Question about weights

Hi,
When I eventually get my C+E I will probably end up doing container work.
As a lot of boxes are sealed, how does the driver know the how it is loaded and therefore not exceeding axle or gross weight limits?
I know at the docks here boxes come in that can be 10t over what the paperwork says it is.
The driver is responsible for any weight issues aren’t they?

Deefer:
Hi,
As a lot of boxes are sealed, how does the driver know the how it is loaded and therefore not exceeding axle or gross weight limits?
I know at the docks here boxes come in that can be 10t over what the paperwork says it is.

You drive the lorry over a weighbridge, these are available at most ports.

Although overloading is an absolute offence, if you can show you were going to a public weighbridge than you have some defence. It is what you do after passing the weighbridge that decides if you are a criminal

Wheel Nut:

Deefer:
Hi,

You drive the lorry over a weighbridge, these are available at most ports.

Although overloading is an absolute offence, if you can show you were going to a public weighbridge than you have some defence. It is what you do after passing the weighbridge that decides if you are a criminal

Silly question but if you drive to a weighbridge, can you drive back to the port after the weighbridge if over loaded? Bearing in mind you’re in the knowledge that it’s overweight. I’m guessing yes you can drive back though…

Not much else you can do!

I don’t think grangemouth has a weighbridge though…

Mind you, the bloody scanners have been off for the past 2 weeks so who knows how many illegal immigrants have emmerged!

In Felixstowe there in apparently no public.weighbridge any more, and it is only possible to check weight from inside the docks.

felixstowechamber.co.uk/news/279.htm

I don’t believe it is allowed to drive onto the dock property without correct paperwork.
Does this mean that drivers are relying on shunters to check weights correctly?