Question about 5th wheel with adjustable height

…because that’s what the company I work at will get next.

Tomorrow we’ll go pick up a new Actros Lowliner tractor. If this term isn’t common for you I’ll try to explain. By this I mean a tractor for pulling so called Megatrailers (that’s how we call them here) that have an inside height of about 3 meters, so the tractor is built very low to stay legal with the overall height limit of 4 meters (more or less legal at least :wink: ).

OK, so now this new tractor will be equipped with an adjustable 5th wheel, which you can adjust in height to pull a “normal” trailer as well. Does any of you have any experience with this type of eqipment? Or is this very unusual where you are? My worries are about possible weight limitations in the first place. Is it easy to handle?

Comments welcome!

Travel, do you mean its running on Low Profile Tyres ■■ That’s the usual way of making a Unit run low and why you need a raisable fifth wheel to pull normal tyred trailers.

I was shown how to raise one of those type of fifth wheels last year, but never had to use it in the end. If I remember rightly, its air operated.

No different to a normal one except they are a bit lower to the ground…the chassis is lower…the tyres are normally low profile…weight limits are not a problem as they have been type approved and the continentals have been using them for years…especially westerman…so dont worry…and a normal trailer can be picked up by raising the fifth wheel…but remember to raise the fifth wheel first or you will end up with a nasty headache…good luck
have a nice day

Sealane had a few tractor units kitted out the same way. You could raise the 5th wheel to pull regular height trailers but I cant remember how this was done. It may have had a small hydraulic ram to do this but I’m not 100% sure. I do remember however, one of the drivers telling me that the trailer seemed to ‘roll’ a lot more on roundabouts and sharp bends.

A place i used to work had some FHs kitted up for this, Never used one myself but couple got rolled when the 5th wheel was raised for standard trailers. The regulars always said watch the bends. Weight and stuff no problem. Good luck !

but remember to raise the fifth wheel first or you will end up with a nasty headache…good luck

Thankfully I don’t have to do it myself, as I am the “officeboy” :wink: , but I wanted some comments to be prepared and not to look “dumb” to my drivers.

one of the drivers telling me that the trailer seemed to ‘roll’ a lot more on roundabouts and sharp bends.

The regulars always said watch the bends

Well, that’s more or less what I expected myself.

Thank you for your replies and have a nice weekend :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Dual-height fifth wheel systems
This fully pneumatic dual-height fifth wheel system makes it possible for both mega trailers and conventional trailers to be used in conjunction with low-deck tractor units
Jost website

they are very easy to use, there is normally a safety feature - some sort of lever that you have to pull before you can raise or lower the fifth wheel, sometimes a button you push at the same time as pulling the lever etc.
they raise and lower very quickly so you are not hanging about pulling levers for several minutes etc.
the smaller wheels often result in less traction if the roads are wet or slippy so advise your driver/s to take care in bad conditions, if this is a standard truck that your company has just had changed over then you may find that you will have to have the tacho recalibrated and its always a good idea to take a car out along with the solo truck to assess the speed yourselves.
once the driver has been out a few times with the truck and with the fifth wheel raised he wont even realise or remember which he has on.

TravelAgent:
OK, so now this new tractor will be equipped with an adjustable 5th wheel, which you can adjust in height to pull a “normal” trailer as well. Does any of you have any experience with this type of eqipment? Or is this very unusual where you are? My worries are about possible weight limitations in the first place. Is it easy to handle?

Comments welcome!

All of Geoposts Merc Actrosses have them.

Very easy to use. On the ones I’ve used there are two levers. One is a lock/unlock lever and the other is an up/down lever. You hold the locking lever in the unlock position and then move the up/down lever in the direction you want until the fifth wheel stops moving then release the up/down lever and then the locking lever. Observe the horizontal piston at the bottom front of the fifth wheel carriage to make sure it extends and locks into place. If it doesn’t quite lock in, move the up/down lever a bit with the locking lever untouched (lock position) to help the locks engage.

NEVER EVER raise or lower the fifth wheel with a trailer on, you’ll knacker the rams.

One more time thanks for your replies.

We already have such a “low” truck but without an adjustable fifth wheel. This new one is the first with such a device. I’ll report here if something interesting happens.

Cheers,

make sure you keep the pivot points well greased ,I had one seize up on a 2 year old fh ,took hours too free off,this one had two air rams too raise and lower it ,and two levers in one of the lockers.

I’ll report here if something interesting happens.

Well, it’s as bit more than 10.000 kms now and we are quite happy. No problems so far. 80 % of the time the dedicated “low” taut/megatrailer is on but we also had 20’ and 40’ container skellys on (and heavy ones!) and no problems. The driver is happy with his vehicle as are we and the customers as we are way more flexible and can make better utilisation of the equipment and/or the driver’s available hours.

Cheers,