Question about medical

Just renewing my license for first time having been driving trucks for five years.

My understanding is that my medical should not need done again until 45yo. However the form says a medical report is required if one or more of the following applies:

• Your lorry entitlement has expired or has 56 days or less to run when we receive your application.

Maybe I’m being stupid but this sounds like I do need one as license expires on 20th Feb.

What age are you currently?

I’m 42

I’m thinking it may be their obtuse wording. It asks you to tick your entitlement wanting renewed, which suggests it’s about to expire.

But actually it’s not my entitlement but just the photo card I’m renewing. License says my category expires in 2026.

Yeah that makes sense, I thought you may be fast approaching 45 and it was them preempting it, but obviously not. I’m sure that someone with more current knowledge than I will be along shortly.

FWIW I’d send it back without the medical, but that’s got to be your decision.

"

• Your lorry entitlement has expired"
    As you say, it doesn’t until 2026, so it’s just a photo required.

If it’s just photo renewal you shouldn’t require a medical. As your only 42 your next medical will probably still be when you turn 45. Mine got pushed to 48 as my renewal was in X amount of time before I turned 45. There are different rules for drivers hard under 45 and aged over 45.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

gov.uk/renew-lorry-bus-coach-licence

Yep send licence off if you have a current passport, if you have not got a current passport then do as I did and pay the extra fee quid at a post office to take the photo and submit it all electronically as it will come back quicker than way. The current photo has to be less than 10 years ago for it to be valid and useable.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

You don’t need a medical, but you still need to declare you are medically fit I believe.

You are under 45 and not within a couple of months of 45 either. You fill the form in saying you are fit and healthy and ready to go and you get a five year licence. You won’t need a medical until you are 47 if you are 42 now. That is what I understand anyway.

I would expect your category expiry to be updated accordingly, to 2028 I would think. You could post to let us know if that is right when it arrives.

I think they let you know if a photo is required, as this only needs to be done every 10 years I think.

If you had been turning 45 in March or something, then you would have fallen in with the over 45s and needed a medical.

remember to photocopy both sides of your licence and send it recorded delivery when your dealing with dvla, things do get lost and mistakes are made by them

When did you pass your HGV test? If it was within the past five years then you need a self-declaration medical (DVLA will send the form out). This was brought in 2013, so everyone who passed their HGV test after that date has an HGV licence that expires after five years, even when they’re under 45.

Tailschwing:
I
But actually it’s not my entitlement but just the photo card I’m renewing. License says my category expires in 2026.

2026 is when you need to get your medical done. The photo expiring doesn’t matter. Some have found that when renewing their licence because the photo is out of date that their category expiry is put forward. Mine was one of those so I ended up not needing to have my first medical til 49.