Question, may be stupid but if you dont ask

I have come back to Class 1 after a long break.
I freelance for local firms when it suits me and them. Not agency.

I don’t want to go down the road of committing to a truck on a lease deal and get into all that stress. However if I did my operators license would I be able to hire lorries as and when and freelance with truck as well .

midlifetrucker:
I have come back to Class 1 after a long break.
I freelance for local firms when it suits me and them. Not agency.

I don’t want to go down the road of committing to a truck on a lease deal and get into all that stress. However if I did my operators license would I be able to hire lorries as and when and freelance with truck as well .

You don’t do an Operators licence you obtain an O licence which will be for a specific place you nominate for the vehicle base …

Bit pedantic but hey ho. Okay so if I “obtain” an o license and used a yard as a base could I do what I said.

midlifetrucker:
Bit pedantic but hey ho. Okay so if I “obtain” an o license and used a yard as a base could I do what I said.

Well I put it that way as I didn’t know if you ment CPC a bit like DCPC or CPC there is a difference

It’s my first post after just reading TNUK for a while (i’m a quite newbie - drive for one year). So first i’d like to say hello to everyone. In reply to OP: yes, you can do that. My first part time job was for little food wholesale company based in Machester. Owner needed trucks only once a week. He was hiring a few luton vans and two rigids ( i drove one of rigids), got goods delivered and dehired them till next thursday. I know he had O licence. Before i’ve put my card in tacho i had to put his company card first. I hope you understand what i wrote as english is not my first language.

I thought asking about an operators license would have been the clue.

Best thing you can do is download the operators licence application guidance notes and have a read.
Think you will need to show access to vehicle, owned, leased or rented.

Yes, you can apply for an Operator’s Licence without having any type of truck, owned, leased or rented.

When you are granted your Operator’s Licence you can get a truck, any way you want to.

midlifetrucker:
I thought asking about an operators license would have been the clue.

You asked about

doing an operators

licence not applying

Woteva (sheesh) thanks Harry Monk

Harry Monk:
Yes, you can apply for an Operator’s Licence without having any type of truck, owned, leased or rented.

When you are granted your Operator’s Licence you can get a truck, any way you want to.

If you intend to operate hired vehicles for short periods only you do not have to give
vehicle details. However if the hire contract should extend beyond one month, the
vehicle must be specified on your operator’s licence.
Standard licence applicants:
From 4 December 2011 standard licence applicants must be able to prove they have a
formal arrangement for access at all times to at least one vehicle registered or in
circulation in GB.
This could be by specifying a vehicle for use under an O-licence or by demonstrating on
request that the licence holder has a vehicle available – so vehicles may be either wholly
owned or held under a hire-purchase, hire/leasing arrangement or other type of formal
arrangement.

I bet the conditions Bazstan quotes above is to stop people obtaining an o licence and then ‘renting’ it out.