Query on CPC for new driver

Hello

I’m undertaking my practical class 2 training next Monday (15th) and I have a query on the CPC I hope you can help with.

I have done the theory part (module 2?) but I will need the CPC before I can start work, How does one go about getting this, will it be included in my training next week?

And what about my Tacho card, Is this issued along with my certificate?

I want to be applying for jobs as soon as I get the pass and have only just thought about what else I will need.

Your DQC card will be forwarded to you when you’ve passed the initial driver CPC.

As you say you’ve done MOD 2 presumably you passed the car test after Jan 1st 1997 ?

Whether or not the Initial Driver CPC will be included in your training depends on what you’ve arranged with the training company but my understanding is that the initial CPC is usually separate from the driver training.

You apply to the DVLA for a tachograph card by downloading the form I’ve linked to bellow and sending it with the fee of £32 to the address on the form.

Driver Card Link

tachograph:
Your DQC card will be forwarded to you when you’ve passed the initial driver CPC.

As you say you’ve done MOD 2 presumably you passed the car test after Jan 1st 1997 ?

Whether or not the Initial Driver CPC will be included in your training depends on what you’ve arranged with the training company but my understanding is that the initial CPC is usually separate from the driver training.

You apply to the DVLA for a tachograph card by downloading the form I’ve linked to bellow and sending it with the fee of £32 to the address on the form.

Driver Card Link

Thank you,

Can I only apply for the Tacho card after i have passed, or is that something i can do now?
I will check with my training co. regarding the CPC.

Thanks again.

You can apply for a driver card any time you like, you don’t have to wait until you’ve passed the test.

Good luck with the training, I hope it goes well for you :wink:

callmedave:
Hello

I’m undertaking my practical class 2 training next Monday (15th) and I have a query on the CPC I hope you can help with.

I have done the theory part (module 2?) but I will need the CPC before I can start work, How does one go about getting this, will it be included in my training next week?

Hi callmedave,

From the info you’ve given, it looks like you’re going to need to do Mod 4 as well as the Mod 2 that you’ve already done.

Going by this route, you need to have completed both Mods 2 + 4 (called ‘initial’ DCPC) before you can get a job that pays you a wage for driving LGVs.

Once you’re up and running, you next need to think about periodic DCPC, which is 35 hrs of training to be completed within the five year period starting after you’ve registered your Mod 4. However, you CAN work as a driver of LGVs for wages during this period because you’d be using your initial DCPC qualification.

dieseldave:

callmedave:
Hello

Hi callmedave,

From the info you’ve given, it looks like you’re going to need to do Mod 4 as well as the Mod 2 that you’ve already done.

Going by this route, you need to have completed both Mods 2 + 4 (called ‘initial’ DCPC) before you can get a job that pays you a wage for driving LGVs.

Once you’re up and running, you next need to think about periodic DCPC, which is 35 hrs of training to be completed within the five year period starting after you’ve registered your Mod 4. However, you CAN work as a driver of LGVs for wages during this period because you’d be using your initial DCPC qualification.

Thanks DD

SO if I’m understanding right, I do my mod 4 (which is the practical part of the CPC correct?) then I will be issued my DPQC, then I will need to undertake 35 hours of CPC training within the next 5 years in order to renew my DPQC. - does that sound correct to you?

callmedave:
SO if I’m understanding right, I do my mod 4 (which is the practical part of the CPC correct?) then I will be issued my DPQC, then I will need to undertake 35 hours of CPC training within the next 5 years in order to renew my DPQC. - does that sound correct to you?

That’s correct.

callmedave:

dieseldave:

Thanks DD

tachograph has beaten me to this, but yes that’s correct.

I think of it as an ‘initial’ DCPC to get you going, then ‘periodic’ DCPC to keep you qualified.

You have to do the next lot of 35hrs (for your next certificate/card) during the period of your current certificate/card.

Anyway, getting back to part of your original question… some LGV driver training schools offer Mod 4 training and test, but you should always ask first.

:bulb: If you plan to do a licence upgrade (from “C” to “C+E”) then some training schools can count that training as part of your periodic DCPC, which kills two birds with one stone. Again, it’s always best to ask before making a booking because there is quite some variation in which things any particular training school offers.

Asking the right question at the right time can save you both your time and your money. :smiley:

Sorry to highjack this thread, but if i passed my car test in 1987 , do i not have to do any initial cpc.
Or do i still have to do mod 2 and 4 initial ?

Mandora:
Sorry to highjack this thread, but if i passed my car test in 1987 , do i not have to do any initial cpc.
Or do i still have to do mod 2 and 4 initial ?

You already have LGV C1 on your licence so only the 35 hours periodic needed - no initial 2 + 4

Thanks.
So i just have to pass my practical driving test.
Apply for my dcq and tacho card and im good for five years ?

Mandora:
Thanks.

If you have the done the 35 hours periodic dcpc training then yes

Mandora:
Thanks.

If you don’t already hold a DQC you need to do 35 hours periodic training to obtain one.

Cheers fella’s