Qualifications needed for driving in France

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

If I wanted to use my hgv licence and DCPC in France, not driving through but based in France, do my UK qualifications count.

If I wanted to get even a part time job locally down there would I need to take any local exams? Or would flashing my dcpc card work?

emwmarine:
If I wanted to use my hgv licence and DCPC in France, not driving through but based in France, do my UK qualifications count.

Yes, but once your licence expires at age 45, you would have to exchange it to a french one after your medical.

emwmarine:
If I wanted to get even a part time job locally down there would I need to take any local exams? Or would flashing my dcpc card work?

Yes.

Héraultais:

emwmarine:

Yes, but once your licence expires at age 45, you would have to exchange it to a french one after your medical.

If he still has an address in the UK he could renew his licence over there after 45 as I did 18 months ago but to be practical you’re right, it’s better to have an Fr licence.

(even more important… do you speak French, or are you at least willing to learn as you won’t get far here otherwise?)

i’m 52 already, so have missed the 45 mark! I can speak reasonable french so that helps. Just thinking about it at the moment.

Craig 111:

If he still has an address in the UK he could renew his licence over there after 45 as I did 18 months ago but to be practical you’re right, it’s better to have an Fr licence.

Not legally though, you have to sign a declaration that you reside in the UK :wink: I am currently in the process of exchanging mine, 6 to 9 months before I see my licence according to the prefecture! Medical was only 33 euros though :smiley:

emwmarine:
i’m 52 already, so have missed the 45 mark! I can speak reasonable french so that helps. Just thinking about it at the moment.

Have a look at the France thread in the Ex-pats forum for more info about working over here. If you’ve got reasonable French you’ll be fine. As long as you can communicate with the traffic planners and delivery / collection staff.

Where are you looking at geographically?

I taught myself French as my school teacher was too strict and i did not learn anything.
In the school library i used childrens books.
Starting at the very basic age group.
Then slowly working up to adult level books.
When sat in the Rouitiers,for a long time i could not understand what the drivers were saying or the waitress.
Due to different dialects and accents that threw me off teack.
Then all of a sudden i understood.
Ordering food that i did not like and pointing to what the other driver was eating,was a thing of the past.
Gstting stopped by the Gendarmes and Douanes was a breeze cracking jokes about Thatcher and Blair.
At many check points i was only there a few seconds as they admired a foreigner speaking fluent French.Shaking of hands and gone.