Quality of Continental Drivers working for UK companies?

This 3-30 this afternoon I was driving to a friends home in the country, I was passing alongside the M2 services on a country road and to my utter amazement a truck was turning of the services access road onto the country lane I was travelling along.

Well thats the end of my journey I thought, this rigs going to get well and truly stuck along this road, Of went the truck and lot faster than I would have done even in my car.

Being a decent old school driver I knew I had to stop and help him, I flashed my lights and honked my horn, as luck would have it a car came in the opposite direction, that stopped him out I jumped and ran up to the truck a right hand drive Scania, The driver seemed suprised, He didnt look to be British well I asked “Polish” yes he replied, but in very good english.

Now all of us at one time or another has taken a wrong turning, driven up a one way street to load or unload, driven over the speed limit even driven to many hours, but this is where the difference between a British driver and an Eastern European end.

Firstly the truck pulling a fridge could not have gone more than another 500yds down the road before he would have stuffed the front top of the trailer due to large overhead branches, the road then goes down to about 2.5 mtrs wide and more bends in it than a slithering snake, he would have been, STUCK FAST, and would have needed a wrecker to pull him out backwards.

The Polish driver then argued with me saying the "Tom Tom " (Polish version) must be correct as he was following the directions given, ( Ok we all know that they do not give truck routes over car routes , mistakes happen!!! )

This driver was on his first trip to the UK, he works for, OK he relied on his sat nav, I asked him for his map to help him get to his drop,he did not have a UK map , but was very proud to tell me he gets £440 a week, and will tip and load at the same place tonight, where did you come from , loaded yesterday in the South of France he said and will tip then reload tonight for Asda Bristol tomorrow AM.

Point I am making is, no wonder our industry is shot if someone can load Monday South of France, deliver Tuesday early evening, reload same time then shoot off to Bristol same evening for delivery Wednesday morning .

He had no UK map, no clue of motorways v country roads, and worse still did not seem to care as he stated that Polish drivers worked harder than British ones, Thats why we get the British jobs.

Now remember that I stopped to help him, not to hear insults about my fellow countymen, I like any decent Englishman helped him out, drew a map to his delivery point, helped him turn round in the only possible place in the lane at a civil engineers yard, and baid him farewell.

I remember in the 70s/80s most drivers stopped and helped out when we were over the pond, in the latter years it became less and less.

The lesson learned today, is Would I stop to help another Polish driver. I will leave it to you to work that out.

Company name removed…Colingl

Surely the company in question should be held accountable for giving thier drivers the above workload , knowingly employing drivers that will break the regs , because they also know that if they are caught nothing will happen apart from maybe being parked up for 11 hrs ( see last nights Motorway Cops Polish driver )

Makes me puke :imp:

South of France is a big place, it could be done legally, probaly.
What is the point of your post, is this the start of a ‘Lets bash the jonny foreigner again!!!’
We all make mistakes i’ve turned round more times than I care to remember, and i’ve been down some pretty narrow lanes that I shouldn’t of been down, not only in this country but all over Europe aswell.
PS I’m actually in those services tonight

Well he did not seem to need any help :open_mouth: :question: If TOMTOM told him :wink: :question: I was always told any help was better than none :question: I would had left him carry on with his TOMTOM route… :wink: Sorry to say… :confused:

I work with a polish guy, and I can honestly say he is so determined to do things the proper way he puts most of us to shame. He also speaks excellent English, and if he’s not sure about something he’ll always ask. The guy works with a smile on his face and never fails to ask you how you are doing. A breath of fresh air if you ask me. I never judge a book by its cover, but by every individual on their own merits. I know where you’re coming from pasttrucking. There’s a lot of frustration in our industry at the moment. Therefore any foreign company that’s running bent for whatever reason in the uk should get hammered. Incidentally, I’ve had about 4 near misses within the last couple of days with other UK registered trucks driving erratically. Were they all foreign drivers ■■?

imagine the the polish version of TN, a british driver over in Poland following his satnav makes a mistake and the afore mentioned could have been typed on their site.

british driveras are so far up their own behinds it’s not real. I’ve seen us good old brits make some howlers over the water but nothing is said about them.

get your own life i n order before you condemn someone for making a mistake.

life is not black and white like the Brits make it out to be, there are some grey areas.

RACIST

a POINT HERE forget about the driver being polish, or where
he has just driven from, The biggest mistake I belive is that of
not haveing a map and useing it in connjunction with the navi.
I am a user of both navi and atlas , and the navi is not and
never will be perfect as the daliy road situation changes
bringing other problems that only the driver can master,
The driver deserves a kick up the proverbal, and need to get
properly equipped with maps so he can avoid such mistakes again,
and this is for all those who belive that they only need a navi

Just found this report on a sister web site and thought that
the good news should be passed around , on the driveing skills
as we havr had the lorry in the serven, this is a driver who likes
takeing his truck on the beach,by the way , it is a french driver
who likes useing a NAVI;;;

here

THERE IS ALSO a flim clip as well,

brit pete:

here

Does anybody remeber a while back (i think it was on tv) where i an artic part of a circus in a town tried to turn right out of a junction and got wedged between tree’s the council had to chain saw quite a few tree’s to get him out!!!

How the hell did he get an artic down to Maenporth beach in the first place…it was fun/tight taking an optare solo (bus) down there.

especially when something comes the other way.

(ps I know it quite well because one of my cousins owns a resturant down there…no it’s not the beach cafe)

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
imagine the the polish version of TN, a british driver over in Poland following his satnav makes a mistake and the afore mentioned could have been typed on their site.

british driveras are so far up their own behinds it’s not real. I’ve seen us good old brits make some howlers over the water but nothing is said about them.

life is not black and white like the Brits make it out to be, there are some grey areas.

RACIST

The point I was making was the Polish drivers attitude towards our drivers, not his errors, but he should have had a map■■?

Is it a pay and display car park and is he gettin clamped if he shouldnt be parked there ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Boss Hog:
Well he did not seem to need any help :open_mouth: :question: If TOMTOM told him :wink: :question: I was always told any help was better than none :question: I would had left him carry on with his TOMTOM route… :wink: Sorry to say… :confused:

me as well mate some people no matter what country there from can be just pig ignorant :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

RACIST

Why is it that whenever anybody comments on foreigners they are branded racist? Surely there are REAL racist attitudes about that need to be dealt with.

Besides, Isnt Polish a nationality, not a race?

If the bloke who made a mistake with a sat nav was Polish, he will be slaughtered, although the Mortimer chip truck who had to be lifted out of the village with a crane had simply made a mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

This scene took place on a flight between Jhb, South Africa & London.

A white woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a black man. Very
disturbed by this, she called the air hostess. ‘You obviously do not see
it then?’ she asked. ‘You placed me next to a Black man. I did not agree
to sit next to someone from such a repugnant Group. Give me an
alternative seat.’

‘Be calm please,’ the hostess replied. ‘Almost all the places on this
flight are taken. I will go to see if another place is available.’

The hostess went away & then came back a few minutes later. ‘Madam, just
as I thought, there are no other available seats in Economy Class. I
spoke to the captain & he informed me that there is also no seat in
Business Class. All the same, we still have one place in First Class.’
Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued, 'It is
unusual for our company to permit someone from Economy Class to sit in
First Class.

However, given the circumstances, the captain feels that it would be
scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting. She turned
to the black guy & said, ‘Therefore, Sir, if you would like to,
please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in First Class.’ At
that moment, the other passengers, who’d been shocked by what they had
just witnessed, stood up & applauded.

This is a true story… If you are against racism, please send this to
all your friends; please do not delete it without sending it to at least
1 person.

WELL DONE, British Airways!!

dreva:

Boss Hog:

me as well mate some people no matter what country there from can be just pig ignorant :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Can you mention pigs on a racist post? :stuck_out_tongue:

The only reason muslims avoid pork is because the crackling gets stuck behind their ■■■■■■■■ :wink:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

RACIST

the point the original poster was making was that although he offered assistance to this driver it was quite clearly thrown back in his face. I certainly didn’t perceive the post to have a racist element and, as nobody else has brought this angle up, I don’t think they did either. The only racist on here is you for even thinking along those lines.

■■■■■■ :unamused:

The polish guy didn’t seem to appreciate the assistance given even though he needed some.
He was foolish for coming here without a map. But that dosn’t mean he’s an idiot.
As for loading in the south of france monday tipping uk tuesday, it can be done legal.
I have never met a lazy polish worker but i’ve met a lot of lazy british workers, if that’s the correct word.

brit pete:

here

THERE IS ALSO a flim clip as well,

I am confused by this, where was the sat nav sending him to? was it a boat or something, i have no idea where this is, but I would guess it is a dead end road, so unless that was the destination the sat nav wouldn’t send him that way

working supposedley hard is no excuse for running bent!! there putting british people out of work! go and live over there if you love em so much! they have no respect for our rules! i might be out of a job on friday, i work hard but the differance is i obey the rules!!