Question for agency guys

Over the past 8 days I have worked between two different agencies, managed to get four days with one last week and get Friday with another agency
The second agency requested I go back to the same company Monday and I turned down other work because I enjoyed working for the said company
However today that company did not require me and apparently requires me tomorrow.
Yet to be fully confirmed.

So knowing they did not need me yesterday I asked the office if the had anything for me today at lunch time and was told not yet but requested not to call any other agencies as they would get me something.
Foyr hours later called them again and told nothing doing, well here I am sat at home now having contacted four of the agencies last night looking for work, one if them (silverarrow) total waste of space keeps asking if I got text messages when clearly never sent any.

So can i ask is it considered poor form to work for several agencies in a week or do you stick with the one ?
I’d rather be paid today and tomorrow from two different agencies than not be paid at all.

When I do agency work, I always sign up to as many as possible, that way, if one doesn’t have work, another normally does. Once I agree the work, I never cancel it for a “better” job, and refuse work from other agencies for that time. If they cancel the agreed work, be it for the day or the week, I immediately phone around the others, letting them know I’m available. Even if they tell you not to phone others, do it anyway, first come, first served!
When they tell you not to ring others, it normally means they are ringing round fishing for work, so you might as well have the others fish for work at the same time, giving you more of a chance than leaving it to one.
It’s not always about the dedication to an agency that will get you work, it’s about taken on anything when your available and sticking to it, proving your someone to call first at short notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiffys trucking:
When I do agency work, I always sign up to as many as possible, that way, if one doesn’t have work, another normally does. Once I agree the work, I never cancel it for a “better” job, and refuse work from other agencies for that time. If they cancel the agreed work, be it for the day or the week, I immediately phone around the others, letting them know I’m available. Even if they tell you not to phone others, do it anyway, first come, first served!
When they tell you not to ring others, it normally means they are ringing round fishing for work, so you might as well have the others fish for work at the same time, giving you more of a chance than leaving it to one.
It’s not always about the dedication to an agency that will get you work, it’s about taken on anything when your available and sticking to it, proving your someone to call first at short notice

Cheers mate, only been at it a week and well ■■■■■■ off already, the agency I worked for last week tried to rail road me into signing with an umbrella company even though I joined as PAYE.
Called the ti say it’s not happening and to ask the umbrella to stop contacting me ( now contacting me under their second trading name)
Agency have said that they have just changed name this week yet a quick check on companies house shows they have been set up since early last year.
Been told it’s too late this week as already submitted my pay to the umbrella company.

Never do the umbrella thing, HMRC are investigating these companies for tax evasion/fraud!
I went temp to perm on one contract, which at the time I didn’t know was paid through an umbrella company, and when I got my pay slip, there was £75 expenses - what expenses I don’t know, and £23 company margin - ■■?
When I tried asking about it, they walked off and ignored me, I went and got my stuff and told them to keep the job and went back to the agency.
Now on another temp to perm for a much better company doing pallet work. (Something which I haven’t done for a long time)

Smiffys trucking:
Never do the umbrella thing, HMRC are investigating these companies for tax evasion/fraud!
I went temp to perm on one contract, which at the time I didn’t know was paid through an umbrella company, and when I got my pay slip, there was £75 expenses - what expenses I don’t know, and £23 company margin - ■■?
When I tried asking about it, they walked off and ignored me, I went and got my stuff and told them to keep the job and went back to the agency.
Now on another temp to perm for a much better company doing pallet work. (Something which I haven’t done for a long time)

Don’t worry mate I never will, spoke to an accountant today and his cost are less than the umbrella company.

Go figure

Sign up to as many as you can and play them off to get a full weeks work,it’s your money and wages you have to look after all the agencies are bothered about are a day at a time not the driver who needs money,
If agency A says got work Monday to Thursday ring agency B on Wednesday you need work for friday and get a full week,agencies don’t care if your not working only they are keeping days filled they need.

As above, register with as many of them as you can google.

Being cancelled last minute is just the way agencies work - if a company cancels the shift as there is no load to move the agency cannot do much about it. So you need to have a plan b when this happens. Like others have said: immidiately ring other agencies

As already said, go see as many as you can, and take your bullcrap detector with you! :laughing:
That should narrow the list down a bit and leave you with a few that offer you work.
Then you do a few shifts for each to see what the work is like (as different agencies have different contracts) and see what you like.
With a bit of luck you can then get in with a firm and become a preferred driver for them, and not just a seat warmer! :smiley:
Then you’ll find the agency (if you’re lucky) will treat you slightly better than crap, as the firm is specifically asking for you.

Once you’ve done all that, you’ve got a decent limp! :grimacing:

I got a decent gig now BUT it’s going through an umbrella which I’m trying to sort out. I’m weighing up whether to sit tight till after January when things pick up again or take my chances. Agencies are in my opinion just modern day slavery traders with the same morals. I been told I couldn’t work for more than one and told them that was fine if they were giving me constant shifts and paying what I wanted otherwise…

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

You can work for as many agencies as you wish, given you look after your wtd and driving hours. Sounds like that agency is not a good one if it yalks like that

Well in my limited history with agency’s I have found all bar1 who were good not genuine and parasites they will mess your pay if they can get away with it.

I found the best way to get work with an agency to go for one that provides longevity with a good reputation good luck with that as nodoubt they all talk amongst themselves about who they can mess not offer work to about ectr.

I have found if you call them as soon as they open if they say is nothing then the next day turn up at the offices dressed smartly but with high vis and boots ectr they will want to get rid of you. If this dont work move on to the next one never call them you are doing them a favour the call or text will come if the agency is worth its salt. This found me a job in the end as they just want to get rid of you but I’m glad I don’t to deal with agency’s

EddieMD:
I got a decent gig now BUT it’s going through an umbrella which I’m trying to sort out. I’m weighing up whether to sit tight till after January when things pick up again or take my chances. Agencies are in my opinion just modern day slavery traders with the same morals. I been told I couldn’t work for more than one and told them that was fine if they were giving me constant shifts and paying what I wanted otherwise…

I thought agencies were required by law to offer PAYE, no matter how much they protest or try to steer you down the Umbrella route! :imp:

I thought that as well but not so many will volunteer that info. It’s a bit of a no brainer really the way they offer an extra quid to cover all extra deductions…it’s even more insulting when they tell you that you’re better off…

EddieMD:
I thought that as well but not so many will volunteer that info. It’s a bit of a no brainer really the way they offer an extra quid to cover all extra deductions…it’s even more insulting when they tell you that you’re better off…

I’d say the difference is about £2.50, so if it’s only a quid I’d be PAYE all the way…

I usually do but this contract is ongoing and not ad-hoc so took it to hopefully see me over the quiet period but I’m starting to think about it more… possibly cos I’m knackered and what money goes in doesn’t seem to tally with my bank balance

If your working paye with agencies and doing different days I.e Mon-Thur with one and Friday with another wouldn’t it wreak havoc with the tax man? Surely only one employer can have your p45 and work out your correct deductions? And you can gurantee one of the agencies will the use the good old emergency tax code and you would get walloped that way… I just find it all a bit of a mess myself

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That’s true. When my tax code came in this year I was straight on the phone to find HMRC had my income in 6 figures…lol!! It was just an estimate they assured me!! I worked for numerous agencies and the like and they thought I was getting an awful lot of money …

It’s sorted i think !!!
Going limited but without the vat fiddle, as for the agency’s !!
No longer is my word my bond !!
I could have had a full week with one company all week several times this week but did not want to break my word.
Well for my troubles, the agency’s I knocked back will not work me and the agency I gave my word to will by Friday have only given me three days work!!
Not enough, so if I get an offer of two day but I have already accept one earlier then I’m afraid the one day I earlier agreed to is a gonner.