Question for those who know about 'Engines'

About a month ago one of our trucks blew it’s headgasket in Newcastle-on-Tyne :frowning: :frowning: It was recovered to the local garage that does all our safety checks, routine servicing, running repairs and MOT’s
After being repaired it was driven by my colleague for 10 days without any complaint or defect report :open_mouth: Now I’ve just spent the last week driving this truck to London and back everyday and something is definetly not right. :confused: :confused:
The truck is an Iveco Eurocargo 7.5 tonner with a high cube van body and doesn’t have a limiter because of it’s age, but since the ‘head gasket’ repair the motor has lost all it’s top end pulling power and I’m having to drop a gear going up some of the M11 hills Northbound/Southound loaded or empty :question: :question: Never had to do this previously, in fact there was always something in hand to call on. :sunglasses:
I’m sure some of the loaded truck drivers I’ve struggled passed think I’m ■■■■■■■ about and slowing down on purpose after overtaking them :exclamation: :exclamation:

Hope someone can help so I can tell the boss exactly what is wrong and get it sorted ASAP

Thanks in advance
Dave Penn;

A previous question on this site was about Feather Diesels I think your vehicle would benefit by a visit.All this modern rubbish we drive,a problem does exist with mechanics,some are excellent mechanically while others fully understand electronics,rare to find someone who understands both.

davepenn54:
About a month ago one of our trucks blew it’s headgasket in Newcastle-on-Tyne :frowning: :frowning: It was recovered to the local garage that does all our safety checks, routine servicing, running repairs and MOT’s
After being repaired it was driven by my colleague for 10 days without any complaint or defect report :open_mouth: Now I’ve just spent the last week driving this truck to London and back everyday and something is definetly not right. :confused: :confused:
The truck is an Iveco Eurocargo 7.5 tonner with a high cube van body and doesn’t have a limiter because of it’s age, but since the ‘head gasket’ repair the motor has lost all it’s top end pulling power and I’m having to drop a gear going up some of the M11 hills Northbound/Southound loaded or empty :question: :question: Never had to do this previously, in fact there was always something in hand to call on. :sunglasses:
I’m sure some of the loaded truck drivers I’ve struggled passed think I’m ■■■■■■■ about and slowing down on purpose after overtaking them :exclamation: :exclamation:

Hope someone can help so I can tell the boss exactly what is wrong and get it sorted ASAP

Thanks in advance
Dave Penn;

hi mate a few years back a truck had a head gasket gone and when it came back it was fine for a bit but then the power dropped off the truck went back and it was a breather hose letting to much air in the engine I can’t that’s your fault but if mite be worth a look

possible boost leak or valve clearances not quite right?

The problem is… it’s an Iveco! :laughing:

Not entirely sure why valve clearances would be an issue if the head’s been off, more like the timing being slightly out. The rule of fault finding says you look at the simple things first. So I would suggesr looking at the filters :neutral_face:

possable air leak on the air induction. has the vacum hose come away from the turbo?? :confused:

I think you’ll find it’s the thingummyjig has discombobulated from the magubbins?

Or it’s an Iveco…

I t
V ibrates
E verything
C omes
O ff!

maybe, presuming the engine overheated when the gaskets first went did the garage check the head was,nt warped.
it might have needed skimming. the gaskets may have gone again. is there any oil in the cooling system or coolant in the oil ■■?

Block and head was not skimed before refitting and if it was they took to much off and not took this into considaration when fitting new headgasket/

In effect changing the compreshion ratio.

If it’s got a mecanical diesel pump i would suggest the pump timing aint been set with dti .

Is it smokey at all ■■

Id go with valve clearance so simple to do but even easier to ignore :exclamation:

you’re driving an iveco! other drivers will understand when you slow down on minor hills lol

check all of above answers but start by checking if an intercooler pipe is split/loose hence the turbo not running as good and losing power

mark h:
check all of above answers but start by checking if an intercooler pipe is split/loose hence the turbo not running as good and losing power

I would go for an inlet pipe too, either collapsing under a vacuum or split / leaking

Thanks for the replys guys, all the things that have been said are things that I thought might have been wrong but as I’m not an engineer or mechanic I really needed some confirmation :smiley: :smiley:
Now I have to try and translate it into ‘Urdu’ to get across to my employer just how much the truck is not performing as it should :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I also think the local garage are taking the ■■■■ and not doing the servicing or repairs to the right standard and are billing for things that haven’t been done :angry: :angry:

Thanks again
Dave Penn;

I take it no brakes binding? Check for hot wheel rims when you stop.

Here ya go Dave:

Since head gasket replaced, vehicle noticeably lacking power. Having to change down for motorway hills when empty.

Please check:

All breather, induction, intercooler & turbo hoses for splits, loose clips or collapsing:

Air filter. Air intake obstruction. (though these would tend to make it black smoke)

VALVE CLEARANCES

If nothing found, please run compression test all cylinders & compare with manufacturers figures.