Question? Does size matter?

Question?

Why do American trucks have such long chassis and hitch up trailers so far back?

To illustrate:

I guess it is either to do with health and safety (the load being too close to the driver?), or more likely that in the USA they have not had to start thinking about fuel economy or environmental impact yet.

Maybe in about 50 years when they eventually catch up with us they will end up driving with close coupled trailers much like the europeans do.

They are still use to working with horse and carts. You only have to look at the vehicles they build.

Hell it wasn’t long ago that they put front brakes on the units.

Pat Hasler will be along soon to explain, you know how much he hates American trucks :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe their drivers are larger after all those hamburgers, so need the extra room to get on the catwalk :laughing:

IT is to do with axle weights, one of the members in the USA will proberly
come here later and explainabout the various states haveing different
weights for different lengths of vehicle and trailer,

Speaking of American trucks Tramper, how’s yours? Have you used it for any real work yet?

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys. I had sort of thought it might be due to axle weights, but the gaps seem quite extreme for it just to related to that. Like you said, there will probably be someone from the other side of the pond on soon who knows the definative answer.
As for my rig, yes I have been out working with it, and boy is it hard work! The ride quality is awful, there is no syncrhomesh on any gear, the clutch being operated by a cable the size of the one used to tie up the QE2, does nothing for my slender legs :laughing: , and with twin stacks and little in the way of sound deadening, its rather an assault on the ears. However, the grin it puts on my face every time I see it in the yard, let alone actually drive it, or see the look on someones face as I rev the nuts out of it coming down the box, makes all the negatives pale into insignificance. I have had it painted, but have been too lazy to take pics yet, but now it looks like this one, only this is a Kenworth K100 and mines a Peterbilt 352…

I’m taking it to Truckfest south west this weekend, along with the rest of the fleet, so if anyone else is going, come and say hello.

dafdave
I WONDER IF THEY HAVE ANY RESTRICTIONS ON OVERALL LENGTH AS IN THE UK.

do you drive ya yank truck around fairford area i always see a white one pulling a white trailor fridge one think

Tramper:
I’m taking it to Truckfest south west this weekend, along with the rest of the fleet, so if anyone else is going, come and say hello.

Lets hope someone gets some photos there then and posts them on here…

Paul

repton:
[
Lets hope someone gets some photos there then and posts them on here…

Paul

:wink: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

stvme2519:
do you drive ya yank truck around fairford area i always see a white one pulling a white trailor fridge one think

I go all over the place, but never pull a fridge, mostly step frame box trailers or tautliners. I’m quite busy tomorrow getting stuff ready for the bunfight, but I promise I’ll try to get some pics done, if not it looks as if Dennis might :smiley: .

its because it makes the ride smoother believe it or not .theres a custom truck in the states called ‘got wheelbase’ and that must be 25 foot bumper to bumper :open_mouth:

this truck is also known as an outlaw truck its the new craze as little bling as poss its supposed to not draw attention to it :open_mouth: :laughing:

:smiley: Understated, but still pretty awesome! Imagine the work involved keeping it clean. I never thought aboutthe wheelbase / ride quality issue. The awful ride quality on mine is due to the front axle being so far forward that the front springs are very short on the front end, but on a conventional I would have thought this would not be the case.

As promised, here are the 1st pictures of the Pete’s new paint job

Whadya rekon?

Carl:
its supposed to not draw attention to it :open_mouth: :laughing:

it didn’t work :laughing:

Tramper:
As promised, here are the 1st pictures of the Pete’s new paint job
[
Whadya rekon?

well, I’m not really a fan of american trucks but that looks nice :smiley:

have to have look at it in RL tomorrow :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

It’s looking pretty good, you must have a sore arm from all that polishing!

Does the blue airline ever get used, and if so what exactly does it do? I remember from my theory test that it’s the “auxiliary” line but although I’ve seen plenty of trailers with a connection for it I’ve yet to get anywhere near a unit with a blue line.

Paul

my old erf’s got a blue 'n but i’ve never used it.