Question for the newbies?

how hard is it getting started on the driving ladder…

im at exactley the right age with experiance and adr so to be honest where i live in leeds i can go to most firms and they would snap their hand off for me as long as your flexable enough.

but

im now retraining to be an electrician and now im the newbie trying to get some work while doing my studing just trying to get some experiance but can i get some … no

ive sent out 75 cv’s and 4 replys

some firms have said they want me for a minimum of 4 days a week but i cant do that cos im at college 2 days.

so do you mewbies have this much trouble trying to break into driving.

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

I found it hard getting a start last january as its
the quite time for agency’s and I was under 25
years old. I signed up with 2 agency’s but only
1gave me work as a drivers mate delivering
household appliances for minimum wage.
I then started getting class 2 work from the
other agency but did look for permanent work
but was unsuccessful for different reasons which
I now think was the right thing as the agency work
as given me so much experience ect on class 2.

Then towards the end of 2005 I passed class 1 and
got turned down for class 1 work through the agency
for not having the licence 2 years. Then exel gave me
some class 1 work and I tried to get permanent work
again which as not been successful for me yet and the
only work I am getting at the moment is class 2 and I
am hoping I don’t get to rusty on class 1.

I do hope to find permanent work this year but need to
try harder as even though I looked for jobs last year I
did not do enough in my opinion.

I was quite lucky with my class one - passed at the end of August had a few days with various companies (using a couple of agencies) and then managed to get into BHS until Christmas. The downside being that it has been hard to get much work since… …

… … just started (through agency) night trunking for PTS, which seems ok - although since the start time is 6pm it will only last me until the end of February when the missus starts working again…

Starting to look for work direct now since having little work through January nearly finished us off financially… …

G

I got a job with DHL driving a Sprinter just before i passed.

Then when i did pass i kept on at them about driving something bigger, i still spend 60% of my time in a sprinter but the 40% is all experience. They’re now offereing to pay for my Class 1.
In their words, “you’re a good worker and we dont want you to get bored and leave, escpecially as you have a Class 2”

I#d recomend going via the back door. Go to a firm that has mixed vehicles, drive their small ones, once they’ve seen you’re level headed, proffesional and you havent smashed up vans you’ll be less of an unknown quantity.

As for the sparky thing, not my field so woudnt know sorry.

dennisw1:
I got a job with DHL driving a Sprinter just before i passed.

Then when i did pass i kept on at them about driving something bigger, i still spend 60% of my time in a sprinter but the 40% is all experience. They’re now offereing to pay for my Class 1.
In their words, “you’re a good worker and we dont want you to get bored and leave, escpecially as you have a Class 2”

I#d recomend going via the back door. Go to a firm that has mixed vehicles, drive their small ones, once they’ve seen you’re level headed, proffesional and you havent smashed up vans you’ll be less of an unknown quantity.

As for the sparky thing, not my field so woudnt know sorry.

Thats how we did it in the old days,dont always look for the biggest lorry its all driving experience,start at the bottom and its all up from then.cheers Joe.

im now retraining to be an electrician and now im the newbie trying to get some work while doing my studing just trying to get some experiance but can i get some … no

ive sent out 75 cv’s and 4 replys

some firms have said they want me for a minimum of 4 days a week but i cant do that cos im at college 2 days.

so do you mewbies have this much trouble trying to break into driving.

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:
[/quote]

hi jessicas dad
i was in the building trade for 20+years [bricklayer]
before getting into haulage.
cv,s are usualy thrown in the bin without even being
looked at. you have to go door knocking m8 or you
wont get owt :exclamation:
try the small cowboy outfits first because they are
more likely to need a spark for just afew days a
week. bradford council buildings depots are usualy
desperate for all trades and they dont mind newbies
and would be happy with helping with your training
days in collage ect
email me and i will be happy to put you in touch with
a manager
but FORGET THE C.V.S waste of time and money m8. :wink:

it’s a vastly different way of earning a living thats for sure, personally i hope i never have to work in the building game again, to many time wasters, awkward costomers and bad payers but it’s each to their own.
to be honest it’s not going to be easy, theres hundreds of lads going on these coarses and employers in general don’t recognise the qualifications after all it is an apprenticeship trade.
saying all that, a mate of mine has just got corgi registered through a firm that payed for all his training, the deal being he has to work for them now he’s qualified for a minimum of twelve months which dosn’t seem a bad deal as the wages are ok and he gets a company van seven days a week.
good luck.

ive just been called by a firm who are going to put on a 2 weeks trail period starting on tuesday so we will see how that goes on.

paul b:
it’s a vastly different way of earning a living thats for sure, personally i hope i never have to work in the building game again, to many time wasters, awkward costomers and bad payers but it’s each to their own.
to be honest it’s not going to be easy, theres hundreds of lads going on these coarses and employers in general don’t recognise the qualifications after all it is an apprenticeship trade.
saying all that, a mate of mine has just got corgi registered through a firm that payed for all his training, the deal being he has to work for them now he’s qualified for a minimum of twelve months which dosn’t seem a bad deal as the wages are ok and he gets a company van seven days a week.
good luck.

My understanding is there is a large shortage of tradesmen, escpecialy Brickies, Plumbers and Plasterers.
The larger firms are trying to convince people to study them at college as they need the people.
So much so they’ve launched this bconstructive.co.uk/intro.asp and have a TV ad campaign

a lot of people walked away from the building game when the government in their wisdom changed the laws regarding self employment which basically meant lads who were full time subbies and earning good money were forced to go on the books for the firms they were subbin off and taking a big cut in money! as with all so called shortages in manpower theres not a shortage of people who can do the job, theres a shortage of people who can do the job and willing to do it for peanuts.

dont see plumbers, Brickies or plasters living in council houses if they’re any good.
the brickies that did our wall at work turned up in a brand new l200 animal and all they did was lay bricks, their mate arrived early with a ■■■■■ transit to mix the muck up and he got left to do all the clearing up to.

Aparenty a decent plumber is now on £70k, there are so few to go round that firms have to pay the money to get people.
Main reason there is a shortage now is during the 80’s/90’s schools were pushing people into going to college/uni and study computing and business course because that was the way forward. and lets face it who wants to work on a cold, wet muddy building site when you can be in a clean, warm and dry office? End result was few people were taking up aprenticships or going to tech to study the trades.

With things like the sparky though, i’m sure the courses are reckognised, simply because you can’t be an electrician with out being qualiied.