Query re tacho rules

I posed this query to some one on another forum but never got a reply so hopin some one on here maybe able offer sum advise

wonder if you can help me with a little problem i can see happenin for meself and few other driver’s

I currently work for council and we move alot green waste tree cuttings shrubs etc so accordin to vosa we are exempt form tacho regs as not exceed so many km’s from base etc.

What my query is is how we stand as we been movin alot stuff that i would deem as mixed waste off allotment sites.

Eg soil,tin bit green waste, and all other allotment style stuff.

How would i stand if pulled by vosa with a load like this with no tacho in.

Accordin to our gov we ok as they deem it as green waste etc still i on other hand not so convinved be able wing it if the preverbal hit fan in lite accident or summing.

Hope i given u ruff idea my predicament

Much appreciated any help you can offer

Michael

hi mate,

if your not sure, why not just put a chart in? i can’t see a gaffer refuse to take it off you, an even if they did that’s up to them.

even if your exempt from running a chart arn’t you still supposed run to the regs??

stevie

i personally lob me card in regardless as know fine well be me that pics up the agro not the line manager.

Just wanted clarify it for other lads be honest as hate see them lumbered with fine or out.

Only thing with this job is no chance drivin more than a 15hrs a week far 2 many tea breaks to pick up any agro on drivin hrs side things lol.

cbhornet3:
i personally lob me card in regardless as know fine well be me that pics up the agro not the line manager.

Just wanted clarify it for other lads be honest as hate see them lumbered with fine or out.

Only thing with this job is no chance drivin more than a 15hrs a week far 2 many tea breaks to pick up any agro on drivin hrs side things lol.

You can always ask your local Vosa Office and have it in writing then carry the letter with you , simple as that

do you work or contract solely to the council
if so i would have thought you wouldnt need a tacho on locals

but if you did waste as a proper haulier from transfer station to elsewhere miles away you would

google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= … raph&meta=

may interst you

nick2008:
You can always ask your local Vosa Office and have it in writing then carry the letter with you , simple as that

Or E-mail VOSA with your query and print the reply to keep with you :bulb:
Enquiries@vosa.gov.uk

nick2008:

cbhornet3:

Only thing with this job is no chance drivin more than a 15hrs a week far 2 many tea breaks to pick up any agro on drivin hrs side things

then that alerts them to the sitution.

i would just put one in for saftey just in case… dos’ent hurt does it.

i will leave this thread here till tomorrow then i’ll be moving it to the safety driving reg’s forum :wink:

Im employeed direct by council at mo till winter maintence contract finishes

I always put a card or chart in as know it my neck on line if preverbal hit fan.

Just tryin get insight into how vosa would view it with a mixed load that contains sum green waste which council is exept from tacho regs for as not ecxeed the distance from base.

I would consider askin vosa direct when leave the job but not before due not need be queering any pitch of future full time employment when current contract ends at mo in todays climate of little work about etc

If its the council’s own work you’re doing i’d say you have nothing to worry about & they are well within the exemption regs.

However if they are contracting out the vehicle to do revenue earning general haulage work, then its altogether different. But tbh i can’t see a local council doing that.

Also, if your driving is “incidental to other work,” which at 15 hrs a week it obviously is, then i’m fairly sure there’s an exemption on that also.

Next you’ll be telling us they’re running the gritters on red!