Question for Peter Smythe - C+E Training

Been googling and came across an old post about best way of getting c+e. Either “real world” artic training or “easier” W+D and then additional training in artic post test.

There is only one sensible, easy way of passing a CE. It is without any shadow of doubt, W+D. FACT.

Just wondered with the advent of automatic training/test if you still recommend that.

Thanks.

You are right in questioning whether this still makes sense - given the opportunity to use autos.

Using auto has definitely made it easier to learn on either. Given this, more and more folks are electing to go for artic. But I have no axe to grind as I run a number of drawbars as well as artics.

The choices you have with me are: full size auto artic, auto w+d, man w+d.

In any event, you’ll train on the same concrete you’ll test on as we own the test centre.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Is there a difference in pass rates between the three? Not necessarily yours but nationwide if you are familiar with them?

I also wonder if it is the reversing exercise that many fail on (and whether W+D is still more advantageous manual or auto) or is the failure down to other things?

I have to say of all lgv’s that I’ve seen out and about over the last week I can count the number of W+D on one hand.

JS8576:
Is there a difference in pass rates between the three? Not necessarily yours but nationwide if you are familiar with them?

There are no nationwide figures for types of vehicles but individual trainers may have such records

JS8576:
or is the failure down to other things?

Yes “NERVES” has a big part to play.

Paul :smiley:

I thought nerves was main issue but just curious if those nerves would be much worse in W+D or artic.

Not sure really why I am pursuing topic as was only planning on doing cat C then hiab. But I think I’m trying to talk myself into going for the c+e. Maybe after a year or two of experience.

JS8576:
I thought nerves was main issue but just curious if those nerves would be much worse in W+D or artic.

The vehicle combination is irrelevant, as long as you’ve had good training so you’ve reached test standard in a well maintained vehicle then it’s down to how you handle the occasion (test)

Paul :smiley: :smiley:

Paul is right. Properly trained, and with nerves under control, the test should be fine. My records indicate no difference in pass rates between artic and drawbar. Reversing can cause problems with both - in most cases it’s nerves again. On the road, most folks are fine in either type on test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: