Question - DAF CF75 Chassis

Hi all,

Wondered if any of you could help me. I currently drive a bulk blower animal feed lorry, and I intend to put an old tipping bulk blower body I already have onto a 2005 DAF CF75 310 6x4. The chassis and cab I found used to be a cement mixer, and the chassis steel to me looks pretty light compared to the old lorry the body came off (1995 Scania 93M), at a guess it looks about 5-6mm thick. Now my question is, would a DAF CF75 tipper have a heavier chassis than a non-tipper, or are they all the same?

Cheers
George

if the chassis cab youve found came from a mixer ther then its strong enough to cope with a tipper, you might find it slightly longer or shorter though either way its not to hard to stretch or shorten a chassis

most mixers are on a construction chassis, but your only issues may be the length of the chassis or the width of the bulk bodys floor frame to the chassis , so you may need a new subframe built to match them up

Cheers folks, thats reassuring to hear. The rear overhang of the chassis is longer than the old donor lorry, so thats no problem trimming down, plus the overall width will match the body rails perfectly. My only thought was of the strength around the main pivot at the back end with such light steel. Although we will be plating that area out to spread the weight out when tipping.

gwmckay:
Cheers folks, thats reassuring to hear. The rear overhang of the chassis is longer than the old donor lorry, so thats no problem trimming down, plus the overall width will match the body rails perfectly. My only thought was of the strength around the main pivot at the back end with such light steel. Although we will be plating that area out to spread the weight out when tipping.

Hi gwmckay
Is it like this one,done by Pridon from Wisbech they put
a strengthend crossmember at the rear of chassis and
still going strong with Dugdale Nutrition of Clitheroe Lancs.

Cheers Malc.

Dafs did at one time have a problem of the chassis cracking on 6w tippers,it was put down to the body builders using the rubber block to sit the body on,they all seemed to start using Keruing for runners afterwards.

malc step:

gwmckay:

Hi gwmckay
Is it like this one,done by Pridon from Wisbech they put
a strengthend crossmember at the rear of chassis and
still going strong with Dugdale Nutrition of Clitheroe Lancs.

Cheers Malc.

Yeah thats exactly what ours will (hopefully) end up like, it will definitely need some strengthening round the rear, particularly because there are 5 compartments in the body, so it could be tipped up and down 5 times on a single load, so the pivot area will take some abuse.

pursy:
Dafs did at one time have a problem of the chassis cracking on 6w tippers,it was put down to the body builders using the rubber block to sit the body on,they all seemed to start using Keruing for runners afterwards.

I have an 8 wheeler Scania 4 series which cracked the chassis right between the rear axles. We put it down to the same thing to be honest, seemed as though some of the rubber blocks had worn out and all the weight was then bearing down on the pivot. That combined with bumps on the road didnt do her any favours! All welded and plated and wooden runners put in about 2 years ago and so far (touch wood) no more problems.

I hope your Daf doesnt have the annoying creaks that our 6wheelers do. They are fairly light so you should get a fairly good payload. Weve replaced the blocks on our wagons that are a similar age as yours; my Foden used to rattle like mad…

Muckaway:
I hope your Daf doesnt have the annoying creaks that our 6wheelers do. They are fairly light so you should get a fairly good payload. Weve replaced the blocks on our wagons that are a similar age as yours; my Foden used to rattle like mad…

I was hoping she would be light, I find it bizarre how lorries have become so heavy over the space of 10 ish years. My dads old 1995 ERF was about 10 tons UL, meaning a payload of 16 tons. I looked at a 2007 MAN 6x4 today with a bulk blower body which weighed 12.5 tons UL, thats only half a ton less than my 8x4! Losing out on 2.5 tons for every load just wasnt worth considering, that would be thousands per year!!

rather have 3 than 5 ! compartments ? are you ok for axle loading ? not had any problems with stress around the pivot on any of our 57 reg 8wheeler CF’s , but i have known one to tear it’s self off on an L plate 75 due to chassis strength, luckily the driver was quick enough to get out of the way when it happened while delivering 14T of wheat

i don’t see many 6wheeler blowers about now usually gone down the 8wheel rear steer/lift route

MolePower:
rather have 3 than 5 ! compartments ? are you ok for axle loading ? not had any problems with stress around the pivot on any of our 57 reg 8wheeler CF’s , but i have known one to tear it’s self off on an L plate 75 due to chassis strength, luckily the driver was quick enough to get out of the way when it happened while delivering 14T of wheat

i don’t see many 6wheeler blowers about now usually gone down the 8wheel rear steer/lift route

Yeah I think we should be fine for axle load, gotta look at it in a bit more detail but it looks ok so far. I would prefer to have another 8wheeler on the road but we still get lots of deliveries asking specifically for 6wheeler only. In fact I drive the only 8wheeler in the entire fleet from the mill we load at, I’d guess 2/3 are artic and 1/3 6wheeler.

What’s the reasoning behind customers asking for six-wheelers only?

deancross4c:

Our deliveries are pretty much all to farms, and sometimes you have to tip in quite low sheds, where the body only just squeezes under the door heads. Other yards are just very tight for turning and bigger lorries just can’t manoeuvre. My dad was even asked to reach a farm by driving through 2 fields while the farmer concreted his lane, no stone path or anything to drive on!

gwmckay:

deancross4c:

Our deliveries are pretty much all to farms, and sometimes you have to tip in quite low sheds, where the body only just squeezes under the door heads. Other yards are just very tight for turning and bigger lorries just can’t manoeuvre. My dad was even asked to reach a farm by driving through 2 fields while the farmer concreted his lane, no stone path or anything to drive on!

The trouble with 6wheelers is when you do a 10ton load, often the builders expect it on a 4wheeler…cue shunting about. On the other hand many muck jobs wont have 6wheelers as the price is almost the same as an 8. Although there isnt much difference in payload beyween mine and our new 8ws anyway…

Here you all have to ponder what all configurations stands for.

daf.com/SiteCollectionDocume … _HQ-GB.pdf

Thank You
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

Would an 8x2 be any good? Loads of them round here (usually Scanias) running on the milk, supposed to give a better turning circle than a 6x4 and obvious increase in payload. There are still a few 6’s knocking about though, I guess there are some places a 8 won’t go no matter how many axles are steering!

gwmckay:

What he said. We’ve only got one 6-wheeler bulker now, which generally goes to the farms which have a combination of the two above. 8x2 does OK for some but you often need the double drive simply to get up to the farm, especially round Brecon and Builth Wells areas.

Been out on an 8x4 bulker meself today, surprising how ■■■■■■■■■■ it feels after being used to the 6-wheeler curtainsider.

FH13:
Here you all have to ponder what all configurations stands for.

daf.com/SiteCollectionDocume … _HQ-GB.pdf

Thank You
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

Thanks for that link, it would suggest that there is only one 6x4 chassis variation

Two questions regarding the 8x2 setup;
1: What configuration is this, one steer axle and then three “rear” axles (used to be a Foden mixer like this at Hanson, Oxford)

2: What MGW do they run at? I’ve suggested different ideas to our TM and Workshop Manager (to no avail yet :unamused: ) regarding 6 and 8x2 vehicles…