Question for yank truckers on here

hi.

not sure if this is in the correct place but basically going to Florida next year and it will be the first time driving in the states and driving on the right hand side of the road come to that :blush: , so just after a few pointers/hints and tips really.

yes i know being a professional driver and all i shouldnt be asking questions like :blush: :blush: this but figured no harm in asking i’m told most cars are automatics which im used to in a truck anway. and they dont have roundabouts over there and you can run a red light if turning right??

cheers
greg.

floridareview.co.uk/getting- … rida.shtml

It’s easy enough really. Most hire cars are available with sat nav these days.

Important things to remember

Always stop completely at a Stop sign even if you can see it’s clear.
A Yield sign is a Give Way and works like here.
Right on red is OK, unless it is signposted otherwise, but you must stop at the line to make sure it’s clear and safe before making the turn.
Petrol and diesel pumps are often the opposite colour to the UK. I still panic when I’m filling my car in the UK :blush:
At night a lot of traffic lights in quieter areas do turn from normal to flashing amber which just turns them basically into a give way.

Everything else is pretty much the same or common sense really, so relax you’ll be fine :wink:

groovy greg:
hi.

not sure if this is in the correct place but basically going to Florida next year and it will be the first time driving in the states and driving on the right hand side of the road come to that :blush: , so just after a few pointers/hints and tips really.

yes i know being a professional driver and all i shouldnt be asking questions like :blush: :blush: this but figured no harm in asking i’m told most cars are automatics which im used to in a truck anway. and they dont have roundabouts over there and you can run a red light if turning right??

Hiya…not there’s not many roundabouts there called traffic circles only a few though
what i like when i’am over their is when you’re approching traffic lights. theres a yellow light overhead
about 20+ yards before the lights if this light starts to flash be prepared to stop if its on constant
you know you.ll have plenty of time to go through.in the uk i’ve seen a green light in the distance
backed of because i knew the light would change then got closer put foot down and then the light did
change stamped on foot brake and still ended up half across the white line.
John

I had 2 and a half years in the states in the late 90s.

I believe ALL hire cars are automatics and yes you can turn right on a red, but beware, some places it is signed that you cant.

Biggest mistake most Brits make is coming out of a restaurant/garage on a single carriageway and taking to the left side of the road.

Use the cruise control cos you will probably find it difficult to stay to the speed limits without it.

Dont forget, you can legally pass on either side too.

First time I went I was driving at night, in no rush, doing 55mph behind a truck. Not really paying much attention if I’m honest, next thing I know I’m coming off the freeway/highway :blush: :blush: which I didn’t want to do! You have to watch out cause depending what road your on they have exits on both sides, sounds weird I know but it can really catch you out if like me your not paying attention! Lesson learned the hard way, my missus was papping her pants, no sat nav, her unable to read a map! Made for a pleasant evening…Not!

Fileep:
First time I went I was driving at night, in no rush, doing 55mph behind a truck. Not really paying much attention if I’m honest, next thing I know I’m coming off the freeway/highway :blush: :blush: which I didn’t want to do! You have to watch out cause depending what road your on they have exits on both sides, sounds weird I know but it can really catch you out if like me your not paying attention! Lesson learned the hard way, my missus was papping her pants, no sat nav, her unable to read a map! Made for a pleasant evening…Not!

Hiya i always thought if they had made the M5 slip of the M6 to the right it would have made juction 8 alot safer stopping cars from cutting across slower lanes…It is better now with the road maked better but many car drivers can’t get the hang of that.
John

Couple of other points from my drives in US.
Never pass a school bus from either direction if its lights are flashing whether it is stopped or not.

Always obey the speed limit when driving past a school. The lollypop man or woman will introduce you to a few choice compliments on your driving skills if you speed.

If you get pulled over by the police stay in your seat and put your hands on the steering wheel or dashboard where they can be seen. Keep them there until the policeman is happy.

Don’t flash your lights to let someone out of a junction or for any other reason - the septics don’t like it.

Don’t ask them why rounders is such a big sport over there.

Driving is fun over there so enjoy!!

Park in the direction of traffic even if it isn’t dark. I learnt that the hard way with a ticket.

Don’t park on a red kerb.

Be prepared to stop a lot in residential areas, most junctions will have mutual stop signs.

As mentioned, you may turn right on a red signal if it is clear.

Freeway lanes frequently become exits, keep an eye on the signs.

Dont do what i did in clearwater, florida. Been out for a meal with the missus quite late driving home i didnt completly stop at a stop sign, coppers on my tail, so i pulled over. As he was getting out of his car i reached for the glove box to get my licence out he pulled his gun out on me and ordered me out the car. Once he patted me down got chatting to him, realised i was english gave me a bollocking about reaching for the glove box, he thought i was going for a gun myself. Apparently its a $180 fine for running a stop sign,

Ive recently come back from Florida. The only thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that undertaking is the norm and actually works quite well in the us. but not over here due to too many ■■■■■ :smiley:

Compared to some countries. i.e Thailand and the Philippines, America is a very easy country to drive in.
Large purpose built wide roads with clear signage in English. I drove back from the â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  to Flagstaff after dark alone. Its quite a long way & was a bit scary really. It was extremely cold (snow around) & no mobile. I was concerned about breaking down.

Take it easy in the wet, yanks can’t drive for toffee in the wet, you’ll see spin out accidents all over the place.

Unless you have quad band, your phone won’t work in the US.

My phone was fine but it’s woefully expensive to use it.

I found the numbering of junctions on the freeway a bit confusing because each junction has two different numbers, never did find out what that meant (and my navigator didn’t know how to read a map so that didn’t help). That was in Tennessee, maybe it’s different in Florida. Other than that I found driving in the States a breeze, enjoy!

Number one safety thing to remember is:

When you are turning left KEEP IN MIND that you have ONCOMING traffic to think about :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: