Query regarding Weekley rest compo to daily rest

As I understand it and by reading posts here too… I Had 41 hours rest last weekend so I am owing the vosa rest back 4 hours (to make it 45).

Todays prior to starting work as I had a rota’d day off I will be on break for 38.5 hours so that break of min 9 hours inc me owing 4 will be covered by yesterdays break before of my shift startiing today at 6pm. As this day off is 38.5 hours - would VOSA think its “another” weekley rest?

As this weekend I will need to have another reduction in weekly rest by 6 hours again which will be paid back come the weekend of 30th July. Am I all above board and legal?

Break down of shifts…

Finish Last Sat: 22:00
Start work Mon 15:00
Rest: 41 hours (owe 4 hours)

Work
Mon: 15:00 - 03:00
Tues 15:00 - 03:00
Wed: Off - Rest of 38.5 hours
Thurs: 18:00 - 06:00 (Overtime)
Friday: 17:00 - 05:00
Sat 16:00 - ■■

Your first rest is compensated. VOSA could call it anything they liked.

Yes you are legal

Any rest taken as compensation for a reduced weekly rest
period shall be attached to another rest period of at least nine
hours.

A week still means the period of time between 00.00 on
Monday and 24.00 on Sunday

leo.saphira:
As this weekend I will need to have another reduction in weekly rest by 6 hours again which will be paid back come the weekend of 30th July. Am I all above board and legal?

Break down of shifts…

Work

Yes. you are legal but you need to remember that you can only have two shortened breaks in a row.
I am assuming that you had a full 45 hours on the break before your 41 hours off.
If you have the expected short break this weekend you must take the full 45 hours the next time.

In any two consecutive ‘fixed’ weeks a driver must take at least:

1.two regular weekly rests; or
2.one regular weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest.

Have a look here…

for good advice on how flexible the rules can be made to be.

Regards,
Nick

leo.saphira:
As I understand it and by reading posts here too… I Had 41 hours rest last weekend so I am owing the vosa rest back 4 hours (to make it 45).

Todays prior to starting work as I had a rota’d day off I will be on break for 38.5 hours so that break of min 9 hours inc me owing 4 will be covered by yesterdays break before of my shift startiing today at 6pm. As this day off is 38.5 hours - would VOSA think its “another” weekley rest?

Break down of shifts…

Work

Assuming that the 41 hour reduced weekly rest can be counted for this week and you had a full 45 hour weekly rest last week then you are legal with no compensation to pay back.

The 38.5 hours rest Wednesday/Thursday is a reduced weekly rest only for the purpose of allowing you to work another six 24 hour periods.

You will need to start a regular 45 hour weekly rest period before the end of next week.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK ncooper :wink:

ncooper:
you need to remember that you can only have two shortened breaks in a row.

Sorry but that’s not correct, there’s nothing in the regulations that says you can only have two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods.

As long as you have a regular weekly rest period of at-least 45 hours every second week you can have as many reduced weekly rest periods as you can fit in.

For instance if you had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period in week 1 you could have a reduced weekly rest period every other day until needing a regular weekly rest period starting before the end of week 3.

I know that’s a bit extreme and unlikely to happen but it’s an example just to show what could be done :wink:

Hello,

Yes,fair enough and I did quote the rule.
I rather think that the rules were written very much for the driver who has regular weekly rest breaks about 5 days apart.
It can’t be a coincidence that in much of Europe,most lorries must have 2200 sat to 2200 sun off.
It doesn’t look like the OP works two on and one off though. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nick

leo.saphira:

What other rest periods did you have prior to the 41-hour rest?

Based purely on the information given you will require to begin a rest of at least 45 hours before midnight Sunday so it will be illegal to reduce this weekends rest by 6 hours.

got a note from rog asking the same question above Erm last full break was prior to the Wednesday shift last week which was my long weekend of 5 days.

Will be working now to Mon night so on my list above this Sunday coming will be 12 hours from 6pm in yard duties. Same for Monday night. Off Tues next week for 24 hours as Mon will be my 6th chart. Work on Wed and Thurs for 2x 12 hour ■■■■■ then another long weekend starts on early Friday morning.

leo.saphira:
got a note from rog asking the same question above Erm last full break was prior to the Wednesday shift last week which was my long weekend of 5 days.

Will be working now to Mon night so on my list above this Sunday coming will be 12 hours from 6pm in yard duties. Same for Monday night. Off Tues next week for 24 hours as Mon will be my 6th chart. Work on Wed and Thurs for 2x 12 hour [zb] then another long weekend starts on early Friday morning.

That 5 day rest means you are fine reducing again this week, which you have already done, but you will need a full for next week.

Sent by Coffeeholic using this account and Tapawhatsit.

As you had a regular weekly rest period last week and you will have another regular weekly rest next week you have nothing to worry about :wink:

brilliant, thanks all time to get some overtime in now :wink: