or likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle.

It must be ok as I saw it earlier on the one show on the bbc. A farmer was taking spare feed to Wales, driver was driving, passenger was in his seat, interviewer was sat on the bed talking to the passenger. No seatbelt on the interviewer. Don’t know if the camera person was strapped in but must have been on the bed.

Moose:

As opposed to?

the maoster:

Moose:

As opposed to?

Not wearing them?

How does that cop (Angus?) carry his film crew?
He drives, copper in the passenger seat and a film crew if I remember.

Police have an exemption from seat belts…and can park on double yellows while buying donuts.

coreysboys:
I think this ‘restraint’ makes it legal to use the bed whilst driving although its not much use if youre sat up.

…the mind boggles…