Question about maximum driving hours

I know the maximum hours you can drive in a week is 56, and the next week it’s 34 (if that’s right?), or on average 45 hours a week. Is that just driving hours? I mean, does that include time on duty or is time on duty added on top?

For instance, if I got to work, spent 2 hours in he yard, drove for 4.5 hours, had 45 minutes and then drove for a further 4.5 hours, and then spent 2 hours in the yard when I got back, is that legal?

What’s YOUR average hourly day?

Thanks

Alun

Tarrman:
I know the maximum hours you can drive in a week is 56, and the next week it’s 34 (if that’s right?), or on average 45 hours a week. Is that just driving hours? I mean, does that include time on duty or is time on duty added on top?

For instance, if I got to work, spent 2 hours in he yard, drove for 4.5 hours, had 45 minutes and then drove for a further 4.5 hours, and then spent 2 hours in the yard when I got back, is that legal?

What’s YOUR average hourly day?

Thanks

Alun

90 hours per fortnight is purely driving, not loading, sleeping or waiting.

However you “Worked” 2 hours and then drove 4.5 hours so you should have taken a 15 minute break plus 30 minutes before reaching 6 hours driving and other work. If you take a part of the first 2 hours as POA then that obviously would not apply.

You now have the problem where you have worked 6.5 hours again so would need another 15m before 6 hours. The easy answer to this is to split your first driving break 15 + 30 and then you would need another 45 after your second driving period, because you cannot drive 4.5hours and carry on working. If you only drove 4.25 then you could do that.

4.5 + 4.5 + 4 = 13. on top of your breaks would prevent you doing this every day as you could not get that and 11 hours rest into a 24 hour period :laughing:

Ah right that kind of makes sense, guess I need to do more revision on drivers hours and tacho modes!

Remember, its not only your drivers hours you must take into account - but also the Working Time Directive (WDT) as well.

I’ll have to read up more on the WTD and drivers hours, it still a little confusing for me at the minute!

This might be of help

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71511

Also

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71510

Excellent thank you, saved to kindle and bookmarked.

Tarrman:
Excellent thank you, saved to kindle and bookmarked.

Np here to help if we can but a good luck round the site when you get the chance & have time to read some of the stuff

Then if in doubt please ask as the only stupid question is the 1 you dont ask