Question for USA/Canadian truckers?

It may seem a daft question,can anyone say why front bonneted trucks are prefered to the european type motors with the engine under the bunk,and are there any european type of trucks used in the USA/Canada.
While watching Channel Fives TV documentary about drivers working on the “Dalton” highway,working for Carlisle Enterprises Inc,on several occasions,drivers were having problems engaging down the gear ranges,and sometimes they could not change the gears with ease on the Kenworth C12 models,what was the reason for this,as i have never trucked with these types of vehicles.The lady driver called Lisa,had a cooling switch she activated,what was that about.She had a fuel leakage,and may have frozen to death awaiting a rescue,and the she said she was out of radio range,would there have been another way,apart from the CB to summon help from her company in Alaska.?

I can answer this …

It’s because they are stupid ! I would love a Scania are other european truck, they are far more manouverable to start with. American drivers have no experience with European trucks and think there is still a huge hump in the cab to conceal the engine. I see owner operators buying huge long bonneted dinosaurs and then wounder why it’s so hard to get into places :question:
As for the gear box question … most trucks over here have gear boxes that were made obsolete in Europe in the late 80’s. It’s like in 1965 they came across a design of truck that worked well so they stuck with it for eternity :laughing:
The only advantage trucks here have is bigger sleepers, they are primative, hard to manouver, have no lifting air bags for some reason and have boxes of gears as opposed to gear boxes.

The reason they have trouble changing down on the TV program is pure theatre, it makes an otherwise boring program interesting for the ley persone, it adds to the suspense, ooooooooooooohh arhhhhhhhhhh efect.
The general design and technical standard of the trucks here is about 15 years behind that of europe, Why ■■? well for the main part trucks dont go back to base, they are out on the road pretty much all the time. it is not uncommon for drivers to live hundreds of miles from there employer, so servicing and maintanace are done on the road at truck stops etc. So the technoligy is intreduced at a slower rate, as half the mechanics cant even operate a calculator let alone a computer diagnostic system. Europe also have very hi constraints regarding emisions and saftey far exceeding those of the USA, these things are very slowly being introduced over here. Since landing on the moon back in the 60’s they have not moved forward technicaly.

Agree,same goes for their motorbikes.Although I reckon a lot has to do with image.Long nose Pete,straight thru stacks,sat on the floor with a ten foot shifter,eh Rob,Mark :slight_smile:

Gremmie,good to see you up and running again. :sunglasses:

Apart from anything else, if I was to hit a moose, I would prefer to have a huge chunk of engine between me and the moose and be sat a long way behind the impact zone. Somehow, sitting on top of the engine just doesn’t cut it in that situation.

Whats wrong with Eaton/Fuller Roadrangers? they are better than anything we currently use in europe including AStronic. Last had 1 in 2000,missed it ever since. Mark

I have to agree with having a huge hood out in front, when I did a few weeks in an FH during last year’s extended holiday in the UK I felt very vulnerable without it, the old technology is as gremmie said really, nothing further to add :wink:

I’m ok with the gearboxes, I have days where it fights me every change, but most of the time they’re easy to use, I’m really into the old school Pete thing, no air in the chair, big pipes etc, but if I had to get into the 21st century and have a Volvo it would have to have i-shift :blush:

Big Jon’s dad:
Apart from anything else, if I was to hit a moose, I would prefer to have a huge chunk of engine between me and the moose and be sat a long way behind the impact zone. Somehow, sitting on top of the engine just doesn’t cut it in that situation.

Dont see many cars where you sit on the engine or many moose in UK so you should be ok for a while :laughing: :laughing:

dave_lol66:

Big Jon’s dad:

Dont see many cars where you sit on the engine or many moose in UK so you should be ok for a while :laughing: :laughing:

Ya got me there Dave. :smiley: I used to drive a J4 in my yoof. That had the engine under and between the seats. Best part was the sliding doors so it was air conditioned, sort of!

However, I do drive in Canada too, just not in a truck. There are moose there cos I’ve seen them on highway 16.

Nowdays I drive a Scudo MPV (minivan to you guys). What we get a lot of here is deer. I live on the edge of Cannock Chase. I’ve seen what a deer does to a car.

Big Jon’s dad:
I live on the edge of Cannock Chase. I’ve seen what a deer does to a car.

Lovely part of the country, just make sure you don’t pick up the accent :laughing: :laughing:

dave_lol66:

Big Jon’s dad:
I live on the edge of Cannock Chase. I’ve seen what a deer does to a car.

Lovely part of the country, just make sure you don’t pick up the accent :laughing: :laughing:

Tell me about it! Cannock has a black country dialect similar to Walsall. They say foive and noine using an oi sound instead of five and nine.
Rugeley is 8 miles away over the Chase and has a completly different accent. I of course don’t have an accent at all. I speak perfect English just loike what the Queen does. :laughing:
Actually my accent changes depending on where I am and who I’m speaking too. I pick up inflections very quickly.

Its not just the tractor units that are behind the times, a lot of the trailers are still on steel suspension and drum brakes in fact I would be very surprised if any of the manufacturers have disc brakes on them yet as is now quite common in europe. But I see that Paccar who own Peterbuilt and Kenworth and also Daf are using several XF super space cab tractors as test beds to implement european technology into their vehicles so maybe there’s hope yet. Would’nt mind driving a new Volvo semi though.

Our antiquated trucks do give a nice ride,as I am sure we’ll all agree :question: Somehow can’t imagine hurtling down the T/Canada in my old Globetrotter without being thrown all over the place.Regards transmissions,I love the Eaton 13 and 18 speeds,can be a ■■■■■ to get used to ,but wouldn’t want to use anything else now.I have a new truck being built for me in Vancouver and rumour says it’s an auto,will be less than happy :imp:

I would say it’s a case of horses for courses. The manufacturers design their products with a specific market in mind. I must admit that I like the wheelbase/driving position/ride/general stability etc. of a conventional. Many people back home may not realise the higher average speeds used on highways in North America. First time I took a b-train out I had 50-55 MPH in my head, it felt as though I wasn’t moving at that speed!

Regarding the Eaton Fuller crash box issue, I’ve got a nasty suspicion that a lot of you ex-pats who like them are just dirty old pervs (or is it just me?)!

Can imagine a Barry White character saying:-

Bet y’all just LURRRVVE the sensation & vibration thru that BIG ol’ shaft on yur gearstick whilst attempting to go DOOOWWN thru her box… UMMMMM Yeah, that’s what I like BAABEEE…

Hehehe… Watch me get thrown off the forum now! :grimacing:

Actually we just like gearboxes that you can throw a handful of gravel in and they will still work.

Comparing an Euro truck to a North American truck is a pointless exercise, they’re designed to work in completely different environments.

A Euro truck would be no good over here and vice versa, but in my ‘expert’ opinion the North American truck does its job better than the Euro truck, they may be less technical, but in my mind that’s a good thing as they can be fixed with spanners and hammers rather than laptops.

In terms of living space it’s no contest, the big yank wins everytime, the cab may be smaller (on the classics) but the sleepers are huge, I’ve just done a week out with the mrs and there was plenty of space for all our gear (and we all know that women have no idea of the meaning of travelling light) we (she) also went shopping and there was ample roon to store all her new purchases, in a Euro cab that would’ve been next to impossible to achieve.

On a personal level I don’t think that a Euro truck is in the same league as a Peterbilt 379, with all the chrome switches and dials on the dash, the chrome bumper, grille, stacks, air filters, wheels, battery boxes, diesel tanks and marker lights everywhere on the outside they are full on custom trucks, no amount of light bars and spotlights can achieve the same effect :wink:

Yeah, Mark… But you are a tart when it comes to your Pete… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ample room for the purchases? Does that mean you still had room to steer? I know what these women are like when it comes to shopping!! :grimacing:

bobthedog:
Yeah, Mark… But you are a tart when it comes to your Pete… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My one is the real deal, so it deserves my affection :sunglasses:

Don’t know that I’d feel the same way about the Junior Pete or the plastic one though :laughing:

No, Mark. Yours has more bulging out of the front, but in all the wrong places… :laughing:
I have said before, I feel no need to imply size, and all the meat is in the performance… My Mighty Pete against your modern day extension any day…