queen liz

Waste of money really cause someone in a darkened room the other side of the world will take it out with a bloody great missile that can fly at supersonic speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredthered:
Waste of money really cause someone in a darkened room the other side of the world will take it out with a bloody great missile that can fly at supersonic speed

It is quite possible that the pointy heads may have just considered that very scenario and have employed effective counter measures on the vessel that will involve significantly more than a 17 year old stood on deck holding a tennis racket to swat the incoming missiles back.

the maoster:

fredthered:

It is quite possible that the pointy heads may have just considered that very scenario and have employed effective counter measures on the vessel that will involve significantly more than a 17 year old stood on deck holding a tennis racket to swat the incoming missiles back.

Fair comment but the Argentinians managed it without any great sophistication. I just think there is no need for large navy’s or air forces in the modern world [emoji848]

I would have thought Exocet missiles were quite sophisticated …

Glen A9:

robroy:
I said that :neutral_face:

No, you said RO8, it’s R08 (zero eight).
R indicates an aircraft carrier, followed by a two digit number.

Ark Royal was R07.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_number

That’s good standard nit picking :wink:

malcolmgbell:

Carryfast:
This was when we had proper ones. :wink:

eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1674 … 4%2B06.jpg

not that proper really

Harriers v Phantoms. :open_mouth: The Argies didn’t go for the Falklands in the 1970’s as opposed to 1980’s for a reason in that regard.While the ability to put the brakes on in mid air isn’t much use when trying to intercept something or catch something flying away from you.IE ‘carriers’ without catapults aren’t ‘proper’ ‘carriers’ and the F35 will prove no better,probably worse,than the Harrier in any real air superiority scrap. :bulb: :wink:

fredthered:

the maoster:

fredthered:

Fair comment but the Argentinians managed it without any great sophistication. I just think there is no need for large navy’s or air forces in the modern world [emoji848]

Technology has advanced a great deal since the Falklands war :wink:

Anyway if the HMS Queen Elizabeth gets sunk we’ll be able to take her sister ship HMS Prince of Wales (R09) out of mothballs :exclamation:

raymundo:

the argies just got lucky that was all but the exocet missile was quite advanced for that era of warfare

robroy:
Can’t understand why they took the Harrier out of service.
If they had continued and developed the vertical take off planes the carrier would not have to be so [zb] big…bigger target.

:confused:

The QE is a continuation of the idea of not speccing catapults in favour of compromised silly single engined vertical/short take off so called ‘fighters’ like the Harrier and now F35.Usual Brit tactic of risking and wasting the lives of our forces to save a few bob in taxes for the rich. :imp:

Meanwhile another ‘proper’ one. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=xkvLUBOKdGc

scotstrucker:

raymundo:

the argies just got lucky that was all but the exocet missile was quite advanced for that era of warfare

The Argies didn’t get ‘lucky’ they actually knew we had credible no sea borne air superiority intercept cabability to take out the Etendard.Which was actually just a relatively slow sitting duck given some decent fighters like the Phantom. :frowning:

Good to see Trucknet is populated by defence industry experts. :wink: I was at Newport News a couple of weeks ago, the shipyard where US ships are built…incredible seeing 3 aircraft carriers side by side being constructed. I say ‘at’ but we were across the river. My friend works for BAE Systems so a look at Newport News was his bus man’s holiday

Also when I went to see him for new year a friend of his who’s a Royal Navy officer that serves on a US submarine got to show me around the USS Hartford. Absolutely fascinating, one of best thing I’ve ever done on holiday. They were just prepping it to go to sea. The funniest bit is the fact it has an ice cream maker and we had ice cream. Apparently when that breaks down mid tour moral amongst the sailors noticibly drops!

switchlogic:
Also when I went to see him for new year a friend of his who’s a Royal Navy officer that serves on a US submarine got to show me around the USS Hartford. Absolutely fascinating, one of best thing I’ve ever done on holiday. They were just prepping it to go to sea. The funniest bit is the fact it has an ice cream maker and we had ice cream. Apparently when that breaks down mid tour moral amongst the sailors noticibly drops!

There is still time (just) for you to join up Luke , then you can wax lyrical all day about sleek grey messengers of death :wink:

Could you do me a favour and mention my name at the recruiting office so i get my £250 refer a friend fee lol

God no, I could never serve on a sub, it’d do my noodle in. In fact I couldn’t serve full stop, I’m not cut out for such things! Besides, I’m probably way past that age wise

Nor could I as I’m scared of heights …

switchlogic:
God no, I could never serve on a sub, it’d do my noodle in. In fact I couldn’t serve full stop, I’m not cut out for such things! Besides, I’m probably way past that age wise

I beleive the cut off age for the reserves is 42 …although the RN as been advised by the government to target more diverse minority groups so if you are a black disabled transgender lesbian muslim they are desperate to recruit you and fast track promotion is a certain lol

spike78:
so if you are a black disabled transgender lesbian muslim they are desperate to recruit you and fast track promotion is a certain lol

Fantastic! That’s all my boxes ticked then. Where do I sign up?

the maoster:

spike78:
so if you are a black disabled transgender lesbian muslim they are desperate to recruit you and fast track promotion is a certain lol

Maybe that’s the Navy’s master plan.They hope the Russians will be so busy laughing they’ll forget about any war and the fact that our ‘carriers’ can’t actually ‘carry’ any decent aircraft won’t matter. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Are you left handed?

the maoster:

spike78:

:laughing: