Question: can you come and go from agencies?

I’ll explain my situation.
I’m currently doing a lot of volunteer work up and down the country and as such a permanent job isn’t really in my best interest, as such I’m thinking of joining some agencies, I’ve never worked for any before so I’ve got a few questions I’m hoping some of you can help me out with.

1 could I join an agency just to work a few days for a couple of weeks and then leave?
2 if I was to leave would the agency take me back when I came back to the area? For example if I worked at an agency in Newcastle for a couple of weeks but then had to go down to London for a month would they have me back at the agency a few months later?
3 do agency’s actually offer jobs for a few days at a time? Or are they more looking for someone who is willing to work 5 days a week?

I know some people will probably ask questions regarding my hours volunteering and the likes but I’ve been driving for years and know not to go over my hours or skip on jotting them down.
I have 7 years driving class 1 just as a bit of extra info, anyways thanks for reading

Yes…

You can come and go from agencies.

That’s pretty much the very nature of what they do. Look at their ads and it’s all ‘any shift, nights days mids, class 1 to van drivers’. Now a great many of them have only a few main contracts but if you specify to them exactly how you want to work, it’s in their interests to work with you. A great many of them will promise you riches beyond your wildest dreams and never call you again. It depends where you are, what you’re prepared to do and how reliable you are.

I’m reasonably confident I could go to any of my previous agencies from years ago and get a drive without too much trouble.

Yes, agencies are all about matching available staff to the work they have and vice versa. That’s the whole point of agencies.

I only work between September and March and then I go away travelling for the Summer, another driver on my agency only works every second week, there are other drivers who are only available for two or three days a week, agencies basically work on a day-to-day basis and if they need a driver tomorrow and you are available tomorrow and nobody else is, then it’s your bum on the seat.

It helps to set your stall out from the get-go and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Of course, when they are busy and can’t find anyone else then they will phone you as a last resort and offer you work you have specifically told them you don’t want to do, but turning it down won’t impact on future chances. When they are quiet they will drop you like a hot potato.

In your position, generally the bigger the agency the more work they will have and the better their chances of matching you to something.

Thanks for the quick reply’s lads very helpful

solidbanjo:
I’ll explain my situation.
I’m currently doing a lot of volunteer work up and down the country and as such a permanent job isn’t really in my best interest, as such I’m thinking of joining some agencies, I’ve never worked for any before so I’ve got a few questions I’m hoping some of you can help me out with.

1 could I join an agency just to work a few days for a couple of weeks and then leave?
2 if I was to leave would the agency take me back when I came back to the area? For example if I worked at an agency in Newcastle for a couple of weeks but then had to go down to London for a month would they have me back at the agency a few months later?
3 do agency’s actually offer jobs for a few days at a time? Or are they more looking for someone who is willing to work 5 days a week?

I know some people will probably ask questions regarding my hours volunteering and the likes but I’ve been driving for years and know not to go over my hours or skip on jotting them down.
I have 7 years driving class 1 just as a bit of extra info, anyways thanks for reading

I presume you will be PAYE?

Just one thing to bear in mind is if you work across a number of agencies i.e. for more than one employer (e.g an agency) your personal allowance will be allocated to that employer i.e. agency. Now if you work for a few days with one then a few days with another you’ll need to decide with which the personal allowance lies as your second employer will tax you at BR basic rate. Now you can ask the tax office to split the allowance but sadly PAYE is not designed for multiple jobs with many employers.

What might help is going to a few key agencies with national coverage then at least if you went with say Pertemps in Newcastle then a Pertemps branch in London are at least the same company. However, some agencies operate on an individual office basis i.e. as separate companies, so I’d ask first if I were you otherwise you’ll get clobbered in tax which will take ages to get back and cause a lot of frustration in a low paid industry.

solidbanjo:

Where I’m at on the contract I’m on I’m asked when I’m available for the following week and work is offered on a daily basis. There’s agency drivers I know who are teachers and do it in the holidays, there’s a few I know are self employed doing non-lorry driving stuff and do it from time to time when it’s quiet. None of what you’re worried about is a problem however be aware that in the Jan-March quiet period you’ll be further down the list of people they’ll ring as they’ll try to keep those who work pretty much full time with them busy first.