Question mark for daily rest

Morning all! First week has gone pretty well I think, I haven’t broken anything anyway!
I thought that after a lot of reading on here before hand I’d be fine with using the tacho but it turns out I was wrong! I thought I was doing everything correctly (bar a couple of silly mistakes) but it seems not. I’ve been doing a print out every day to make it easier to fill in my time sheet and it seems that my daily rest is being recorded ok until midnight then recorded as a ? from midnight until the start of my next shift. Unfortunately I left my printouts in my cab so I can’t show what I mean at the moment, any one know what’s going on here? Siemens tacho head, early type I would guess as it’s in a 57 plate unit.

On type 1 digital tachographs daily rest is always recorded as ? unless you manually record it as rest.

It’s nothing to worry about.

tachograph:
On type 1 digital tachographs daily rest is always recorded as ? unless you manually record it as rest.

Ah, all good then. I had a search as best as I could before I asked the question but didn’t find that anywhere. Thanks very much.

Les Shoes:

tachograph:

Ah, all good then. I had a search as best as I could before I asked the question but didn’t find that anywhere. Thanks very much.

It’s generally accepted as rest but the reason it comes up as a ? and not the bed symbol is because it’s unaccounted time. You could be doing other work in a older vehicle with paper charts for example.

m1cks:

Les Shoes:

tachograph:

It’s generally accepted as rest but the reason it comes up as a ? and not the bed symbol is because it’s unaccounted time. You could be doing other work in a older vehicle with paper charts for example.

Well there’s an idea…

If you use a newer tacho and put end of shift and start of shift as manual entries it’ll do ? for the time in between.

htmldude:

m1cks:

Les Shoes:

tachograph:

Well there’s an idea…

If you use a newer tacho and put end of shift and start of shift as manual entries it’ll do ? for the time in between.

The new ones require you to select a mode for the missing time as the manual entries are made differently so it’s up to you if you enter a ? or a bed.

htmldude:
Well there’s an idea…

Not necessarily it won’t, in fact I don’t think it will automatically record ? under any circumstances.

I could be wrong so if you want to try it let us know what happens … just don’t expect us to pay the fine for insufficient daily rest it it goes wrong :smiley:

The new Tachos don’t automatically record anything which is why so many people get infringements by accidentally adding the previous day’s work to their current day.

tachograph:

htmldude:
Well there’s an idea…

Not necessarily it won’t, in fact I don’t think it will automatically record ? under any circumstances.

I could be wrong so if you want to try it let us know what happens … just don’t expect us to pay the fine for insufficient daily rest it it goes wrong :smiley:

I think it might have been a stoneridge. It had the circles and arrows (as found on analogue tacho discs) with “start shift” as an option among the classic crossed hammers, PoA box and bed options. Using there gave ?'s. (did end of shift and start of shift as manual entries, instead of manual entries, then start of shift, as it is displayed on a normal printout)

I think Terry is right.

It does sound like a version ‘2’ Siemens. I recommend to all drivers that they do a full manual entry each time they log in on a version 2 and make sure their rest is actually recorded. The tacho won’t do it automatically. It will let you choose NO when it asks if you want to manual input but then it is likely to carry info over from the last shift to the new shift screwing up the nice VDO information screens showing driving time, breaks etc

As the driver enters the manual input screen it will show the last time the card was ejected and ask the driver to select the mode for what happened next. Just choose BED, OK on that and jump through the date and time with the OK button to the current time (if you’ve nothing else to enter) and that’ll record BED from end of last shift to now. Perfect.

The newer Stoneridge has a nice ‘Rest until now’ feature