Queens drive today

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo … -31803310/

Picture.jpg

It’s not shed it’s load, it’s dropped to bits :laughing:

Hardly a shed load? Another unit or recovery truck could’ve shifted that trailer in minutes :unamused:

Not sure how far he’d gone, but looks like a possible 5th wheel failure? it came off during a u-turn?

waynedl:
Hardly a shed load? Another unit or recovery truck could’ve shifted that trailer in minutes :unamused:

Not sure how far he’d gone, but looks like a possible 5th wheel failure? it came off during a u-turn?

I was wondering that myself, doesn’t look like the Kingpin’s dropped out and the trailers split, so possibly ripped the 5th wheel off the unit? Or the pin out of the trailer?

You lot must have X ray eyes, all i can tell is that the trailer seems to have seperated from the tractor, how the dickens can you tell whats happened from that one pic?

Juddian:
You lot must have X ray eyes, all i can tell is that the trailer seems to have seperated from the tractor, how the dickens can you tell whats happened from that one pic?

We’re discussing it, on a discussion forum, get over yourself :unamused:

waynedl:

Juddian:

\Ha Ha Ha thats a classic get over your self… I reckon he hasnt hooked up properly 1st canterlever BOOM !

on the plus side it was a lot lighter pulling away… :laughing: :blush: :blush: :blush:

although from the picture there is very little to see.
this is my version of what may have happened.

driver starts his shift, he does his daily checks.
he ticks all the boxes, and that’s all he’s allowed to do.
he can’t physically check the dog clip on the fifth wheel due to health and safety concerns, he might bang his head on the underside of the trailer.
he can’t check the oil, he hasn’t been assessed as a competent oil checker.
he can’t check his load, as he isn’t qualified to stand on his tiptoes due to working at height regulations.

this all sounds a bit daft, but there is an element of the true reality that endangers everyone, except the numpties that create company policies.

waynedl:

Juddian:

we?, where your previous post Mystic Meg?

beg pardon, just seen yer previous post.

Still want to know how anyone can tell from this one pic, i assumed there must be another pic from behind in the newspaper but blowed if i can find one.

Juddian:

waynedl:

Juddian:

we?, where your previous post Mystic Meg?

It’s above your posts :unamused:

Juddian:

Do you think he left the legs down then? They’re on the ground aren’t they… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Saratoga:

Juddian:

Do you think he left the legs down then? They’re on the ground aren’t they… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Looks as if they’re special foldaway types, use once and discard…

Was hoping someone might find a pic from t’other side , we’d all be intersted to see more.

Eleven times out of ten it’ll be because it’s not coupled properly over some catastrophic fifth wheel or king pin component failure.

The pic i’d like most to see is a shot of the top of the 5th wheel, wonder if its one of those cases where the jaws have locked, dog clip in all hunky dory, except the bloody king pin was only resting on the jaws, first decent bump off she comes.

Own Account Driver:
Eleven times out of ten it’ll be because it’s not coupled properly over some catastrophic fifth wheel or king pin component failure.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Juddian:
The pic i’d like most to see is a shot of the top of the 5th wheel, wonder if its one of those cases where the jaws have locked, dog clip in all hunky dory, except the bloody king pin was only resting on the jaws, first decent bump off she comes.

I would wager money on that being the case. Driver didn’t use his air suspension to raise the trailer before engaging the pin. It only needs to be a few milimetres away from the rubbing plate, and the pin will sit on top of the engaged jaws, sometimes for hundreds of miles on smooth motorway routes, sometimes for a few yards until the first tight turn. Seen it, been there, fortunately haven’t done it!

truckerjon:

Juddian:

I would wager money on that being the case. Driver didn’t use his air suspension to raise the trailer before engaging the pin. It only needs to be a few milimetres away from the rubbing plate, and the pin will sit on top of the engaged jaws, sometimes for hundreds of miles on smooth motorway routes, sometimes for a few yards until the first tight turn. Seen it, been there, fortunately haven’t done it!

It happened to one of the fleet i worked for many years ago, before air suspensions, travelled all the way down the M4 from Bristol and the bloody thing dropped off in The Embankment London.

None of us could work out how it happened.

However a while later i had reason to pick up a loaded trailer that had been dropped on quite a camber but tractor still on the level if that makes any sense, pick up height fine, reversed under and it jaws locked…BUT, something didn’t sound quite right with the jaws closing, so put the lines and dragged the trl down to level ground and had a look see with a view to re-doing the pick up, sure enough there was a small gap showing between 5th wheel and rubbing plate, it was indeed sitting on the jaws.
From that day on part of my after coupling check is for a tight fit between plate and wheel.