Question about invoicing

hi , as some of you know iv started multi-drop driving for an agency , and the guy said i need to invoice him for my work and he will pay me.
how do i get an invoice? he said i should be able to find some online and print them off… iv no idea what im looking for i did a search and there seems to be all sorts… wonder if any1 could help me it would be very helpful!

If you have MS Office there should be a template invoice, use that…

Another question about invoicing, well VAT really.

A UK customer with a depot in Germany ordered 540 boxes of made up kits in December. The kits were made up but the transport company did not collect them, they came for them 2 hours early and the parcels were not quite ready. New years eve, the driver left them behind.

The computer system generates an invoice using the transport reference which has not yet been issued.

The problem is the 2.5% VAT increase, so how can the invoice be raised after the holidays using the 17.5% rate.

This is a question that is worrying my mate and is worried about getting a bollocking when they realise the load is still sat on pallets in a bonded warehouse.

there is a list of these

• Bids and quotes
  • Bills of sale
  • Estimates
  • Finance charges
  • Packing slips
  • Purchase and sales orders
  • Sales invoices
  • Service invoices
  • Work orders

which would it be that i need?
thanks

Take a piece of paper,add your;e details and any contract refs etc,write “invioce” at the top (this is for his information,you allready know what it is) list your’e charges and present it to him. That in essence is an invoice

Wheel Nut:

A UK customer with a depot in Germany ordered 540 boxes of made up kits in December. The kits were made up but the transport company did not collect them, they came for them 2 hours early and the parcels were not quite ready. New years eve, the driver left them behind.

The computer system generates an invoice using the transport reference which has not yet been issued.

The problem is the 2.5% VAT increase, so how can the invoice be raised after the holidays using the 17.5% rate.

This is a question that is worrying my mate and is worried about getting a bollocking when they realise the load is still sat on pallets in a bonded warehouse.

This is way,way out of driver territory :confused: :confused:

Dunno then?:

Wheel Nut:

This is way,way out of driver territory :confused: :confused:

Probably but nevertheless caused by a driver who thought going to the pub was more important then waiting :wink: The collection was booked for 1500, the driver arrived at 1130 and the load was ready at 1400. Questions to be asked tomorrow I think.

Here you go, take a look at section 3 amd the annex for the transitional period. You still be able to be invoiced at 17.5% if the supplier cooperates. (assuming I’ve understood the problem correctly)

hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/ … idance.pdf

Joe89:
hi , as some of you know iv started multi-drop driving for an agency , and the guy said i need to invoice him for my work and he will pay me.
how do i get an invoice? he said i should be able to find some online and print them off… iv no idea what im looking for i did a search and there seems to be all sorts… wonder if any1 could help me it would be very helpful!

Keep it simple, your details as a header, company your invoicing beneath that on the right. beneath that date and your reference for the invoice ie 001 and if you need a reference for them ie Mr transport manager or Ms bith in HR. then in the main section; date, job ref, rate, subtotal and the details in colums underneath
when your done with the details do a total
at the bottom who to pay ie make all cheques payable to… or name sort code account number

try and keep fine detail out of it because it can get confusing,it can also give them an opportunity to ■■■■ around and not pay you if you’ve done so on the others and not on a particular one. Lay it out and make everything clear to read especially the amount you want for the work.

Joe89:

Are you an owner driver with your own van?

If you are just driving his vans you should be on PAYE, if not, and he’s paying cash in hand, TELL HIM how much you want but don’t give him anything in writing, and expect to get caught at some time in the future anyway!

caz:

Joe89:

Keep it simple, your details as a header, company your invoicing beneath that on the right. beneath that date and your reference for the invoice ie 001 and if you need a reference for them ie Mr transport manager or Ms bith in HR. then in the main section; date, job ref, rate, subtotal and the details in colums underneath
when your done with the details do a total
at the bottom who to pay ie make all cheques payable to… or name sort code account number

try and keep fine detail out of it because it can get confusing,it can also give them an opportunity to ■■■■ around and not pay you if you’ve done so on the others and not on a particular one. Lay it out and make everything clear to read especially the amount you want for the work.

You could buy an duplicate invoice book from WH Smith or Staples which will have everything you need ready printed for you to fill in the details and will produce a top copy to give the agency and a duplicate which remains in the invoice book. You then have a book full of invoices ready for working out your income at the end of the tax year. Sometimes the old ways are the easiest.

Big Jon’s dad:
You could buy an duplicate invoice book from WH Smith or Staples which will have everything you need ready printed for you to fill in the details and will produce a top copy to give the agency and a duplicate which remains in the invoice book. You then have a book full of invoices ready for working out your income at the end of the tax year. Sometimes the old ways are the easiest.

I wish I’d thought of that before I went self-employed :blush:

Micky if the op is self-employed then he then needs to invoice the agency he also needs to register himself as self-employed and most likely needs to set up a limited company unless he driving is only part of his total business activities

For an invoice you needs your name and address also his on the paper also what you are invoicing for and the total amounts and the terms of payment ie how long he has to pay you personally I never work more than a week in hand

By doing this you alone are responsible for any ni payments and paying your own tax and don’t forget to let HMRC know what you are doing and get a good accountant these fees also have to be taken in to account when knowing how much you are going to charge him

Wheel Nut:
Probably but nevertheless caused by a driver who thought going to the pub was more important then waiting :wink: The collection was booked for 1500, the driver arrived at 1130 and the load was ready at 1400. Questions to be asked tomorrow I think.

so the driver was told the collection was due to be picked up at 1500 and he must have agreed, so the driver then arrived at 1130 and thought " stuff this " and drove off and the collection was ready 1 hour earlier than planned. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

looks like the " said " driver could be out of a job.

pm sent to the op.

Ken.

hi guys,
well i got the job because my friend works there , had a word with the agency guy at the depot and he said yea ok ill give him some work.
so i came in , let the company take a picture and i had to sign something for driving there vans ( they also checked my license)
anyway the agency guy then said, right ill pay you by the day , i said what about tax and he just said , u wont have to pay it for the first couple months , by then you should be employed properly with the company if all goes well. if it doesnt then you will have to register as self employed…
does that sound a little dodgy?

oh and im not an owner driver , i just turn up , and work like all the others except the agency guy pays me and i dont have a uniform , iv not actually been paid yet so i dont know how its going to work , but they owe me 3 days wages at the moment

Big Jon’s dad:
Here you go, take a look at section 3 amd the annex for the transitional period. You still be able to be invoiced at 17.5% if the supplier cooperates. (assuming I’ve understood the problem correctly)

hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/ … idance.pdf

That is exactly what I am looking for, cheers BJD :slight_smile:

It is just a glitch in the invoicing system really and as I mentioned, the final goods packing list generates the invoice. DPD left the parcels sat on the floor so the VAT change caught out the temporary packing room staff.

jessicas dad:

Wheel Nut:

so the driver was told the collection was due to be picked up at 1500 and he must have agreed, so the driver then arrived at 1130 and thought " stuff this " and drove off and the collection was ready 1 hour earlier than planned. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

looks like the " said " driver could be out of a job.

It could be, but the office was closed on that day too so no one could get hold of the sales department. My mate is ■■■■■■■■ himself because he took a weeks holiday and feels responsible for his department.

I think at the end of the day it will be sorted. I am just trying to stop him whittering on :laughing:

Joe89:
there is a list of these

• Bids and quotes
  • Bills of sale
  • Estimates
  • Finance charges
  • Packing slips
  • Purchase and sales orders
  • Sales invoices
  • Service invoices
  • Work orders

which would it be that i need?
thanks

sales invoice, as your providing a service and charging him for it. if your not vat registered just put £0.00 in the vat coloum

Joe89:
hi guys,
well i got the job because my friend works there , had a word with the agency guy at the depot and he said yea ok ill give him some work.
so i came in , let the company take a picture and i had to sign something for driving there vans ( they also checked my license)
anyway the agency guy then said, right ill pay you by the day , i said what about tax and he just said , u wont have to pay it for the first couple months , by then you should be employed properly with the company if all goes well. if it doesnt then you will have to register as self employed…
does that sound a little dodgy?

oh and im not an owner driver , i just turn up , and work like all the others except the agency guy pays me and i dont have a uniform , iv not actually been paid yet so i dont know how its going to work , but they owe me 3 days wages at the moment

If you drive their vans you will be best on PAYE until you suss it out.

See my earlier point about cash in hand (which was very much tongue in cheek, ie don’t do it)