Question for ADR experts

quick question for the ADR guys some help would be much appreciated

My ADR is about up for renewal but I took it in the UK before coming to Spain 5 years ago. It has got my UK driving licence details on but i changed my driving licence to spanish couple of years ago and was told they couldn’t change my ADR and when it expired had to resit it here in Spain.
My question is can I take it online or postal or homestudy from UK because Spanish ADR is seperate for tanks and packages and each class so works out really expensive :confused: :confused:

YOU MIGHT NEED…

I’M SURE HE WILL BE ALONG SOON :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Or you can click the picture of the ADR Truck to send him a PM (Private Message) :bulb:

welshboyinspain:

My ADR is about up for renewal but I took it in the UK before coming to Spain 5 years ago. It has got my UK driving licence details on but i changed my driving licence to spanish couple of years ago and was told they couldn’t change my ADR and when it expired had to resit it here in Spain.
My question is can I take it online or postal or homestudy from UK because Spanish ADR is seperate for tanks and packages and each class so works out really expensive :confused: :confused:

i am not an expert in this but IMO you can’t take the ADR via home study as you have to sit exams and there follow the training and i have never see any company offer such in the UK and as you are now in Spain wouldn’t you be required to have a Spanish one,

not required to have a spanish one as the uk one is european compliant it’s just the spanish charge seperately for each class and whether you want tanks and packages.
my current one expires soon but when i renewed it 5 years ago cost me 150quid but for the same level of classes and both tanks and packs in spain will be nearly 1000euros so don’t mind having spanish licence and uk adr just wondered if i needed to come to uk to sit the exams

welshboyinspain:
not required to have a spanish one as the uk one is european compliant it’s just the spanish charge seperately for each class and whether you want tanks and packages.
my current one expires soon but when i renewed it 5 years ago cost me 150quid but for the same level of classes and both tanks and packs in spain will be nearly 1000euros so don’t mind having spanish licence and uk adr just wondered if i needed to come to uk to sit the exams

Hi mate what i think is that as your driving licence is now Spanish you would have to use a Spanish trainer as when you have passed the tests there have to send the results to the driver agency to the country of your residence.

cos if i am not mistaken you driver number gos on you adr part and as your driver details are in Spain that where it would have to be taken IMO

delboytwo:

welshboyinspain:

i am not an expert in this but IMO you can’t take the ADR via home study as you have to sit exams and there follow the training and i have never see any company offer such in the UK and as you are now in Spain wouldn’t you be required to have a Spanish one,

Hi delboytwo, You’re right about ADR not having a home-study option, but it’s not because of the exams…

The operator CPC exams are taken in ‘proper’ exam conditions too, but you could do the operator CPC course by homestudy if you wish. :wink:

Different exam authorities have different rules. :grimacing:

welshboyinspain:

Hi welshboyinspain, It’s perfectly in order for you to return to the UK to do a refresher ADR course.
In order to save money if you use this option, I’d advise you to check that the UK provider you intend to use uses the ‘common characteristics’ route to the ADR exams.
We do exactly the same in the UK with separate UN Classes etc, but there is the common characteristics option.
If you do Core, packs, tanks and seven Classes, that makes 10 exams at £20 per exam - £200 in marking fees. :open_mouth:
Taking the common characteristics route that makes six exams at £20 per exam - £120 in marking fees. :smiley:
Potentially, there’s a saving of £80 to be made on the exams alone. :smiley:

Either way up, you would sit the course and take the exams just like anybody else.
However, you would fill in your Spanish driving licence details on the ADR forms and exam papers.
If you’re successful in the exams, you’ll receive a letter from SQA at your Spanish address, which you take to the Spanish licencing authorities who will then issue you with a Spanish ADR licence.

Once you take the cost of travelling back tothe UK into account, it might pay you to do the Spanish version of an ADR refresher, assuming your Spanish is up to the job of understanding the tutor.

Thanks dieseldave you know the score :smiley:

it seems that at the prices you’ve quoted would be cheaper to do the 10 exams in the uk and pay for the flights as well rather than paying the spanish price :open_mouth:

maybe you could suggest good company to contact about my ADR :question:

welshboyinspain:
Thanks dieseldave you know the score :smiley:

it seems that at the prices you’ve quoted would be cheaper to do the 10 exams in the uk and pay for the flights as well rather than paying the spanish price :open_mouth:

maybe you could suggest good company to contact about my ADR :question:

Hi welshboyinspain, At least the exams are done in English over here, so from that point of view, it might be easier for you.

The price of tuition can vary quite a bit, so that’s why I’ve only covered the exam fees above. The first thing to do now is to see whether you are eligible to sit an ADR refresher course. The rules are:

Your present ADR licence MUST have less than one year of validity remaining.
Your present ADR licence CANNOT have less than one month of validity remaining.
Effectively, this gives you an 11 month window of opportunity to refresh your ADR licence.

If you fit the above criteria, then you’re eligible to sit a refresher, which you’ll complete in just over 2.5 days including the time taken to sit the exams. Unfortunately, not all providers offer an ADR refresher course and there’s no compulsion upon them to do so. I do know of a provider who offers the refresher course, but please check above that you fit the criteria, it would be a shame if you flew all the way from Spain and found out at the last minute that you’re not eligible. :frowning:

dieseldave:
If you fit the above criteria, then you’re eligible to sit a refresher, which you’ll complete in just over 2.5 days including the time taken to sit the exams. Unfortunately, not all providers offer an ADR refresher course and there’s no compulsion upon them to do so. I do know of a provider who offers the refresher course, but please check above that you fit the criteria, it would be a shame if you flew all the way from Spain and found out at the last minute that you’re not eligible. :frowning:

If he could not get a refresher course, could he redo the initial basic course for about the same price/time etc as an alternative (and maybe get it counted towards the new driver cpc if done after Sept 10) :question: :question:

ROG:

dieseldave:

If he could not get a refresher course, could he redo the initial basic course for about the same price/time etc as an alternative (and maybe get it counted towards the new driver cpc if done after Sept 10) :question: :question:

Hi ROG, No mate, 'fraid not.
An initial ADR course is 5 days for Core, packs, tanks and seven classes.
A refresher course for the same modules is 2.5 days.

A person eligible for a refresher course may, if they wish, attend an initial course rather than try to take in the same stuff in in half the time. Exam result analysis shows that some folks are struggling to take in the info, because it has to come at such a fast pace. (Refresher speed.)

We anticipate that the idea of ‘refreshers’ in their present form (fast speed) will no longer be an option after the new Regs come in July. The idea is that there should only be one speed whether or not it’s a refresher. The above are the present rules, but as soon as I have something more concrete from SQA, I’ll be posting it on the ‘sticky’ to let everybody know. :smiley:

To answer your other question, I’ve absolutely no idea of whether a course taken in the UK would qualify towards the 35-hour requirement if the person lives in Spain and drives on a Spanish driving licence.