Question About Tramping

Hi All

Have had my Class 2 for five years now and am thinking of going in for the C and E.

My question is can anybody please describe a Tramping job in Britian …not just in terms of working late and sleeping in the cab …but a typical Trampers’ job and how it makes it impossible to return home for days on end. And how many hours should you work.

I have done one Tramping job once but was only away from home for a day and I have read some tramping jobs mean you stay away from home for days. Also how should you calculate your hourly rate on a tramping job?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Very grateful to anybody who knows

Vincee

Being away from Home one day is not tramping.
(Example)
Right you live in Lanky Shire and set off on Monday with a trailer loaded for the south coast with 5 drops

Monday. Home to Bristol, Exeter Plymouth. Too late to tip so you have a night out.

Tuesday. Tip Plymouth, Yeovil and Salisbury. Load is not ready so you have another night out in Winchester.

Wednesday. Load and go to Glasgow. You can park near your house in Lanky Shire but that is known as a fiddle :stuck_out_tongue:

Thursday. your secret parking place near the house to Glasgow and tip. N/O Grangemouth.

Friday. Grangemouth to Teesport and swap trailers. run to Thirsk N/O

Saturday. Tip Hull, and pick up for Liverpool for Monday. Go back to yard and wash off.

This can carry on for as many weeks as your boss thinks and if you run to Europe you will not be back at the weekend.

Also if he finds out about your secret parking place you will never be routed past home ever again :stuck_out_tongue:

vincee:
Have had my Class 2 for five years now and am thinking of going in for the C and E.

I’d like to wish you good luck with that. There’s plenty of threads to read on that subject…

vincee:
My question is can anybody please describe a Tramping job in Britian …not just in terms of working late and sleeping in the cab …but a typical Trampers’ job and how it makes it impossible to return home for days on end.

There isn’t really a typical tramping job, but here goes: you might start in your yeard with a loaded vehicle, and set off late Sun / early Mon. You do drops in numerous towns around the country, and you run out of driving time each day, so you park up. You might have one or more collections to make, then you return to the yard Fri / Sat.

Or you do full loads from one town to another, then reloading for somewhere else. Then repeat that without returning to base for several days. There’s no set way of doing it, each firm does things their own way. That’s the non-technical explanation :wink:

vincee:
And how many hours should you work.

Normal tachograph Regs apply to tramping as they do to day-work. There’s plenty of threads in the PDF and H&S forums on drivers’ hours.
TIP: look for posts by Coffeeholic and Tachograph, they certainly know their stuff.
Alternatively, once you’ve read-up, you can post a question that you feel hasn’t been addressed.

vincee:
I have done one Tramping job once but was only away from home for a day

That wouldn’t be tramping as I understand it :wink:

vincee:
Also how should you calculate your hourly rate on a tramping job?

You boss will do that for you. Usually, you work for their hourly rate + overtime (if they pay it) + night out money.

vincee:
Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

No excusing necessary mate.
He who doesn’t ask, doesn’t get to know. :wink:
It doesn’t matter who we are, we ALL had a first day on the job. :wink:

vincee:
Very grateful to anybody who knows

Vincee

You’ll get plenty of answers on this one vincee. :wink:
I’m sure the guys will give you a number of variations with explanations. There’s also those on here, including me, that do/did tramping in Europe for several weeks at a time. Think of it as above, but with an occasional boat or train ride at the boss’ expense thrown in for good measure :sunglasses:

Bloody 'ell, Wheel Nut has beaten me to this post as well :wink:

Thanks for these very helpful posts. It really has explained a lot .

Cheers everybody :smiley:

dieseldave:

Type faster :wink: :laughing:

ROG:

dieseldave:

Im on holiday and got 2 computers running.

Trucknet on one and ■■■■ on the other :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

dieseldave:

Dont get them mixed up :blush: :wink: :laughing: Hmmm… could make things interesting on here though :laughing:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

dieseldave:

Dont get them mixed up :blush: :wink: :laughing: Hmmm… could make things interesting on here though :laughing:

I got some interesting sites when I typed Tramp on the wrong keyboard :smiley: