Question for ya

Right…Im intrested in fellow drivers answer to this.

I was speaking to a driver while i was being tipped and it came up that “Good drivers will get work etc”

So my question is-What makes a good driver in the eyes of employer?

Punctual, reliable, don’t smash kit up, flexible, presentable, gets on with the job without moaning, able to problem solve to a point (awkward tips etc).

The cynical side of me would also add; be prepared to bend if not break the rules to suit the needs of the business. :wink:

Always been the case, good drivers do find work and aint looking for long in between jobs.

To add to Conan’s list, those who don’t take sickies, discreet, polite to customers, keep their vehicles in good condition and drive economically in all senses.

Being good with other firms drivers helps as they then mention to you about jobs going in their yard.

A lot of the answers are coming from a driver’s point of view, from the owner’s point of view it would be that the driver never questions anything and he just goes along with whatever he’s told to do, that’s what they call a good driver. They don’t care if you’re the best driver in the world as long as you get the drops done, you have to believe this when you see what’s out there driving, and you’re just a number to them so you’re only as good as what you think you are and that’s ok

Everything’s been said.
One thing I think is they employ you to be a “professional driver” (stupid phrase) in their truck, that to me means that they expect you to know your own job an not have to have them mothering you.
Eg. I know drivers who are utterly useless at thinking for themselves, the slightest problem and they call the office and expect them to solve it.
“I can’t find the place” or “I can’t shut the doors” etc.

Calling office bods to sort you out is a last resort in my book.

a mix of all of the above, never struggled to find work and if I ever went back full time driving doubt I would again.

try to be polite, punctual and get the job done with as little fuss as possible.

From an employers perspective the browner the nose the better the driver, strangely the ability to drive is secondary.
Luckily I dont mind getting my nose dirty on occasion.

From a fellow drivers perspective I suppose a good driver is one who is friendly, doesnt bore with jackanory RDC tales and is able to discuss other things apart from the chuffin job.

Also little things like ok at reversing ok at going forwards, helpfull on the road and not trying to overtake just after a roundabout when your building up to a faster speed than the embarrased numpty on your offside, good drivers in faster vehicles will of course ease of to help another sister out.

Oh and also drivers that can laugh at themselves from time to time and not throw a strop when others are just taking the ■■■■.

Think ive just described meself… :wink:

nightline:
A lot of the answers are coming from a driver’s point of view, from the owner’s point of view it would be that the driver never questions anything and he just goes along with whatever he’s told to do, that’s what they call a good driver. They don’t care if you’re the best driver in the world as long as you get the drops done, you have to believe this when you see what’s out there driving, and you’re just a number to them so you’re only as good as what you think you are and that’s ok

So why did they get rid of all the Poles several years ago?

Conor:

nightline:

So why did they get rid of all the Poles several years ago?

For people who live under a rock your pole is still there but because more countries have joined the eu in the last few years you don’t notice them as much i.e. Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovenia, Estonia, Bulgaria, and the next one will probably be turkey and then you will be saying god them poles weren’t that bad, god help us

It is imperative that a good driver talks ■■■■■■■■. Many a wait at deliveries can be livened up by a driver who has the ability to chat sh*t.

buses:
Right…Im intrested in fellow drivers answer to this.

I was speaking to a driver while i was being tipped and it came up that “Good drivers will get work etc”

So my question is-What makes a good driver in the eyes of employer?

When I first started driving I asked a lorry driver mate of mine for advice. He said “don’t bang the truck and don’t kill anyone. Oh, and get the job done on time”. I think it really is that simple. Personally I don’t think its brown nosing to comply with any legal request your employer makes. It’s your job.
On a side note, my mates other advice was “think of your payslip when you’re driving and tear along the dotted line!”

Years ago an employer of mine (Brian Rosier) described a certain driver as “a fire and forget missile”. When I asked him why he said “he does the job no quicker or no slower than anyone else, but he doesn’t crash, he doesn’t upset people, he doesn’t ■■■■■ and moan, and when he gets given a job you can tick it off as done, simple as that”. Them words stuck with me.

I bet maoster if you were to ask the driver a similar question about his boss he’d probably say that he gets allocated a reasonable amount of work to do, doesn’t get bitched at and nagged, gets paid on time and properly, gets given the work and left to get on with it and is respected for the job he does by his boss.

I’d agree with that too ^^^^^^^

Bach home:
Everything’s been said.
One thing I think is they employ you to be a “professional driver” (stupid phrase) in their truck, that to me means that they expect you to know your own job an not have to have them mothering you.
Eg. I know drivers who are utterly useless at thinking for themselves, the slightest problem and they call the office and expect them to solve it.
“I can’t find the place” or “I can’t shut the doors” etc.

Calling office bods to sort you out is a last resort in my book.

If anything unexpected happens I’m straight on the phone to the office, as if I make a decision its my neck in the noose… If I call them and let them decide, I live to drive another day!!!