Question for people who do muck-away work

Can anyone tell me what the typical cost is to tip an 8-wheeler and/or an artic full of soil or general rubble/stone.

I’m not interested in the transportation costs, only the actual cost that the land owner would charge your company to deposit the contents of your truck there.

Anyone know? :confused: Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Okay, I’ve found 2 websites that list prices for customers for muck-away work.

One (Stennetts) quotes £195 per load for a 6-legger, for “clean muck-away”. Another quotes £185 per load for same, but no mention of truck size.

How much of that would be the actual tipping cost? £100 or so?

Anyone with knowledge on this please? :confused:

you will be charged £14 tonne to tip it,waste charge…plus you may well need a waste licence to carry it…

Rob what about asking around who needs
top soil and rubble,as in this day and age
you get firms recycleing such loads when they
can.and this might save you some money.

if the load is CLEAN. ie all ■■■■■■■■ or all clean muck there are a lot of places that will give you a FREE tip.dependant on there need for the said aggregate.
always best to shop around.

remember the landscape work near wetherby? the embankment they have done—it was free tip for muck.

also near newark a while back signs on da roadside for free tip.clean ■■■■■■■■ and muck.

Thanks for the replies folks. I didn’t realise that it was a free tip system for clean muck-away work. I thought that the places charged you. :frowning:

ive been doin muck away work for 6 years rob, and to be honest the only free tips ive come across are for loads such as concrete/brick,you can get away with good top soil in the load but not to much of it,else they mark it as mixed spoil and charge a reduced rate,think its about £20-30, as for muck or spoil as we call it, basically ■■■■ thats no good for nothing and cant be recycled/screened, then you can pay between £40-80 per 8 wheeler load to tip in a private tip, we never use the big tips such as biffa or quarries because they charge well over the odds,the only time we run into the likes of biffa landfills is if we are carting contaminated spoil away which is then charged by the tonne

Gav, thanks. You have PM.

Ask around the local farms, particularly low-lying ones - there is always someone with a hole to fill!

They might not be as keen if it is just soil but if its got plenty of ■■■■■■■■ in it (no massive lumps mind) the farmer might even bung you a few quid if you’re lucky! :sunglasses: :wink:

As others have said, you might also look for a local firm who recyle stuff like that, will be far cheaper than landfill which is ridiculously expensive.

Our firm pays £60-£100 per 8 wheel load to tip clean muck. Clean ■■■■■■■■ is less than this. Slightly contaminated is about £400-£500 per 8 wheel load.
Watch out for a “free” tip. Make sure they have a tip licence. My firm got caught out on this a few years ago. It is the carrier who tipped the load that gets fined and my lot were fined £30,000 for a so say free tip.

Thanks chaps. Gav’s sorted me out with the low-down on it now. It was just an idea that had come to mind as there’s a disused 14 acre quarry for sale not far from me and it’s on for less than what my house cost :open_mouth: . I was thinking that it maybe could be used for clean tipping and make a tidy sum on it because I thought it all seemed way too easy and turns out that it’s a whole bunch of hassle and not worth it.